Author Topic: Ancients  (Read 18634 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Just think. If instead they had just sold us the low pollution engines everyone would have been better off :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Thanks for the welcome and corrections Mr. Sesquipedalian.

I have a question, though. What do you mean when you say that motivations cannot be explained because doing so would "twist and distort V's creation away from what they intended." Are you saying that Volition hasn't given the player enough information to facilitate that kind of extension. And are you saying that the Shivans have no "polarization" in the plot primarily because their existence, as portrayed by Volition, is intentionally ambiguous so that there's nothing to polarize in the first place?

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Stunaep

Considering, everything on the Sathanas (and the Shivan Comm Node, for that matter) is classified Level Omega, I'd say it goes from Alpha to Omega

The Sathanas is classified level Upsilon, but Upsilon is also one of the last letters in the Greek alphabet, third to last if I recall.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by Garfield3d

I have a question, though. What do you mean when you say that motivations cannot be explained because doing so would "twist and distort V's creation away from what they intended." Are you saying that Volition hasn't given the player enough information to facilitate that kind of extension. And are you saying that the Shivans have no "polarization" in the plot primarily because their existence, as portrayed by Volition, is intentionally ambiguous so that there's nothing to polarize in the first place?

What I think he's saying is that the shivans were meant to be the ultimate hostile alien race. They're faceless, have uber tech, kill everything in their path for no aparent reason, and to top it all off, there are a seemingly infinite amount of them.

in other words, making sense of them = making them queer.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Are you saying that Volition hasn't given the player enough information to facilitate that kind of extension.

not much was told in the FS or FS2 campaign about the ancients, if anything, because Volition wanted them to remain mysterious, and for the player to use their imagination

also i'm sure they couldn't be bothered about going into an in-depth timeline :D

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi

:lol: I don't recall anyone ever calling me "Mister" on this board before. :D

What I mean is that the story that Volition made does not present the Shivans to us as beings we can identify with.  We (as real people, not imaginary GTA/GTVA citizens) can understand the Ancients and Vasudans, because their stories and cultures and motivations, etc., are presented to us as being like ours.  Because the Vasudans and Ancients are basically humans in other skins, so far as their function in the story is concerned, we can imagine ourselves in their positions.  However, the story writers very intentionally did not present the Shivans to us in this way because they are serving an entirely different function in the story.  The Shivans are this particular story's embodiment of the evil/destructive force/malevolent adversity that must appear in every good story in some form or another.  (It is true that in many stories that embodiment takes the form of a "bad guy" character who can to a degree be identified with by the reader, but the "bad guy" is never a full character: only the evil side appears in him.)  To turn the Shivans into beings like us completely changes the entire structure of the story Volition told, making it cease to be a story about broken, partially good and partially evil humanity versus an overwhelming outside evil, and turnign it instead into a story about humans like ourselves vs. funny-looking, more powerful humans like ourselves.  Very, very different sort of story.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

(In resposne to Stealth)
Originally posted by Stealth

not much was told in the FS or FS2 campaign about the ancients, if anything, because Volition wanted them to remain mysterious, and for the player to use their imagination

also i'm sure they couldn't be bothered about going into an in-depth timeline :D

Hmm... when I was talking about insufficient information to draw a characterization, I was pointing at the Shivans, not the Ancients (although... the thread is called "Ancients.") Personally, I felt that although there is a whole lot of mystery behind the Ancients, Freespace: The Great War provided enough 'dialogue' between the Ancients and the player for us to draw a basic face to the Ancients. To me, the Shivans feel much more ambiguous.

(In response to Sesqipedalian)
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
:lol: I don't recall anyone ever calling me "Mister" on this board before. :D

What I mean is that the story that Volition made does not present the Shivans to us as beings we can identify with.  We (as real people, not imaginary GTA/GTVA citizens) can understand the Ancients and Vasudans, because their stories and cultures and motivations, etc., are presented to us as being like ours.  Because the Vasudans and Ancients are basically humans in other skins, so far as their function in the story is concerned, we can imagine ourselves in their positions.  However, the story writers very intentionally did not present the Shivans to us in this way because they are serving an entirely different function in the story.  The Shivans are this particular story's embodiment of the evil/destructive force/malevolent adversity that must appear in every good story in some form or another.  (It is true that in many stories that embodiment takes the form of a "bad guy" character who can to a degree be identified with by the reader, but the "bad guy" is never a full character: only the evil side appears in him.)  To turn the Shivans into beings like us completely changes the entire structure of the story Volition told, making it cease to be a story about broken, partially good and partially evil humanity versus an overwhelming outside evil, and turnign it instead into a story about humans like ourselves vs. funny-looking, more powerful humans like ourselves.  Very, very different sort of story.

Meh, I like to call people Mr. or Mme sometimes because it sounds catchier.

I think we're diverging on the perspective on the Shivans though. My whole feeling on the Shivans as being a mechanism of the universe was from the perspective of an actual citizen in the Freespace universe.  While I think I can see your perspective on the Shivans as being painted as the great evil in the plot, I think... I disagree. My take on the plot was that the Shivans were an ambiguous and mysterious force that could only be antagonized as a clensing force in which we were at the recieving end of. I would say that the monologues in Freespace: The Great War help bring about this characterization (at least for me.) I agree that the Shivans are not an entity that we can really identify, but I didn't feel that the Shivans were painted as a pure evil; rather, they're antagonized because they want to eliminate us. Retrospectively, I think this perspective diverges pretty far from the standard fare of "fighting the good fight" and makes a pretty crappy motivator for the player/pilots in Freespace 2. I'm not sure we'll reach a consensus on this point though. While the Shivans always spooked me, I always had a nudging feeling that I couldn't blame them.

(Edited for itallics and some spelling)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I disagree with your view that the shivans are painted as an unknowable evil Sesquipedalian. Bosch understood them (or at least felt he did). Furthermore they didn't kill Bosch when he started to speak to him. Instead they took him away in their ships. That means that in FS2 [V] wanted to add some ambiguity to the shivans. Maybe they aren't evil. Maybe they were doing something else.

Bosch believed that humanity could make an alliance with the shivans. An alliance that somehow would never happen while we we allies with the Vasudans. Again that does sit well for me with the prospect of an unknowable evil. The shivans do have goals that a human can understand it's just that [V] reserved them for FS3.

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Hmmm... I suddenly have an idea... a great idea I might add :drevil:
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Care to elaborate?

Or it needs refining?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Perhaps later...

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
... My take on the plot was that the Shivans were an ambiguous and mysterious force that could only be antagonized as a clensing force in which we were at the recieving end of. ...
And I can understand your perspective, but I likewise cannot quite agree.  That the Shivans are a complex destructive force, in that there are side effects that might be classed as "good", I would wholeheartedly agree.  But what did the Terrans or the Vasudans do to warrant destruction?  Discovered subspace and had a little spat between themselves.  The Ancients may have made themselves a scourge over other races, but all we had done was simply be there.  The Shivans were not destroying us because we'd commited some crime that demanded punishment, but just because we were there.  

New life may indeed spring up where death and destruction have passed before, which is the FS universe's ultimate moral.  But that day breaks after the night doesn't make the night any less dark.

Originally posted by karajorma
I disagree with your view that the shivans are painted as an unknowable evil Sesquipedalian. Bosch understood them (or at least felt he did). Furthermore they didn't kill Bosch when he started to speak to him. Instead they took him away in their ships. That means that in FS2 [V] wanted to add some ambiguity to the shivans. Maybe they aren't evil. Maybe they were doing something else.

Bosch believed that humanity could make an alliance with the shivans. An alliance that somehow would never happen while we we allies with the Vasudans. Again that does sit well for me with the prospect of an unknowable evil. The shivans do have goals that a human can understand it's just that [V] reserved them for FS3.
But they did kill everyone on his ship indiscriminately when they took him.  You've misunderstood my meaning ever so subtly, karajorma. :)  I did not say they are of necessity unknowable: V could have written the story a bit differently, of course.  I said that in V's story they are an unknown.  To change that is to change the function of the Shivans in the story, and thus to change the nature of the whole story.  It is not that the Shivans have no motivations (there usually are motivations associated with evil in most stories), but we are not told their motivations because they are supposed to remain incomprehensible to us (as real people).

Let me take a different tack for a minute.  In 2000, I visited a preserved concentration camp in Dauchau.  The single most disturbing thing about that day was not the photos, or the ovens, or the bunkers, or the medical experiment records.  It was how effortlessly I could imagine being in the place, not of an inmate (which was hard), but of a guard.  I spoke to others about this, and they had similar experiences.  Any person could have become one, easily.  The choice is simple, and perfectly understandable (hence the effortlessness of imagining it).  And yet, understanding of the motivation that would bring one to choose such a course eluded me, and still does.  I can imagine myself into the place of a guard.  I cannot imagine why such evil was done.  

