Author Topic: New NodeWar  (Read 942 times)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Nodewars: Firestorm
New Nodewar game starting up right now!

[glow=red]Firestorm [/glow]

[q]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Setting:
The year is 2339. The Terran and Vasudan races have just emerged from one of the bloodiest wars the universe has ever seen, spanning dozens of systems and consuming every natural resource across known space. Peace has finally been found by way of a Mesonic stalemate with both sides possessing the capability to erradicate each other in the blink of an eye, but fearing the prospect of mutual annihilation.

So the galaxy is in a state of cold war with the Vasudan Imperium (comprised of the core systems of Vasuda, Adhara, Aldebarran and Vega) facing off against the Galatic Terran Alliance (comprising Delta Serpentis, Beta Aquilae, Procyon, Wolf 359 and Ross128).

Warships loom in space over every planet, either as a result of GTA/VI fortification or because the inhabitants have avoided being drawn into the conflict by way of mobilising their own system-fleets.

Single-system powers ally and war with each other, vying for power to try and dodge the Mesonic bullet, and hoping they've amassed enough weapons, ships and people to survive the looming apocalypse.

The few non-Terran, non-Vasudan races that have been encountered have been either enslaved or obliterated to make way for Terran/Vasudan colonies. The few free survivors wander aimlessly through the galaxy, making their way as best they can in a universe dominated by the two races whose war consumed their home.

The Technology:
Think FS1 style, but FS2 power.

All weapons are some kind of energy-pulse, missile or ship-killer torpedo.

The largest warships (Fleet Command ships, Dreadnaughts etc) carry 1-3 rail weapons capable of decimating entire continents.

Communications must be relayed through jump-nodes via ship as broadcast signals are lost in the subspace flux.

Nodes themselves are collosal, measuring as much as 30km across and are largely indefensible.

All ships mount shields of various design, but all feature weak-spots created by their engines.

Fighter and bomber shields are bubble-shaped and are resistant to several seconds of continuous fire before they seccumb.

Capital shields are incredibly strong, planar (flat) circles and are projected only over critical areas (not weapon ports) at a distance from the hull by shield generators on the surface of the ships hull.

Cap-shields consume enormous amounts of energy and as such ships must cut almost all their engine power in order to generate a shield and fire weapons.

Small craft can approach a cap-ship through the large gaps in its planar shields, fly between the shields and the ship and make strikes against the ships systems (usually the shield generator so a cap-ship can launch a barrage or ten).

Only cap-ships and the slowest, heaviest, ****tiest bombers can mount torp weapons.

Ships can be tracked and followed through subspace, but it required a ****load of energy and beats the crap outta the ships doing the following.

Cap-ship battles are relatively short things, usually resolved in a matter of minutes with the deciding factor being sheer firepower.

It takes 3 full days to travel across a system in subspace, a month to do it sub-light and about a day to make the trip through an inter-system node.

The GamePlay:
You take control of a single system. You are the unquestioned ruler of that system (to a degree). You have a fleet of ships, a planet full of people and a small shipyard capable of building cruiser-size ships.

Your rule over your subjects is total at the beginning of the game, but depending on what type of government you choose they may become war-weary and impeach your democratic ass or war-hungry and overthrow your tyrannical ass.

Your fleet depends on the size of your population, the level of resources you have, the sophistication of your technology and the type of government you run. Generally you'll have a Fleet Command vessel (think 'Sath'), 4-8 Destroyers (Orion-esque), 20 Cruisers (you can build more though; Think 'small Typhon'), a few corvettes, a ton of GunBoats (think 'small Cain') and as many fighters and bombers as you can carry.

Politics is conducted at alliance-level, with the other powers refusing to even acknowledge your message unless you control a greatly superior fleet.

The GTA and VI are the supreme powers. They will attack anyone trying to destabilize the Mesonic stalemate, destroy anyone trying to build their own Meson bombs and vapourise anyone trying to attack them directly. But they will, on occassion, support actions against their opposition in an unofficial, off-the-record capacity.

Getting Started:

Make an OOB.

Edit it according to the comments and suggestions of the other users.

Wait for one of the NW Gods to approve it.

Pick your territory and name it.

Start making story posts.

The General Idea:
It's NW2 but with some sensible tweaks, more deadly technology and a much more hostile universe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/q]

We need players to make it a good game, so come check it out.  

http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum/

double posted to appeal to the masses... quit your *****in'.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I wish there was a way I could get involved in this without actually getting involved - I'm over at nodewars enough after all. Though to be honest I'd be much more interested in the one more solidly grounded in FS that was being planned.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
:sigh: Aye, tis' what I feared might happen with a lot of people. The only thing that stopped it from happening was the battle system... I'm still not sure how an0n plans to moderate everything unless there aren't that many battles.

In any event, if this NW does happen to flop, god forbid, I'll make it a point to come back at the FS one.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 03:15:50 am by 675 »
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read