Author Topic: Star Wars: Squadrons  (Read 9638 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Star Wars: Squadrons
The graphics are awesome but I sense something diverging quite a bit from classical space sims. There may be, although I can't be 100% sure of this, "some" RPG like influences in this game. It's a strong feeling I have and comes by judging the game mechanics shown during the promo trailer, as well as the other "between the battles" scenes.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's a class-based TvT-shooter with variable and unlockable loadouts.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The graphics are awesome but I sense something diverging quite a bit from classical space sims. There may be, although I can't be 100% sure of this, "some" RPG like influences in this game. It's a strong feeling I have and comes by judging the game mechanics shown during the promo trailer, as well as the other "between the battles" scenes.

At the moment we have yet to see actual gameplay, we've only had the classic scripted stuff that probably runs in real time but has been carefully coreographed.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
It does look really good, but where is the coffee machine, huh? Where is the FIDELITY?!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Were there five different ship classes mentioned, I only counted four :confused:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
As game balance is a huge issue in this game, introducing new ships would be problematic as you’d have to have a counterpart on the opposing side. If the TIE bomber is equivalent to the Y-wing, then what would be the Imperial equivalent of the B-wing? Ditto the TIE Advanced and especially the TIE Defender. I can’t see the makers of this game canonizing stuff like the E-wing (blech!) to compensate.

FYI in the new canon the B-Wing is the counterpart to the TIE Defender--they're both depicted as basically superfighters.

Were there five different ship classes mentioned, I only counted four :confused:

Nope. Only four. 5 players, four classes. You gotta pick your team composition.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
As game balance is a huge issue in this game, introducing new ships would be problematic as you’d have to have a counterpart on the opposing side. If the TIE bomber is equivalent to the Y-wing, then what would be the Imperial equivalent of the B-wing? Ditto the TIE Advanced and especially the TIE Defender. I can’t see the makers of this game canonizing stuff like the E-wing (blech!) to compensate.

FYI in the new canon the B-Wing is the counterpart to the TIE Defender--they're both depicted as basically superfighters.

But the TIE Defender is (or so it played in the original TIE Fighter game) way more maneuverable than the B-Wing; the Defender is supposed to be the ultimate space superiority fighter (outclassing other fighters) while the B-wing is supposed to be a capital ship killer. How can those two ships have such different roles and still be "balanced counterparts" to each other, especially when the other fighters between the New Republic and the Empire (TIE fighter and X-wing; TIE bomber and Y-wing; TIE Interceptor and A-wing) have far more equivalence between them?

Think about that: that does not make sense!

EDIT: Just after I posted this, I remembered the Missile Boat, which is a cap ship killer like the B-wing...but it's also a redonkulous Game Breaker that any sense of "balancing" with that ship would and must in good conscience be considered utterly and completely Lovecraftian insane that not any of the Elder Gods, Outer Gods, or Great Old Ones would even think about doing it without screaming in gibbering terror. Hell, even Nyarlathotep himself might blink at that. :eek2: :nervous: :eek2:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 05:54:41 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline starlord

Hell, who knows... last I heard the b wing had a superlaser.

I miss the time when Star Wars, somehow, made more sense.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Hell, who knows... last I heard the b wing had a superlaser.

Technically, that was a prototype. There's no indication (yet) that the superlaser made it into the mass production phase.

I miss the days when the Skywalker Saga wasn't ruined by a disappointing ending. :( :blah: :sigh:

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Another cool addition might be the Ghost.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
As game balance is a huge issue in this game, introducing new ships would be problematic as you%u2019d have to have a counterpart on the opposing side. If the TIE bomber is equivalent to the Y-wing, then what would be the Imperial equivalent of the B-wing? Ditto the TIE Advanced and especially the TIE Defender. I can%u2019t see the makers of this game canonizing stuff like the E-wing (blech!) to compensate.

Not really, the prototype was a superfighter but what made it super, the supercannon, had a tendency to fry the hyperdrive which is a huge no-no for hit and run attacks. They use it once in Rebels and in the same episode they said that they should probably ditch the supercannon.

