Author Topic: Light Twice The Torches!  (Read 1366 times)

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Light Twice The Torches!
So, Torchlight II is finally out, probably more of a spiritual sequel to Diablo II than Blizzard's latest smelly failheap.

Who's playing?  :D

Runic's servers are derping pretty hard, but for those interested, the VPN service Tunngle has plenty of TL2 lobbies going and it's working just fine. TBH I prefer using a VPN anyway. If anyone wants to do some co-op, I'd be happy to set up some games.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Light Twice The Torches!
I would have played it yesterday.....

...but then their servers derped so hard you could hear it from space.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I was disappointed, but not surprised. Even the vaunted Blizzard couldn't keep their servers going for D3's launch, with all their experience running WoW servers.

If anything, I suppose it's a good thing the game is MORE popular than Runic imagined, if only because of their refreshing attitude shared only by a tiny number of studios (the most well-known other being CD Projeckt) that publishers are jerks, digital distribution is awesome, and that the savings should be passed down to the customer.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The problem is, if your tagline is "We're diablo done right", and you make cooperative multiplayer a big part of the appeal, you have to make sure that you can actually deliver the goods on launch day. Sure, launch traffic is always going to be big, but I would have thought that with the lengthy preorder period on Steam, they would have had at least ballpark estimates for the number of login attempts they would be subjected to.

And another thing: Why do they have a stat tracking system separate from Steam that requires those login shenanigans in the first place?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:52:01 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

• Operates at 375 kelvin
The problem is, if your tagline is "We're diablo done right", and you make cooperative multiplayer a big part of the appeal, you have to make sure that you can actually deliver the goods on launch day. Sure, launch traffic is always going to be big, but I would have thought that with the lengthy preorder period on Steam, they would have had at least ballpark estimates for the number of login attempts they would be subjected to.

And another thing: Why do they have a stat tracking system separate from Steam that requires those login shenanigans in the first place?

The thing is that the game is being offered on waaay more than just Steam. GOG, Perfect World, and a few other digital distribution networks have it. Was it what I would have done? Probably not; I think Steam and the poor launch of D3 was all the publicity it needed, but oh well. Everything seems to be working fine now, although I'm still going to use a VPN to do co-op with friends. I, too, don't like the idea of logging on to a centralized server on top of the centralized server I already bought and run the game through.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:54:35 pm by TwentyPercentCooler »

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
At least, unlike Diablo 3, you don't have to be online to play the game, meaning you could still just solo it on day 1.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I purchased this game on steam, and may wish to play with you gentlemen at a later time.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D