Author Topic: Release: 3.7.2 RC1  (Read 26409 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Comparing a stretched Jean-luc picard with a stretched menu button is just not the same thing to me.
Having blackboxes/pillars next to the menu makes the game look like a cheap flash game. Stretching is definitely the lesser of two evils in my book.

Yeah, definitely this. Something deep and instinctual in me sees a pillarboxed menu as a sign that I've just booted up an old, broken, or ****ty game.

See I view it as quite the opposite: if I fired up a game and saw the interface graphics stretched to hell across my screen, I'd figure that it was an older title that no one had touched in a decade, or else that it was created by some cheap hack.  Our coders and artists have done amazing things with this game, but having a new SCP user's first impression of it be BLARGHSTRETCH seems massively counter-productive.  I loathe when TV networks auto-stretch older 4:3 content to fill the whole screen, just because the ignorant masses have never heard of "aspect ratio."  Until there's support for actual widescreen mainhalls that mjn's able to work some render magic on, I think pillarboxing as the default option sends a much more competent message.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Your argument just doesn't connect with me on the level I'm talking about, and like Spoon I don't see a menu as really analogous to gameplay or television or a movie.

Every mainhall I look at on a routine basis looks great in 16:10.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Poll made
Here's hoping sensibility will prevail!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Here's hoping a true new interface system will be added sooner rather than later to make this whole argument moot.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Here's hoping a true new interface system will be added sooner rather than later to make this whole argument moot.
See? Sensibility :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Windows users will need to get Creative's OpenAL installer.
Should we not also link to OpenAL Soft?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Windows users will need to get Creative's OpenAL installer.
Should we not also link to OpenAL Soft?

Yeah - I fully support that.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's worth noting that the FSO Installer will also install OpenAL for you.

Offline Arpit

Sorry for the earlier post. It was my brother who was posting through my account. As for the issue, I too have confirmed it, but it does not come up when playing through the debug build. It only happens on the release build with the CTD occuring within seconds.
Here's the debug log.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I see you're using an Intel GPU, can you check if the crash appears when you start the game with the "-no_glsl" commandline option (also known as the "Disable Shader support" option in the Launcher's Troubleshooting section)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

IMO there should be links for both OpenALs in the opening post. OpenAL soft is not better for everyone.

For example, I ended up getting some additional DPC latency when I tried OpenAL soft and that resulted in some "pop" sounds when clicking anything on the briefing menu. So for me, the Creative's version works better even though I fully understand why most people would like to transfer to Open AL soft :/

My audio card is Asus Xonar Essence STX (using UniXonar drivers w/ Win 7 x64), in case someone wonders.

----
----

As for the 3.7.2 RC. I have a couple of things that I'd love to see fixed for this new stable release :):

Number 1 (by far): The rendering bugs in Nebula. (it's already on the target list, but I want to emphasize the importance of this bug.)

Reason: It's pretty much unmissable and always reproducible. It happens especially often when I try to look around the cockpit with the joystick's "thumb thingy". It's also probably the only reoccurring visual glitch in the whole game, so it would be awesome to get rid of it. My graphics card is rather new (Geforce GTX 770 w/ newest drivers), so it's not caused by that. In fact, this bug has happened with 3 different computers I have tried.

Number 2: The endless and bugged SOC skip loop button

Reason: New players can accidentally reset the vanilla FS2 campaign by clicking that button.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
IMO there should be links for both OpenALs in the opening post. OpenAL soft is not better for everyone.
I concur; that is why I said "also", as in, "in addition to".
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline neoterran

Hi all, it's been a while  :p

Have any of you tried playing this using a retina display mac ?

None of the resolutions are usable except the lowest one on 16:10.

The others all just are totally distorted.

I was wondering if there is a fix for this ? I can still play at super low resolution tho.

Memories ;)
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
what up

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Also some screenshots would be awesome.

Offline neoterran

Oh wait, hold on. I copied the old mediavps when moving files to this comp.

That's not going to work. Let get the 2014 mediavps and see if that fixes it :)

If not I will post back with info. I have have had some display scaling issues with some other games on

this mac tho...
Chief Grognard.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
FSO is currently not set up to handle Retina-style high-DPI displays.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline neoterran

Okay yeah, I figured that out. Thanks !

*edit*

Okay if anyone else is in the same boat, the solution is to go the OS X Preferences on Mavericks (Don't know if this will work if you're reading this in the far future and STILL playing this game, but give it a try)

take it off the retina resolution and move it to scaled. probably 1920 x 1200 is your best option.

Then run via wxLauncher the game at either 1600 x 1050  or 1920 x 1200 (slightly cropped at bottom) in windowed mode.

That way you can at least run the game at high res, it looks a lot better.

I just want to say, that I think you guys have done a great job, I just played the campaign I voice acted almost 10 years ago for Blaise Russell "Echo Gate" in his brshivans campaign. I got a pretty big kick out of it.

I do think it's amazing that 8 years later many of the people I remember are still here and you guys are still playing this game.

It really is a game with high replay value. Well, at least until Star Citizen is done and everyone forgets about this :)

Anyway, I haven't been here for years, but fantastic community, and thanks to all the C coders who donate much time and effort.

Game runs so much better on a modern mac today than it did in 2009.

So for that I say thanks to all of you. You know who you are.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:59:57 pm by neoterran »
Chief Grognard.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I noticed 'Enable Framebuffer shockwaves' is still listed under experimental in the launcher. Shouldnt this be moved to graphics?
Urutorahappī!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It really is a game with high replay value. Well, at least until Star Citizen is done and everyone forgets about this :)

lol

Offline Echelon9

Game runs so much better on a modern mac today than it did in 2009.

Yes, big improvements via changes in the FS2Open graphics code plus the OpenGL code paths provided by the latest OS X are much better (still some way to go).