Author Topic: Dev blog comments thread  (Read 35185 times)

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
Re: Dev blog comments thread

If you've ever played a WW2 flight simulator you will know EXACLY what im talking about, i wanna hit the deck on galactica after a hard mission with a smoking crate of a viper :P

More subsystem damage!!!

QFT

I play IL-2 Sturmovik : 1946. On full realism settings, oil blots your forward view, a series of holes in one wing causes the plane to tip that way, the engine is grinding, belching forth black obscuring smoke, your pilot's wounded, there's cracked instrumentation and a holed canopy, you're out of ammo which doesn't matter as the guns are shot away/jammed, you're losing fuel and just when you think your safe on your final approach to the airfield, your nemesis comes out of the sun and rips the life out of you.

Brutal, hard, real. That's a fighter's life.

Adding consequences to the action of being shot can only add to the game and the relief and joy of only just getting back alive is why I keep returning to flight sims that reward smart pilots.
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline Mr.Ferret

• The ferrets were made by man...

If you've ever played a WW2 flight simulator you will know EXACLY what im talking about, i wanna hit the deck on galactica after a hard mission with a smoking crate of a viper :P

More subsystem damage!!!

QFT

I play IL-2 Sturmovik : 1946. On full realism settings, oil blots your forward view, a series of holes in one wing causes the plane to tip that way, the engine is grinding, belching forth black obscuring smoke, your pilot's wounded, there's cracked instrumentation and a holed canopy, you're out of ammo which doesn't matter as the guns are shot away/jammed, you're losing fuel and just when you think your safe on your final approach to the airfield, your nemesis comes out of the sun and rips the life out of you.

Brutal, hard, real. That's a fighter's life.

Adding consequences to the action of being shot can only add to the game and the relief and joy of only just getting back alive is why I keep returning to flight sims that reward smart pilots.

100% correct (former IL2 pilot myself)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Adding consequences to the action of being shot can only add to the game

Actually no.  Unless done very carefully it can really detract from the game by making it very frustrating. Like one hit kills this is the sort of thing hardcore fans demand but which can very quickly alienate the more casual gamer.

Exactly what we're going to do about this sort of thing is under consideration and will be decided once the game is further into development and we have a better idea whether it would unbalance the game or not.

The idea of having realism settings is a good one though but it would require code changes which we can't make in time for R1 (And would probably need extra coders in order to have ready for later releases).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mr.Ferret

• The ferrets were made by man...
but surely implementing basic subsystem failures would be easy right? they were already in regular FS2.

just like engine failure etc or am i way out of my depth? lol
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:42:29 am by Mr.Ferret »

Offline Fish

• Nugget
I'm pretty sure they were in BtRL.

But they had the default FS2 behaviour, or close to it. That is, for a fighter the subsystems are small and unlikely to be hit significantly before your hull fails, and they auto-repair anyway.
<><

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
Adding consequences to the action of being shot can only add to the game

Actually no.  Unless done very carefully it can really detract from the game by making it very frustrating. Like one hit kills this is the sort of thing hardcore fans demand but which can very quickly alienate the more casual gamer.

I never suggested one hit kills and I know a game like IL-2 is vastly different from this type of game and the type of person it is aimed at but I still hold that a few sparks and the cockpit shuddering isn't enough when being shot at by something designed to kill.

A balance is absolutely necessary of course it is, I agree with that.

Coming back again to IL-2 as the only game I can relate to this, it has multiple settings and adjustments in single player and multi player. I agree one hit kills would not work at all with this game (and even in IL-2 one hit kills are very rare) but I'd like something along the lines of after a certain threshold has been reached, that maybe a scripted event happens such as instruments in the cockpit crack and/or blow out.

Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I didn't say you did suggest one hit kills but it was a frequent comment after the BtRL demo and I tend to put it in the same group as wishes for a more complex damage system.

I read this a while ago and found it very interesting. It basically illustrates the problem I'm on about. Concentrating too hard on the hardcore userbase can easily result in a game that is unplayable. So basically we're going to listen to you but do it the way we feel works best for everyone. :)

You are of course welcome to think about and discuss a way we can make everyone happy or better yet find a coder to step up and code it for us. :) For instance having the cockpit show damage is a nice idea. But we'd want a graphics coder to step up and help the SCP implement the materials system before we could do it. And we'd probably need more good artists to step up and help us implement it once we had the code.

for a fighter the subsystems are small and unlikely to be hit significantly before your hull fails, and they auto-repair anyway.

Auto-repair can be  turned off though IIRC. I think it was just an oversight in BtRL that it wasn't. 

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
From the top of my head.. wasn't it on/offable via the settings form in FRED2?

Best,
- Deckard
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
no
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
ah, ty

- Deckard - k t dn x qlo
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I read this a while ago and found it very interesting. It basically illustrates the problem I'm on about. Concentrating too hard on the hardcore userbase can easily result in a game that is unplayable. So basically we're going to listen to you but do it the way we feel works best for everyone. :)
Wow, that definately should be seen by the fools at bungie.net as they [bungie] seem to have mastered talking to HC fans, and not really doing anything.

And has anyone seen recent word on Il-2 console game. it seems to have no site, rumored release soon, or maybe it was canceled :mad:

And on topic:
wouldn't a HC mode and complex damage be a great feature for SCP in v. 4.0 or something.
personally i think it would be a shave better than FPS emulation

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Awesome squad badges!! :yes:

Downloaded...pcx-ified...assimilated into my game :D

Offline IceWulfe

• mmmm sheeep
My 2 cents is actually two fold....1.If you look at all the known squadrons from WWI til present they all have some sort of squadron symbol
either near the nose of the craft or the tail.. and since this BSG is more to the tune of our own present day military then badges should not be
out of the question(but if it sets the release date of the thing any further behind then leave them the FRAK out)

2.I don't know if this was brought up but is there going to be Cylon missons as well ...Like X-wingvsTie fighter you could be Rebel or Imp
in the single player missions.
DON'T go full retard

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We're not making any single player Cylon missions for R1 at present. We almost certain will be making them at some point though. Bear in mind that FRED is included in the release so if we don't make one someone else will.

Offline Shade

Damn it, someone noticed. Now we'll have to redo that model with extra obfuscation :(
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Echelon9

Damn it, someone noticed. Now we'll have to redo that model with extra obfuscation :(

Of course, from that set of photos, the converse is true: NASA is yet to develop a Viper...

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Those are some might damn pretty ships you got there.

Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That basestar is a placeholder? Good God!

I hope the final one looks as good. Sometimes final products mysteriously seem less attractive than the placeholders.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Apparently Meleardil says it's so bad he'll refused us permission to use it in Shattered Armistice until it's been re-textured properly. Personally apart from a couple of minor issues I can't tell what the hell he's on about. :D

But I'm sure he'll be similarly bemused when the FREDders on the team say that missions aren't ready cause of a bunch of niggling little details too. :)