Author Topic: Battlezone 98 redux  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Battlezone 98 redux
So, I stumbled upon this on Steam:

Turns out that the guys who remade the classic Battlezone arcade game, also made a redux version of the 1998 RTS/FPS game.
And it's not just a remake, but more like FSO. They took the original engine and updated it to DX10 and recreated most assets. But the core engine is still the original, including the orignial quirks like suicidal resource collectors and questionable path finding (which might be improved at a later stage). Also, they kept backwards compatibility to the original file formats, so mods/maps will still work :yes:

Dev Blog 1
Dev Blog 2

So, has anybody played it already? I'll most likely buy it anyway just to play it with updated models.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:21:25 pm by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
Re: Battlezone 98 redux
Wow that brings back memories.  I had so much fun playing this, but never managed to find anyone else who had an interest back then.  There's been a fan-based update available for some time now, too, though this looks to supplant that.  (I wonder if the developers are aware of it?)
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Played it  on and off in brief stints. Singleplayer makes me want to bury my head into the desk at times. But it's been a fun experience reliving it with the reduxed eye candy and interface. Multiplayer has been rather chaotic in the Deathmatch zone. Haven't tried a strategy match yet, but likely to get my butt handed to me within three minutes. Ah well, maybe one day when I have people to roll with.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:54:49 pm by starwolf1991 »
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This looks great. I can see why they are not fixing the gameplay and AI flaws, or the entire campaign would have to be rewritten. The existing fanmade 1.5 patch allows the game to work on modern computers, although I'm getting some runtime error with it. (it was working in the past so it may have been messed up by some Windows or driver update)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Just bought it, I do like the new eyecandy, and the fact that the widescreen format suits the UI quite well.
Looking forward to playing through the campaign again (it has been years since I played the original), but yeah, I remember some of the missions being a bit puzzle-like. Especially considering how much freedom the game gives you in regards to where/what to build.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:27:09 am by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline Snarks

Never played the first Battlezone, but I thought Battlezone 2 was a severely underrated game. So here's hoping for a remake of that as well.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Is that screenshot from the new game? The models and textures look identical to the original game.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Is that screenshot from the new game? The models and textures look identical to the original game.

That's from the new game.
They are sticking pretty close to the original models, the rework consists mostly of beveling off sharp edges and modeling some of the texture details. And the textures themselves were redone in high resolution.