Poll

What sort of ending do you think the GTVA Colossus should have?

Getting beamed to death by the SJ Sathanas while standing still? (Volition canon)
8 (8.8%)
Getting beamed to death by the SJ Sathanas while still attacking it and inflicting some damage?
43 (47.3%)
Getting beamed by the SJ Sathanas but surviving, but still getting scrapped because it took too much damage?
4 (4.4%)
Getting beamed by the SJ Sathanas and surviving, but getting destroyed by the Capella supernova?
12 (13.2%)
Getting beamed by the SJ Sathanas and surviving, as well as assisting in Apocalypse and successfully making the jump to Vega before the supernova?
13 (14.3%)
Getting beamed by the SJ Sathanas and surviving, but getting bombed to death by bombers?
1 (1.1%)
Getting beamed by the SJ Sathanas and surviving, but experiencing death from above in the form of a Shivan warship's beams (including another Sathanas?
5 (5.5%)
Something else?
5 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: About the End of the GTVA Colossus...  (Read 33196 times)

Re: About the End of the GTVA Colossus...
Despite this, they've never appeared to be able to create a Shivan communication device. Either that, or maybe Command didn't want to make one, or dare not make one. This must either mean those, or that communicating with the Shivans is much, much harder to do than reverse-engineer their technology.
They use quantum waves for their comms, right? Perhaps it has something to do with unbreakable encryption. Funny thing is that they seem to have tried to contact us once, on our own (radio?) channels...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
They use quantum waves for their comms, right? Perhaps it has something to do with unbreakable encryption. Funny thing is that they seem to have tried to contact us once, on our own (radio?) channels...
You mean in "Speaking in Tongues"? I think they were trying to communicate with Bosch, and some transmissions leaked over to allied channels.

Offline eliex

But then the Vasudans totally messed up the whole experiment. By killing that Shivan cruiser, and the Iceni just jumped out without staying over to help might just be the reason why just before they abducted Bosch, they killed the majority of the Iceni's crew.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
But then the Vasudans totally messed up the whole experiment. By killing that Shivan cruiser, and the Iceni just jumped out without staying over to help might just be the reason why just before they abducted Bosch, they killed the majority of the Iceni's crew.

Maybe they started killing the crew on the lower decks before Bosch managed to send some sort of message across to the Shivans to stop.

Or perhaps the Shivans do know what it feels like to get pissed? :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Or perhaps the menial crew members who weren't in on the whole ETAK thing panicked when Shivans busted down their front door and opened fire.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
There was a heck of a lot more going on at gti headquarters than just hybridizing technology. This is very apparent.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
My back-on-topic-opinion:

I didn't get a chance to read the entire thread, so I don't know if someone has mentioned this, but it wouldn't just involve how the Colossus dies, but how the Shivans ended things, as well as a few things about the Colossus' design.

The idea is, that the Colossus has a new reactor powering it, something enough to seal a node if it blew.  Instead of the blow-up-Capella ending, have the Shivans simply threaten to invade beyond the system into the others.  The Colossus manages to escape from destruction at the hands of the Sath, but takes heavy damage.  The Bastion manages to close the Epsilon-Pegasi node, but the Nerid blows up prematurely, leaving Command with no way to seal the Vega node.  The Colossus jumps in near the Vega node attempting to escape the system, but begins to take heavy fire from multiple shivan capital ships.  Upon hearing of the Nerid's failure, the commander of the Colossus decides to use the ship's advanced reactor to seal the node with, directly sacrificing his ship and crew to save the GTVA from invasion.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:50:35 pm by Trivial Psychic »
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
CUT

And there you have it. Another way to end the Colossus. :nod:

