Author Topic: New to HLP - Having an Install Problem  (Read 1726 times)

New to HLP - Having an Install Problem
Hello good people... new to HLP. First - this site rocks! I can't believe there are so many FS people still out there and growing. I left the game years ago and found it again recently. My 1st post is - I just got a brand new in the box FS2. Garage sale for $5.00! Can you believe it - still had the plastic on the package! Nothing like the fresh smell of cellophane and cardboard! The ink still smelled fresh in this thing. I was so excited to find this long lost treasure. Anyway - I did not have enough space on my C drive so I installed it to my D: drive. Now its giving me grief. Does anyone know how to get the launcher to come up and work. It keeps saying it cannot boot from the boot directory from the drive its on. Granted - I installed it on the d: partition because of space. Does anyone know how to get this to launch from the D: drive?? Many thanks to all... Derek - Halo Maker.

"ready for the cold expanse of space"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:54:26 am by Halo Maker »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: New to HLP - Having an Install Porblem
:welcome:

Are you running FreeSpace Open? If your comp can handle it, you should be.

You can get FreeSpace Open here. Since you've already got Retail FreeSpace 2, follow the seven steps at the top of the first post to save you some bandwidth. Simply use D: instead of C: where it gives you path names.

If you haven't heard about FreeSpace Open, you're in for a pleasant surprise. FreeSpace Open is an open-source upgrade to FreeSpace 2, with new features, state-of-the-art graphics, and fixes for many of the annoying bugs in Retail FreeSpace 2. You can get more info here.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Damn...you got the kill...

Read Karajorma's FreeSpace FAQ. You can find a link in my gigantic signature.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Basically all you have to do is make a folder called Freespace2 on your D: drive and move the game there instead.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
why you have porblem
lol wtf

Re: New to HLP - Having an Install Problem
Hello all - thanks for the replies! The first thing I did before I installed the retail FS2 game was to install the SCP and installer from Turey - BTW... FRAKIN nice work bud. That job is triple ace! anyway - I have installed according to the examples on this site for the game with all the mods etc. If I am to understand correctly - simply change the name of the folder in which it resides in my D: drive. Is that correct? Thanx again all. Halo Maker.

Offline Woggy

Are their spaces in your FS2 install path? Freespace2 wont work properly if there are spaces in it's path. That's why it defaults to X:\Games\Freespace2. If you've installed to D:\Program Files\... meh. Use D:\Games\Freespace2.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Just some words for the wise, HM.

Before posting, always check the dates of the last post. If it's older than three or so weeks, don't post unless it's something like you are releasing something, you are updating something, or you are (nicely :) ) requesting something. Always apologize for the bump, too, unless you are updating or releasing something.

Also, don't bother making threads like "lets make FS3" or "why hasn't the community made fs3?". We've seen plenty of those in our days. Pretty much the closest thing you'll get is Inferno or Derelict with FSO. But even then, it's not it.

And lastly, if you are looking for a piece of information, model, or something along those lines check the wiki or search the board.

Welcome aboard! :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 09:54:25 pm by thesizzler »

Don't forget the resident Shivan Carl, which can be found in the ventilation ducts, and the armory thing that has to do with the hyperintelligent shade of blue.

Sorry for the crappy first attempt at the welcome speech by me.

Anyway, did I read that right, you installed SCP BEFORE FS2?  If that's the case, install SCP again.  Also, be sure to tell the SCP launcher where you're launching from after you give it a folder w/out spaces.  Remember, too, to play around with the launcher, enabling all the cool new features.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

You should install EVERYTHING except windows and drivers on your D: Drive (move my documents to!), this allows you to easily reinstall windows without losing important data (like your documents, your downloads, and your FS2 pilots ;).

My disk looks like this:
C:, Windows, Drivers and office-software to this drive... This drive is 10 GB large (I use partitions)
D: 100 GB, Data, like downloads, My documents, FreeSpace and other games.
E: 50 GB, CDImages

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
You should install EVERYTHING except windows and drivers on your D: Drive (move my documents to!), this allows you to easily reinstall windows without losing important data (like your documents, your downloads, and your FS2 pilots ;).

My disk looks like this:
C:, Windows, Drivers and office-software to this drive... This drive is 10 GB large (I use partitions)

This is actually how you're supposed to install Linux, but it works good for Windows too.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
...That advice would have saved me so many headaches, its not even funny.  :sigh:

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

My disk looks like this:

Uh, sorta.

Applications which make required and non-regenerated registry entries (so this doesn't include FS) should be installed along with the OS and drivers on the C drive.  Less headaches with drivers, AND they should be reinstalled with each OS reinstall anyway (at least, on a Windows platform).

A separate partition should store read-only type data:  video files, CD images, music, etc.

Applications which lack registry entries and red/write data (word documents, images, etc) should be stored on yet another partition.

This allows for a reformat of the OS partition without data loss.  It also minimizes fragmentation of large stable drives, while preserving other types of data on their own partition.

The swap file can also be plunked on its own partition.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]