Author Topic: Steam sells an empty folder  (Read 2496 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Steam sells an empty folder

I thought this was pretty funny. Especially when you consider that given it's Steam you don't even actually own the empty folder.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: Steam sells an empty folder
Haha Sounds like buying games from Steam is actually becoming like a big loot box. The customer buys a folder and it may or may not have the game, or the game you want.  :lol:

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
A new entry in the saga of "Steam is a terrible store" ... granted it is a new level of either a scam or a bug that "got past" their lacking oversight...

Someone needs to make a riff on the situation using footage from "Der Tartortreiniger", Season 3 Episode 3*, I think

*if you don't get the reference: "Der Tartortreiniger" (translates to "The Crime Scene Clearner") is a german comedy show with a dry sense of humor and more than little satire in the mix; the set-up is that we are following the work days of a blue collar man working for a special cleaning service that among other things cleans up murder scenes after the investigators are through, and on every crime scene he meets some rather unique personalities ... I don't know if the humor translates well 'cause of some perculiarities (like the wink and nod at the "Tatort"-crime serieal which has been a staple for Sunday TV evenings, esspecially now that you can be hipster-ironic about it)

Season 3, Episode 3 see the protagonist having to work inside the parody of administration building because a senior offical died at his desk (due to heartattack) and his colleagues didn't bother to notice for two weeks
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:55:20 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You'd think testing something like that would be easy to automate....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
With all the absurd amounts of money that Valve is hoarding through steam, you'd think just hiring a couple of people to manually check each release for **** like this, wouldn't be that absurd of an idea.
Valve has become an incredibly ****ty greedy corperation that seems completely averse to even doing the most basic check on what people they do business with.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I would say, better paid some over 1$ for an empty folder instead of 60$ for a DVD-Case that has only a DVD with a PDF on it, with shows nothing more than the game key you have to enter in Steam  :rolleyes:
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

With all the absurd amounts of money that Valve is hoarding through steam, you'd think just hiring a couple of people to manually check each release for **** like this, wouldn't be that absurd of an idea.
Valve has become an incredibly ****ty greedy corperation that seems completely averse to even doing the most basic check on what people they do business with.

And if they do remove things, it's often... dumb

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Look at all that dirty ASCII art, someone please think of the childeren  :shaking:

Of all the dumb **** Steam is doing and not doing, its also being inconsistent and dumb about 18+ material. There seem to be no clear guideline what is or isn't allowed. And what isn't allowed is often seemingly easily circumvented with patches and/or modding. So whats the point of not allowing it in the first place? Just make a mature section on steam instead?
Valve should get its **** in order. But evidence of the past few years seems to paint a picture of that not happening. ever.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

lol @ the extremely stereotypical RPS axegrinding in the latter part of the article
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Including not releasing the Half Life 2: Episode 3, when they kept promising and never lived up their word :hopping:
Requiescat in pace

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Apparently they've added the executable back. The game did not improve.

Offline Snarks

So I've released a game on Steam myself, and I can confirm that they do actually try to launch the game to verify its content, as they try to make sure everything advertised on the store page is accurate. The issue is that the developer is allowed to upload a new build after the review is over, which doesn't get checked at all.

That said, this means there is in fact someone on the other end booting up a game and at least getting to the menu screen. And this means a real person is actually sampling all the shovelware that gets put on Steam.

So I've released a game on Steam myself, and I can confirm that they do actually try to launch the game to verify its content, as they try to make sure everything advertised on the store page is accurate. The issue is that the developer is allowed to upload a new build after the review is over, which doesn't get checked at all.

That said, this means there is in fact someone on the other end booting up a game and at least getting to the menu screen. And this means a real person is actually sampling all the shovelware that gets put on Steam.

Did you release it the normal way, or though Steam Direct?

(also, you have a link for your game?)

Offline Snarks

I released on Early Access through Steam Direct. Here's my game:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/666820/

Steam requires developers to upload a build and set up the store page, then request a review. Just for reference, my game has 3 game modes, which are advertised under the store page. On the first review attempt, I failed the process because I had removed the button for one of the game modes after having left a message citing that it was not yet ready for public play. I later received approval after re-enabling access to that mode. Since the game mode selection requires a little bit of navigating through the menu, this means whoever was reviewing the build of my game had to do more than just launch the game. We've also seen games with quite frankly horrible looking menus. But I think so long as the game has everything that's promised on the store page, it'll pass, even if it looks like it was put together in 5 minutes.

I also continued to upload new builds after the review process prior to release, and it didn't require a new review. I suspect the issue with at least some of the missing executable or missing files/folders games is related to developers not properly uploading a build to Steam, perhaps having a faulty directory path in their Steam uploader/builder scripts.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:35:08 am by Snarks »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Have you watched the video I posted? You mean to say someone actually played the game for more than 10 seconds and then decided that it was okay to be on Steam? That's even worse than assuming this was a cock up due to everything being automated!

Offline Snarks

Have you watched the video I posted? You mean to say someone actually played the game for more than 10 seconds and then decided that it was okay to be on Steam? That's even worse than assuming this was a cock up due to everything being automated!

I've watched it. And yes, that is the horrifying conclusion that I have come to terms with. It might be the case that Valve only checks X% of games submitted for review, or that its reviewers are horribly inconsistent when it comes to evaluating a game. Either way, it seems the only metric they care about is that the store page is not lying about what it is offering, and I use the term "offering" loosely.