When I first started this thread, I was wondering if the "Something Else" option was redundant. Good thing it wasn't. :D
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
But...but...that ruins the overwhelming bleakness of the ending! The Colossus goes from a futile waste to a heroic effort that ultimately pays off.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
The idea is, that the Colossus has a new reactor powering it, something enough to seal a node if it blew.  Instead of the blow-up-Capella ending, have the Shivans simply threaten to invade beyond the system into the others.  The Colossus manages to escape from destruction at the hands of the Sath, but takes heavy damage.  The Bastion manages to close the Epsilon-Pegasi node, but the Nerid blows up prematurely, leaving Command with no way to seal the Vega node.  The Colossus jumps in near the Vega node attempting to escape the system, but begins to take heavy fire from multiple shivan capital ships.  Upon hearing of the Nerid's failure, the commander of the Colossus decides to use the ship's advanced reactor to seal the node with, directly sacrificing his ship and crew to save the GTVA from invasion.
This would be a very bland move in the game had V chosen to do it.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yeah. The Colossus should die in futility.
That doesn't mean it should just sit there and get roasted though - it should at least try to defend itself.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Irony wins. :lol:
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
If iwas doing FS2: the series/Movie, id have the colossus ram Sath 17, or do something like this:

The Colossus jumps into the middle of a formation of 4 Demon class destroyers, guarding the G-Drax node. The four destroyers are quickly destroyed. Mission then proceeds similar to how it did in the game untill the Beast is destroyed. At this point, the colossus gets mobbed by a swarm of ships;

4 Demons
3 Molochs
6 Liliths

Over the next 5 minutes the colossus destroys 2 of the Demons and Cripples a 3rd, destroys on of the Molochs and blows the Liliths to pieces. The ramaining shivan vessels are destroyed by supporting GTVA forces, ie the cruisers/Corvettes in the Area. However, the colossus is crippled by the onslaught; Hull is ~27%. More than two thirds of the crew are dead, including the most of the senior staff. Weapons are off line, Comms are wacked out. Fires are burning on all decks and huge hull-breeches scar the ship. The landing bays are in ruins, so evacuations is impossible and the reactors are about 10 minutes away from meltdown. Basically, she's virtually dead in space.

At this point Sath 17 jumps in and effectively flips the bird at the Colossus by ignoring it and goes after the other ships in the blockade. The Commanding officer of the Colossus, knowing that his ship is doomed anyway, ignores Commands orders and has the colossus ram the Sathanas, destroying both ships.

My Fates for Various crew members  on the colossus:
Tactical Officer: Killed by scrapnel from the blast that kills the XO
Executive Officer: Killed when a conduit on the CIC area explodes
Command Master Chief (Chief of the Ship (COS): Killed by falling Debris
Helm officer: Beheaded by debris from the same blast as above
Conn Officer: Electrocuted by a surge through his console
Comms officer: Killed when her console explodes in her face
Chief Medical Officer: Killed by a fire in the sickbay
Chief Engineer: Killed by a hull breech.
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Hum. At 27%?
That seems like pretty much, maybe something like 7% might be better, seems more like the Colly is really on the brink of destruction.
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I think consoles only explode that much in Star Trek.

Same with 'conduits'.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Nah Pipes and fuel line blow out all the time in Submarine combat. Conduit=Fuel/power line. I've also seen work stations blown out in things other than Trek.

okay maybe not 27%, how about 13.5% admiral

TRUE SHIVAN

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Given the way Freespace ships are designed, I'd think it more likely that the crew remains largely untouched (due to the protection of the inner hull) until very low hull percentages, and then dies en masse when the ship explodes.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
When the Pheonicia dies it says something about casualties on all decks, so I'm not sure.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
The over half the crew of the pheonicia is killed in Sath#1's opening volley...As to the phoenicia dying, well that's hit and miss for me. Sometime she jumps out, and some times she doesn't thus i treat each replay of the mission/campaign as an alternate timeline of events

anyway
in every mission where you are protectin escape pods that are being launched from a ship they do make mention of the evacuation of survivors

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
When the Pheonicia dies it says something about casualties on all decks, so I'm not sure.

I think NGTM1-R (who kind of spearheaded the inner hull/outer hull analysis) took this to mean that the Phoenicia's inner hull was really ravaged by those BFReds, and that the crew casualties were very much unusual.