But then again the B-wing was initially absent from X-wing vs Tie Fighter too, in the end it's mostly a spruced up Y-wing in terms of gameplay so they'd need to find some way to make it useful alongside the Y-wing instead of it being a substitute.

As game balance is a huge issue in this game, introducing new ships would be problematic as you%u2019d have to have a counterpart on the opposing side. If the TIE bomber is equivalent to the Y-wing, then what would be the Imperial equivalent of the B-wing? Ditto the TIE Advanced and especially the TIE Defender. I can%u2019t see the makers of this game canonizing stuff like the E-wing (blech!) to compensate.

But the TIE Defender is (or so it played in the original TIE Fighter game) way more maneuverable than the B-Wing; the Defender is supposed to be the ultimate space superiority fighter (outclassing other fighters) while the B-wing is supposed to be a capital ship killer. How can those two ships have such different roles and still be "balanced counterparts" to each other, especially when the other fighters between the New Republic and the Empire (TIE fighter and X-wing; TIE bomber and Y-wing; TIE Interceptor and A-wing) have far more equivalence between them?

Think about that: that does not make sense!

EDIT: Just after I posted this, I remembered the Missile Boat, which is a cap ship killer like the B-wing...but it's also a redonkulous Game Breaker that any sense of "balancing" with that ship would and must in good conscience be considered utterly and completely Lovecraftian insane that not any of the Elder Gods, Outer Gods, or Great Old Ones would even think about doing it without screaming in gibbering terror. Hell, even Nyarlathotep himself might blink at that. :eek2: :nervous: :eek2:

In the game the emperor himself decided top mothball the few MIS remaining because they were more dangerous in enemy hands than useful for the empire itself because not even the Empire could tank an assault from a few missile boats.

IIRC the MIS was extremely expensive, even more than the Tie Defender, so they had very few in production.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 08:11:14 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum

TIE Fighter is Legends canon. This is new canon. The performance of ships in XvT has no bearing on how they'll handle here.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

TIE Fighter is Legends canon. This is new canon. The performance of ships in XvT has no bearing on how they'll handle here.

The B-wing is still a spruced up Y-wing in canon (that is: same role better stats) and the only discernible difference between the Legends and the Canon Tie Defender is the absence of ion cannons on the latter (now it has six lasers instead of the four of its Legends counterpart) probably to make it less like a multirole craft but it's still OP compared to basically anything else unless it's piloted by Hera Syndulla.

PS: also in canon the Tie Defender was defunded in favour of diverting additional funds to the first Death Star after Thrawn disappeared during the last battle of Lothal at the end of Rebels and the destruction of the facilities due to a screwup by governor Pryce shortly before so it shouldn't be present or at least its presence should be limited enough to not be relevant in the immediate post-ROTJ.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:37:04 pm by Det. Bullock »

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I'm wondering how they'll deal with visual issues like the TIE fighter not having launchers or the Bomber not having chin guns. From the looks of the trailer, they've just decided not to worry about it. I feel like these things would be easy to fix, but pedants like me are the only ones who'll really care.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

T'was a long time ago...

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I'm wondering how they'll deal with visual issues like the TIE fighter not having launchers or the Bomber not having chin guns. From the looks of the trailer, they've just decided not to worry about it. I feel like these things would be easy to fix, but pedants like me are the only ones who'll really care.
https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2020/6/18/21295900/star-wars-squadrons-everything-you-need-to-know

Offline starlord

I wouldn’t worry: no doubt you’ll be able to fit a Death Star superlaser on the tie fighter with enough Exp... or through micro transactions I don’t know...

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I wouldn’t worry: no doubt you’ll be able to fit a Death Star superlaser on the tie fighter with enough Exp... or through micro transactions I don’t know...
They explain how it works in the article.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I thought it was interesting how the article discussed how TIE fighter will never have shields, even through upgrades.  I'm not a huge stickler for canon, but interesting nonetheless.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Good lord, I'm reading the interview right now and looking at the picture of all the possible added components. Among lots of other nifty stuff,

THEY HAVE MULTI-LOCK MISSILES!!!!11!!1!11

I'm in loooove.

The Order of the Stick