Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 92384 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So, I just bought this based on its apparent goodness, but having never played any of the Elite games, I have no idea what to expect. Given this community's interest in all things space, what can you guys tell me about it? Any particular good starting tips for getting into the game?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:33:22 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

The elite games inspired Wing Commander: Privateer, Freelancer and the X series. As such it's a very free-form game with not so much in the way of plot (yet?).

Can't tell you much else as it's always online and I am not.

Offline Luis Dias

This thing is out already? Hm. I won't play it, but it does seem .... visually awesome.

The visuals don't impress me that much tbh.
The sounds on the other hand...

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Its pretty cool. Still a bit light on content, but this is just the beginning - Frontier are going to add more interesting things to do as time goes on, so I am confident its going to be a great game. And yes, the sounds are of very good quality.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

So, I just bought this based on its apparent goodness, but having never played any of the Elite games, I have no idea what to expect. Given this community's interest in all things space, what can you guys tell me about it? Any particular good starting tips for getting into the game?

if my experience in oolite's anything to go by, learn to a) dock and b) aim
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

I also bought this game and i'm loving it so far. ya'll should send me a friend invite in-game and maybe we could take down some assasaination missions for the 200k credit rewards. I've even found some nice trading routes. My ign is Smooticus.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I'm surprised it took this long for a thread - I'd been wanting to ask you guys about this one. A few of my EVE friends are playing it.

I, too, noticed how amazing the soundscape is just from some of the videos they've recorded and shown me. Lots of work went into that. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the interface aesthetic, but minor gripe. On the fence about buying it.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Is it as unwelcoming as Eve?
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not having played EvE, I have no comparison, but I can say that, just going by how the tutorials play, they definitely nailed the feel of flight. Going into FTL especially feels like an EVENT, something huge and enormous, and it's totally sweet.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Make sure you properly go through the shipboard contract menu before engaging in any conflicts.  I was watching some vids and a fella engaged in a mission without properly accepting the contract.  It wasn't until he flew back to base and payed the repair bill and restocking fee that he realized he had made no dinero.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Frontier: ELITE 2 veteran.

Learn a trade route, get rich. Upgrade your jump drive and shields.  Not sure how the autopilot is on dangerous but that would also be a priority.

Missiles beat pulse lasers. The imperial courier is the best ship.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I've been playing this since launch, it's sucked me in pretty thoroughly.

The game really nails the feeling of being in a spaceship better than anything else I've played. The visuals and sounds are extremely well designed to this end, down to little touches like windows frosting over if you turn off life support or instruments steaming if you spend too much time near a star. Flying in hyperspace, docking, fighting... everything is built to have excellent presence. Sound plays as big a part as visuals here: the audio in this game is terrific and makes me wish I had the speakers to do it justice.

The universe is a bit sparse on content: there's just not a huge variety of things to do and kinds of interactions you can have. The ones that are in place, though, are generally very solid and so far have held my interest just fine. I do hope that the game continues to develop more content, it needs it for long-term appeal. There's a lot of potential for emergent scenarios and adventure that just hasn't yet been tapped.

Despite being described as an "MMO" the game is essentially single player, even in the "open" online mode, and unless you go looking for them it's rare to see another player and rarer to actually interact with them. The co-op experience is currently weak but right at the top of Frontier's priority queue to fix.

The ship flight dynamics are semi-newtonian, with a soft speed limit that changes based on engine power and that can be temporarily broken by boosting (like Freespace). There's a "flight assist off" option that lets you do the usual glide&rotate manevers, with the additional wrinkle that it also disables rotational correction. This makes turning it off a tactical choice that usually costs you your ability to aim finely, making it best used in short bursts by most people. The other big notable thing about the flight model is the airplane-like constraints on turn rate that have nothing to do with newtonian physics at all: your ship yaws much slower than it pitches, and both pitch and yaw speed vary based on how fast your ship is moving (there's a sweet spot at about 50% throttle for maximum turn rate). This limit is shamelessly in place to promote a swoopy-chasey sort of dogfight over the mutual dodge&circlestrafe kind of fight you get with other 6DOF games like Descent & Star Citizen. It's not my favorite aspect but in the end it works well enough.

The UI is especially well done and elegant, giving you a ton of control over ship subsystems and modules while also being very easy to use. Power management is nicely essential to combat, even more so than in Freespace, and forces you to make real tradeoffs between defense, maneuverability, and firepower.

Overall, I think any space sim fan should pick it up and try it eventually... but I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to wait for the price to come down or more breadth and depth of content to be added. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go experiment with my Viper weapon configurations as I make my way towards Alliance space.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Is it as unwelcoming as Eve?
Well the community certainly has the same HTFU mentality when it comes to getting ganked by other players.  I saw some of the standard, "your fault, don't fly what you can't afford" comments on their forums.  As for gamewise itself, it is something of a quicksand box yet since there's not that many things to do
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Rhys

It's very slow to start. I spent a lot of time doing simple trade contracts with small rewards. Then I found out that you can go after bounties and make much more money.

I recommend sticking with the sidewinder and selling the free eagle you get. Use that money to upgrade the weapons and get a heat sink launcher.

Just stay away from anacondas. They will ruin your day if you aren't prepared.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
This thing is out already? Hm. I won't play it, but it does seem .... visually awesome.

Every video and stream I've seen of it looks worse than fully upgraded FS2.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft

Every video and stream I've seen of it looks worse than fully upgraded FS2.

Perhaps it was due to poor streaming and recording quality setups or lowered graphics settings in game?

This video I recorded looks very good in my opinion.

Personally, I like the game so far. Its control scheme is very intuitive but the game does little to actually assist you in learning much of the controls.
I haven't really faced any problems with the game running itself, in fact it is really well optimized. I run the game on a 1440p to 1080p DSR downscale with Ultra graphics at 60 fps or more.

Gameplay can vary depending on what you do. E: D pretty much leaves you to your own devices, so it may not be fun for everyone. The combat can be either boring or exciting because AI are relatively weak but when you find players it really puts your skills and mind to the test.
I would like to see a marker that points out where the enemy is relative to you on your HUD. The radar shows you where they are in 3D space but it's still easy to lose your opponent.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Perhaps it was due to poor streaming and recording quality setups or lowered graphics settings in game?

This video I recorded looks very good in my opinion.

That does look much better and more in line with most screenshots, but since it remains the only one I've encountered that does, I remain somewhat suspicious of the game's behavior at high settings.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

One of the people I watch on youtube has been playing it, may give a few hints on how to start out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qArGm2Thyc

He's just been doing some trading and mining. Hasn't done any bounty hunting or anything like that.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Liking it so far, my in game name is qazwsxal, I'd appreciate the add :)
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife