Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613821 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
I just played a little game called, "Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist"
It's free, and it's exactly what it says on the tin
Also, very short, and immensely entertaining. I very much recommend it. There's a tiger!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/409160/Dr_Langeskov_The_Tiger_and_The_Terribly_Cursed_Emerald_A_Whirlwind_Heist/

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Because I'm an idiot who can't plan ahead, I already had Psychonauts 2 sitting on my hard drive before I got around to replaying the original game beforehand. According to Steam it's been almost a decade since the last time I picked it up, and it has been an absolute delight revisiting it. There is so much dialog that still makes me crack up, and the design work still holds up incredibly well. From everything I've heard the long-awaited sequel more than lived up to expectations, and I can't wait to dive in.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I definitely want to play Psychonauts 2, but have too many other games on my plate right now (playing all the Witcher games). I also played Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin recently, which is short but really good. The first Psychonauts had the most creative levels and environments I've seen in any game.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've watched a full playthrough of Rhombus of Ruin, which gives most of the experience, but not having access to (or any real interest in) VR, I can't play it myself. Still picked it up for $2 the other day though, just to show Double Fine some love.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
VR makes you feel like you are really living in the game world, and the trippy Psychonauts environments are perfect for it. It's the only game I've seen with a sense of different scales, where you see the same areas from the point of view of a tiny person versus a larger person. I just wish it was more of a full fledged game, it's only a few hours long.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 10:40:36 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Horizon: Zero Dawn

Was on my list from a long time, but I was too busy for real gaming. Now I'm still busy [in theory] but my brain decided that's enough and has a very annoying downtime... So I need something that does not require all of my fried-up braincells.

Anyway, spectacular game. It's basically Witcher 3 in new world and combat system more focused on range and critical points...
...and it's good because Witcher 3 is very close to be perfect game, and Horizon is not worse in any aspect. One of the best gaming experiences of my life.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Witcher 3 had Yennifer.

And Yennifer is life.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I finished Psychonauts 2 and 100%'d it. Easily GOTY for me and actually surpasses the first game in some ways, which was a tall ask. The story has a more serious vibe this time but still manages to be funny, and the platforming and combat are smoother, with every psi power having its place against a particular type of enemy. The surreal levels and environments are the highlight again, and totally different from any other game. My favorite was Compton's Cookoff, the boss fight in it is hilarious. The last few levels reminded me of the final areas of Monkey Island 3 and 4.

If you're looking for a game that gives you those arcade-action sim feelings and a sense of fighting the odds... and despair, Project Wingman is definitely worth a look.

The crazy thing is it is near, or par quality with Ace Combat 7, by a 3 person indie team.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I am enjoying Tunic at the moment, and I can recommend it - espeically if you, like me, played the old SNES/GB/GBC/GBA entries into the Legend of Zelda-franchise.

... but Tunic is more than just a Zelda-clone, even though on first glance it pushes the definition of homage. The thing I've come to adore about it, other than design of protagonist, is how it nudges you to explore and enhances the sense of discovery by withholding information: As you progress through the game the language you encounter becomes readable bit by bit, including the tutorials - which lead to a fun moment with the second boss, which was smashing me flat several times in a row, until I found out that a) I already had the hint that I need to boost my stats to fight it, b) that I already had picked up all the items required to do so, and c) that I already had the instructions how to do it - but just glossed over them because they had no been force-fed to me.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
So, Rule The Waves 3 came out earlier today, and since some mad lads on this forum were the ones who introduced me to RTW in the first place, I figured I'd dig up my login and come say hello.

It's so addictive, despite looking like it should be running on Windows 95. Although the ship line art has improved immensely.

So, Rule The Waves 3 came out earlier today, and since some mad lads on this forum were the ones who introduced me to RTW in the first place, I figured I'd dig up my login and come say hello.

It's so addictive, despite looking like it should be running on Windows 95. Although the ship line art has improved immensely.

OOH I have wanted to give that a try since I saw the LPs here, I'll check it out.

In other news, I've finished "Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice"... twice. If I may say, I think it's one of the most From games that From has made, the very crystallization of what's called "git gud": Yes, it's incredibly tough, but once you start feeling the timings and learning the patterns and can suddenly find yourself straight-up dueling a boss that once had you running scared... There's no feeling quite like that in gaming.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The megaman series boss battles feel just like that. ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Being me, I was attracted to the hardest start in RTW3 - China in 1890. They can only build 4,000-ton ships, with the lowest budget. It took a few tries to get past that initial hump, but I've got a game up to 1919 and we're...well, we're not doing well, but we're still alive. I've been helped by Japan and Russia, my big neighbors, hating one another and fighting it out while I hide in the corner trying to have a force that's even relevant locally.

One big change I noticed is that unrestricted submarine warfare now raises tensions with neutral countries. A welcome change, because submarines were insanely overpowered in RTW and RTW2.

Yeah, I love this game. If I wasn't terminally boring, I'd think about an LP, like Enioch's immensely entertaining ones on here.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The megaman series boss battles feel just like that. ;)

That's different -- Sekiro has more layers of feedback and they way the Killing Blow and Resurrection systems work take the sting out unsuccessful runs (the first by making every milestone of the boss fight rewarding, the other temping you with a chance of clawing back a victory narrowly denied.

