Author Topic: Receiver 2 is great and you should play it.  (Read 2633 times)

Receiver 2 is great and you should play it.
Hey HLP, DO YOU LIKE GUNS?

Do you like games that explore the lovely combination of doomsday cults, suicide, depression and the detailed mechanics of firearm usage?

Would you like to play a game that takes a Murphy's Law approach to firearms?

Well you should probably try Receiver 2, a game that seems to... take place in a gun nut's nightmares?

I've been playing it and getting the "glock leg" quite a lot.

If you're currently already dealing with enough suicidal thoughts you may wish to turn "Threat Echos" off.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:22:10 am by -Joshua- »

Re: Receiver 2 is great and you should play it.
Well you should probably try Receiver 2, a game that seems to... take place in a gun nut's nightmares?

Wait i don't have RPGs and tanks? Bad :/

I can confirm it is good.

The first time I shot myself with the Colt because I forgot to put the hammer down was really a thing.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Add it to the list of games to try when I can afford a VR rig...

in like 10 yrs  :blah:

Add it to the list of games to try when I can afford a VR rig...

It's not a VR game!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:07:10 am by -Joshua- »

Offline theperfectdrugsk

Color me intrigued...it looked very much like VR in that trailer, so I just assumed it was. Hot damn!

I do wonder why people keep thinking that.

Mabye becuase many VR games about guns have all replicated receiver 1?

Offline theperfectdrugsk

Possibly? I'm not familiar with Receiver 1, but the aesthetic of showing the entire firearm on the screen rather than just the front/top two-thirds is pretty standard for VR from what I've seen.

Having read up on the game a little bit, I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it...I think the fiddly "you must press X to holster your glock safely" because GLOCKS ARE APPARENTLY THE MOST DANGEROUS FIREARM IN EXISTENCE would quickly get on my nerves. I get the idea is to simulate the need to keep your head, be careful about doing things with firearms, but...when you drill with a firearm IRL the "finger off the trigger" muscle memory develops very quickly and much more solidly than pressing a key on a keyboard ever would.

Definitely a 'me' problem rather than a problem with the game though, cause I also disliked playing Rock Band for similar reasons hahaha. Almost like the "uncanny valley" but for games simulating IRL things.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Possibly? I'm not familiar with Receiver 1, but the aesthetic of showing the entire firearm on the screen rather than just the front/top two-thirds is pretty standard for VR from what I've seen.

Yeah, showing the entire firearm in the middle of the screen (without hands) gave me the impression that this was a VR game as well.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Having read up on the game a little bit, I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it...I think the fiddly "you must press X to holster your glock safely" because GLOCKS ARE APPARENTLY THE MOST DANGEROUS FIREARM IN EXISTENCE would quickly get on my nerves. I get the idea is to simulate the need to keep your head, be careful about doing things with firearms, but...when you drill with a firearm IRL the "finger off the trigger" muscle memory develops very quickly and much more solidly than pressing a key on a keyboard ever would.

Yeah I can see how that might be annoying! I like it because it emphasizes, well, how incredibly dangerous firearms are (the game seems rather aware of the fact that most gunshot wounds are self-inflicted), and it's def. murphy's law. It's not exactly "press x to holster safely", it's "hold x". So when you do a quick "OH ****" press things might happen. The game punishes you for panicking. If you have gun drill training, you'd probably be panicking less then I am!

Personally I just follow the austrian police's doctrine of, err, carrying around the firearm without a bullet in the chamber, but it's hard to keep focusing on that when you've got things trying to kill you but also reasons to keep holstering your firearm (whilst in, well, a gunfight you're probably not going to be holstering and unholstering your gun constantly, you'll have plenty of magazines that you don't need to fill up constantly, etc.).

right up until the point where you need to holster your pistol to hack a turret that's swiveling toward you and you have JUST enough time to hack it but you forget that you'd cocked the hammer and shoot yourself...

