Author Topic: Ever heard of Onslaught?  (Read 952 times)

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Ever heard of Onslaught?
If you play UT2004, you will know the game type Onslaught.

Onslaught goes like this:
-2 teams
-Fight over 'powernodes'
-Get a node path to the enemy 'powercore'
-Blow enemy powercore to pieces

I am making a modification so that you do not jump into vehicles, but you call in cruisers, and if possible, a corvette.  Depending on the ship, you need to sacrifice many team points to call one in.  There is also a limit to 3 cruisers per team, and 1 corvete per team total.

The nodes are by default neutral, and can be captured by going over them.  They then slowly build up, and when they are at full health, you can go to another linked node.
Nodes are linked together, so you need to pave a way to the enemy powercore without any breaks in the node path.  Any nodes cut off from an allied node will slowly die.
You can attack nodes linked to yours, but it does no damage to a node not connected to yours.
Lets say your powercore is linked to the first node, so you fly there and activate it.  It slowly builds.  You decide to go the fast but highly used by enemies way, and build another node in that path.  Once that node is completed, the enemy attacks your node.  You are unable to stop them, and the node blows into little smithereens.  Your team quickly regroups and pushes the enemy back to the first node.  They are finally able to ward you off, and decide to guard the first node, while making a chain the longer but safer way.  The enemy gets all the way to your first node, and kills it.  Suddenly, all of your other nodes get hurt slowly.  Realising that the enemy has taken an entire path, and your other path is dying, you decide to lead a quick attack to the constructing enemy node near your powercore.  It gets destroyed, and you build a new one.  By the time it is done, the first node on the short path is damaged, and the second dead.  You send half your team to attack, and half to guard your first node.  You manage to take the first enemy node, resulting in the quick death of all of their nodes.  By now you called in two fenris class cruisers, and the enemy one leviathan.  Both teams chose wisely, as fenrises are fast, and have to be called in at an unlinked node, or a linked or unlinked powercore.  A fenris dies, and your team is able to destroy the leviathan's beam turret.  Eventually, it would die, but you destroyed the enemy powercore before that was possible.

A mission like this would be a sexp *****, but until someone can help me with my campagin coding, this is what I will do.

Ideas, Comments, and Concerns are welcome here.

Also, vote on weather you like it or not.

Here is the nodemap for the story above:
Code: [Select]

x = node X = core
[font=arial][color=black]000000000000000[/color]
[color=red]X[/color]-----x--------x[color=black]00000
0000[/color] |[color=black]000000[/color]\ [color=black]000
0000[/color]x[color=black]0000000[/color]x[color=black]000
0000[/color] |[color=black]00000000[/color]\[color=black]00
0000[/color]x[color=black]000000000[/color]x[color=black]0
0000[/color] |[color=black]00000000[/color]/[color=black]00[/color]
[color=blue]X[/color]-----x[color=black]0000000[/color]x[color=black]000
00000[/color]\[color=black]00000[/color]/[color=black]0000
000000[/color]\-----x[color=black]00000[/color][/font]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 10:23:16 am by 2397 »

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
It will be ***** to SexP.

But it wont be a ***** to use Variables on...also with 'TAG' missiles...hmm....

*suddenly sees this as rather easily possible.

You could have a special 'node' cannon which is actually nothing but TAG missiles.

The nodes in this case can be a Ganymede ring with 5% integrity. When a node is tagged, a variable is modified by +1. It will finish building over a period of around 50 seconds, during which time every 10 seconds it will need to be re-tagged, and it will last a maximum of 10 seconds before construction is aborted. Through each step or 10 seconds, a variable will get a +1 modifier till it finally reaches a value of 6. Once this happens, all 'connected' nodes and their attached variables get a value of 1, allowing them to be captured. Once a node is destroyed by bringing it back down to 5%, the variable is set back to 0 for that node, and for the nodes surrounding. The first and final nodes will have a seperate value, depending on the total values of the others.

However, the problem does lie, how do you make it identify which team has tagged the node and constructed it? That's the only real problem I see here. Anyone have any idea how to figure that out?
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Singh
However, the problem does lie, how do you make it identify which team has tagged the node and constructed it? That's the only real problem I see here. Anyone have any idea how to figure that out?
Hmm.  Add a new sexp to return which ship tagged something.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
nothing new will be added.  It may seem impossible, but I am a very talented person when it comes to improvising.  Btw, Modified Meson Bombs are the power nodes, and Comm Nodes are the power cores.  I will make it so that all nodes can not go below 1% hp, and when they reach 1%, they get an explosion effect and a model change to a cargo container.  When a ship comes within range, it will start to slowly build.  Like every five seconds it will gain 10% integrity.  50 seconds, no tagging required, just like the actual thing.  In the actual game, you could speed it up using a special gun, but what the hell, its fs2...