I am playing Unsighted and Citizen Sleeper.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Tears of the Kingdom.  Just...all Tears of the Kingdom.

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Having my favorite playthrough of any of the RTWs at the moment; started as Japan, 40% technology rate because otherwise, you can see some silly things like 20"-gun super-battleships in 1930. We made it through the pre-dread era without dying of boredom. The first world war was a little earlier; it ended in 1917 with everyone exhausted and hurting. Everyone got together in 1920 for the big naval treaty - no new ships over 20,000 tons, maximum gun size of 12", and tonnage limits for each nation (mostly) according to budgets.

The next decades turned into a cold war of brinkmanship and saber-rattling while everyone enjoyed the economic benefits of not having to build massive fleets. Keeping right up against the tonnage limits meant it was actually a viable choice to refit older ships instead of having to juggle building new ones and scrapping their predecessors. In 1944, I finally got carrier conversion tech, and we converted one of my old battleships, Fuji, a WWI veteran that had already been through plenty of refits. She was one of my two surviving pre-treaty battleships, and was grandfathered in over the tonnage limits, but I converted her because she had 12" guns anyway. My other battleship, however...she was launched in 1917, the biggest stick I could afford at the time, 33,000 tons with 12 14" guns. And she went through refit after refit, her old coal-fired boilers long since ripped out for fuel oil, the newest steam turbines, two sets of reduction gears, the old casemate secondaries long gone, replaced with a dual-purpose secondary battery and heavy AA guns. I'm in a treaty with Germany, who, without being gutted and ruined by WWI, never had an angry man with a funny mustache rise to power. Great Britain was tense as she watched her former colonies slip away, to rebellions and political upheavals. France and Italy were constantly sniping at one another, just short of open war. It all came to a boiling point when the Germans and I decided to arm anti-communist rebels in Finland. The Soviets, as expected, didn't appreciate this very much, and the HIJMS Iwami, born too late for WWI, fired the first shots. She waited for 39 years.

The surprise happened at Vladivostok, where Iwami and my only two carriers, Fuji and Ryuujou, screened by three light cruisers and eight destroyers, led the charge just before dawn. It wasn't an impressive battle, relatively speaking - Iwami pounded the shore batteries, completely immune to their guns. Some Soviet cruisers and destroyers came out to scout, but promptly ran away when 14" shells came sailing over the horizon. Their carrier(s), which I never even saw, launched a few waves of attackers. Unfortunately for them, two of the light cruisers, Tenryuu and Tatsuta, are dedicated AA platforms, much like the IRL Atlanta-class. Except bigger, and meaner. 16x 5" DP guns, 16x 4" DP guns, and 16 40mm mounts, guided by four directors. I almost felt bad for the Soviet pilots who flew into that nightmare.

And that's where we are, the Cold War years are over. Iwami will be outdated in a couple of years, when the first post-treaty battleships launch, but I'm hoping she'll get to flex her muscle before then. This is definitely the most invested I've been in a RTW playthrough thus far.

Edit: The Soviets don't have much in the way of tonnage to throw at me in the Pacific, since Germany's keeping them occupied in the Baltic. A couple of carriers, which I still haven't seen, some light cruisers, and destroyers. Iwami is displeased. She waited for almost 4 decades to fight; the first actual battle saw her blow three destroyers out of the water in her first three salvoes, and crack a light cruiser in half in a few more. A desperate torpedo, launched with the dying throes of one of those ships, was shrugged off with contemptuous ease, though she lacks modern torpedo protection. Japan's Lady of War needs a better opponent.  :pimp:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 02:53:33 pm by TwentyPercentCooler »

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I will admit my ignorance that I don't know what RTW is, but fascinating write up - I hope to read more!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

I played the demo to "The Lies of P", the Pinocchio soulsbourbe. It's very pretty. Doesn't feel good to play though.

Imagine the parry system of Sekiro, but without any satisfying feedback. Imagine the rolling of Dark Souls 2. Imagine if Margit from Elden Ring or the Giant Ape from Sekiro was the first boss, but you didn't have the tools or techniques from those games to deal with him, and he also telegraphed his moves much worse.

Imagine a whole world built on the concept of "Hey this is grimdark Pinocchio" but there's absolutely no reason for it to be that, like what if boring Steel Rising?

OH! I wanted to be cool and skilled, so I selected the "DEX" weapon and build. It starts off a little weaker than both the "balanced" and "STR" builds, but I thought that once I put all my upgrade points into "DEX" (it's called something else but we all know what it is), my rapier would be pretty tough and I'd also be able to roll better or run faster or something. So I put all but two levels into "DEX", upgraded my rapier, and after all of that, it's ONE point of damage stronger than the completely un-upgraded balanced weapon.

tl;dr I am not impressed with the game as it is presented in the demo. It has no reason to exist. But who knows? Maybe it'll actually be good and I'm just wrong here. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Tried Redout today and was quite satisfied with the game. Dual-stick layout on the keyboard (WASD for thrust/yaw and arrows for pitch/slide will take some time to get used to, but it seems easy to get used to.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?