Or you're tooling around with your Glock safely holstered without a round in the chamber, being real careful when you go around every corner, and then you hear a beep from above you IT'S A DRONE!
You whip out your gun and pull the trigger while you dodge backward. *click* AH CHAMBER A ROUND! *bang* miss *bang* miss *bang* hit, but it wasn't enough *click* click? I should have enough ammo, maybe it jammed *zzzzap* and I'm dead.

I love how the glock 17 has a full auto fire modifaction tho.

Or hwo the game sometimes just puts fully loaded guns in your holster, oops.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

right up until the point where you need to holster your pistol to hack a turret that's swiveling toward you and you have JUST enough time to hack it but you forget that you'd cocked the hammer and shoot yourself...

Or you're tooling around with your Glock safely holstered without a round in the chamber, being real careful when you go around every corner, and then you hear a beep from above you IT'S A DRONE!
You whip out your gun and pull the trigger while you dodge backward. *click* AH CHAMBER A ROUND! *bang* miss *bang* miss *bang* hit, but it wasn't enough *click* click? I should have enough ammo, maybe it jammed *zzzzap* and I'm dead.

That's another thing I wonder about...how high is the jam chance? Most modern handguns don't jam very often at all. Even the cheapo brands have gotten quite good (well...except mayb Hi-Point, but we don't talk about them). Unless it's somehow supposed to be simulating limp-wristing by having you hold a separate button while firing?

The jams are often enough. There is some limp wrist simulation, especially when firing shots in rapid succession. I used to get them a lot more then now. I like them being there, becuase the mechanics of clearing jams are interesting to me. I mostly get failed to feed things.

The game is supposed to be taking place in some sort of nightmare version of reality where bad things happen far more often then normally, so if that isn't your thing this might not be the game for you. I think it's very interesting becuase it deals with lots of gun related stuff that other games just outright ignore, but I can't really say how it is for people who are already very well versed in firearms.

The hi-point is in the game and it does have a jam (out-of-battery) that is unique to it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 12:31:10 pm by -Joshua- »

That's another thing I wonder about...how high is the jam chance? Most modern handguns don't jam very often at all. Even the cheapo brands have gotten quite good (well...except mayb Hi-Point, but we don't talk about them). Unless it's somehow supposed to be simulating limp-wristing by having you hold a separate button while firing?

It's much higher than in the real world, explained in-game as meddling by [REDACTED]. Same with the likelyhood of shooting yourself when holstering your weapon: instead of "maybe sometimes if you're super sloppy" it's "every single time if you leave it cocked/loaded and aren't careful".

Fortunately, pulling the trigger is always just a mouse click (or hold for .25 seconds if a revolver). Assuming you have a round ready to go and the safety off (and cocked if M1911).

pre-EDIT: ninja'd

(or hold for .25 seconds if a revolver)

Cock the hammer before you fire a revolver (f), it'll be shorter and you'll be more accurate.

Also, if you hold it you'll be able to look at what bullet is in the chamber. If it already has a dent in it, you've gone through your full rotation already.

Another important thing to note is that the firearm you get at the start of the game is entirely random wrt whether or not it has a bullet in the chamber and indeed all other aspects. It does emphasize that whole "check very carefully what you actually have in your hands" thing.

Cock the hammer before you fire a revolver (f), it'll be shorter and you'll be more accurate.

The first time I shot myself with the Colt because I forgot to put the hammer down was really a thing.

:lol:

Offline theperfectdrugsk

The game is supposed to be taking place in some sort of nightmare version of reality where bad things happen far more often then normally, so if that isn't your thing this might not be the game for you.
It's much higher than in the real world, explained in-game as meddling by [REDACTED]. Same with the likelyhood of shooting yourself when holstering your weapon: instead of "maybe sometimes if you're super sloppy" it's "every single time if you leave it cocked/loaded and aren't careful".

Ohhhhhhh. I don't think I realized that. Hahahah I was thinking "wtf are they doing trying to base the entire game around making firearms 'realistic' and then having them jam all the time and go off in your pants constantly." Makes sense now :P

:lol:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't eh :P