Author Topic: Roleplaying in Star Citizen and elsewhere  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
Roleplaying in Star Citizen and elsewhere
More to the point how are you guys going to role play? Millitary, pirates, mercs, anarchists, traders, cult?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: Roleplaying in Star Citizen and elsewhere
I feel like roleplaying would just make me easily killed, so no, personally.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'll be going as myself for halloween, etc.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I really cannot say at this point. I am not one to "get into character" as it were in online games, but it really depends on how the game turns out. Given how big a factor immersion is for the dev team, I'm sure that some roles will come more natural than others.

Personally, I'd like to do some exploring and PvE, but it's really a question of how the economy works out. (So my first goals will be to get a Freelancer or Constellation and see what one can do with those)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
More to the point how are you guys going to role play? Millitary, pirates, mercs, anarchists, traders, cult?

Clear Military - Hunting pirates should be fun ;) And this is a persistant universe - so a choice is set. Thats my role . The ships gives me my part of a battle but a pirate hunter is a pirate hunter. So I cannot visit systems hold by pirates. At least not alone ;) A big military fleet with a few dozen others is another one :P
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Role playing is more likely to kill the mood than anything as far as I'm concerned, I have never seen any kind of "role-playing" from players in a video game that didn't feel utterly fake.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Luis Dias

I don't think people need to "role play". If you happen to cross with mercenaries that are complete assholes, killers and burglars, then I'd say that this is what those people "really" are in their minds, and probably it's just real life always getting in front of their true desires to be assholes.

Offline Mikes

Role playing is more likely to kill the mood than anything as far as I'm concerned, I have never seen any kind of "role-playing" from players in a video game that didn't feel utterly fake.

NWN persistent worlds back in the day. The ones that had a dungeon master to every 5-10 players.

Better than Pen and Paper sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:16:40 am by Mikes »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't think people need to "role play". If you happen to cross with mercenaries that are complete assholes, killers and burglars, then I'd say that this is what those people "really" are in their minds, and probably it's just real life always getting in front of their true desires to be assholes.

Pull the other one, it plays Dungeons and Dragons. (This is a dangerous and dangerously dumb line of thought to go down, because it implies we create that which we truly desire. And James Patterson is secretly a serial killer who wants to be a winged humanoid while everyone who ever played Deathwatch is a xenophobe and every time you've played an FPS in multi it's because you secretly really want to shoot people.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:20:37 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

Not dumb nor dangerous, but astonishingly obvious. If people didn't want to be on a ship shooting at other ships and destroying them, if people didn't like the feeling of fragging other people, etc., then such games would be about something else entirely. This is beyond obvious, we are murderers who channel our bloodiest desires through sophisticated, intelligent and harmless games. And yes, we are indeed xenophobes and all the bad things you can think of. Sorry to break it to you.

Offline Mikes

Not dumb nor dangerous, but astonishingly obvious. If people didn't want to be on a ship shooting at other ships and destroying them, if people didn't like the feeling of fragging other people, etc., then such games would be about something else entirely. This is beyond obvious, we are murderers who channel our bloodiest desires through sophisticated, intelligent and harmless games. And yes, we are indeed xenophobes and all the bad things you can think of. Sorry to break it to you.

Play and Reality are two entirely different things and have entirely different boundaries.

Even children are proven to be able to make that distinction.

Offline Luis Dias

That's not even related to what I said. Of course we all can distinguish them. That's why we have no trouble fragging hundreds of others per day while we would be tortured for life had we killed someone even with all the best moral defeses you can think of (self defense + accident + etc).

The desires are still there though. It's a reptile brain for some part that we have here.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
From now on I'll play tetris in space only.

lie...
el hombre vicio...

Offline Luis Dias

I was obsessed with that game and now I'm an architect. So there. QED.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

You appear to be confusing "this excites me" with "this is something I genuinely wish to do", which is in fact, dumb and very dangerous.

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

Basic psychological insight. Probably hard to swallow I guess...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Does that mena people playing Call of Cthulu secretly all want to be uttely insane?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline newman

Does that mena people playing Call of Cthulu secretly all want to be uttely insane?

..or people playing Dark Souls would deep down really want to kill themselves. Many times. :D
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I was obsessed with that game and now I'm an architect. So there. QED.

Everyone was obsessed with that game.

That's not even related to what I said. Of course we all can distinguish them. That's why we have no trouble fragging hundreds of others per day while we would be tortured for life had we killed someone even with all the best moral defeses you can think of (self defense + accident + etc).

The desires are still there though. It's a reptile brain for some part that we have here.

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.