Now, in this example, we can see that even being able to imagine oneself in the very place of the person with evil motivation does not allow one to understand the evil motivation.  If we could truly understand it, we wouldn't call it evil anymore.  We might call it insane or confused or misguided, and so find a place for it in the universe, as if it belonged here.  But it is evil, and therefore we cannot truly understand it.  So likewise the Shivans: whatever their general and particular motivations, V keeps them incomprehensible to us, because if they were known and understood by us, we could say of them "Oh, well, that's alright then."

As for Bosch, many people, real and fictitious, have foolishly felt they could ally with evil for some good end.  Another of FS's major themes was that evil begets evil.  As Bosch himself said, his quest had resulted in the deaths of millions.  The irony of his final monologue's words followed by what the Shivans did when they arrived (killing everyone and dragging him aboard) clinched it for me on that count.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 01:30:18 am by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Meh, the Shadows apparantly had no reason to destroy everything and everyone... But that turned out to be quite different too :p

Since there is no FS3 we will either have to create a campaign (like the expansion we are planning) that will explain it further. Otherwise its just speculation as V never released the full story :p.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Tiara
Meh, the Shadows apparantly had no reason to destroy everything and everyone... But that turned out to be quite different too :p

Since there is no FS3 we will either have to create a campaign (like the expansion we are planning) that will explain it further. Otherwise its just speculation as V never released the full story :p.

Couldn't have put it better myself :D

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
It is even more speculative to think that V was ever planning to reveal the motivations of the Shivans.  What makes you think they would suddenly undo the spell they'd worked so carefully to weave for two full installments?

It doesn't compare with TV series, either.  TV series are made up as they go along.  The FS trilogy, had it been completed, would have been a unified narrative, like the original Star Wars trilogy.  TV series are written in such a way that they can be constantly added to.  They don't have a fixed end in sight from the beginning, so their stories can and do change and morph over time.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
It is even more speculative to think that V was ever planning to reveal the motivations of the Shivans.  What makes you think they would suddenly undo the spell they'd worked so carefully to weave for two full installments?

It doesn't compare with TV series, either.  TV series are made up as they go along.  The FS trilogy, had it been completed, would have been a unified narrative, like the original Star Wars trilogy.  TV series are written in such a way that they can be constantly added to.  They don't have a fixed end in sight from the beginning, so their stories can and do change and morph over time.

1). If V wouldn't do that they'd be making a mistake. Leaving such holes in a story is never good IMO unless its the 1st or 2nd part. But after 3 game eps (4 if you count ST) the reasons should be known else it'd get dull. Fighting for no apparent reason.

But yes, V has been a dumb-ass and left us speculating about this. But its not more speculative, cause this at least can be given a valid, non-sci-fi reason for. :p

2). :wtf: You say TV series never have an ending? When the Shadows and Vorlons left it was pretty much an ending for that saga. Yes, B5 continued, but that part of the story was revealed and had ended. Such major plot developments like Shivand or Vorlon/Shadows should never stay unexplained.

And SW, well, that were just movies of the same thing over and  over again :doubt:

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Tiara

1). If V wouldn't do that they'd be making a mistake. Leaving such holes in a story is never good IMO unless its the 1st or 2nd part. But after 3 game eps (4 if you count ST) the reasons should be known else it'd get dull. Fighting for no apparent reason.

But yes, V has been a dumb-ass and left us speculating about this. But its not more speculative, cause this at least can be given a valid, non-sci-fi reason for. :p
Not holes at all.  FS's story is about us, not them.  The Shivans are "what happens", the Terrans (and Vasudans, sort of) and what they do in this situation is what the story is about.  If the story was about Shivans, it'd tell us about Shivans.  Instead it tells us about Terrans.  And since it is about Terrans, we don't need to know about Shivans.  So these aren't holes at all.  Look at FS1: we never knew their motivations there, yet it made a perfectly good story.  Yet you speak as though changing the length of the story somehow changed the "shape" of the story.

2). :wtf: You say TV series never have an ending? When the Shadows and Vorlons left it was pretty much an ending for that saga. Yes, B5 continued, but that part of the story was revealed and had ended. Such major plot developments like Shivand or Vorlon/Shadows should never stay unexplained.
Read carefully.  I said they are not generally written with a specific ending in sight from the beginning.  They always end, but they usually just end up wherever they happen to have ended up.  

And why should they never remain unexplained?  In some stories they can, do, and should remain unexplained.  Each story is different, and for some, explaining the mystery kills the story.  FS is one of those: if the motivations of the Shivans were explained, it would suck out all its power.  I'd never come back to it again.

And SW, well, that were just movies of the same thing over and  over again :doubt:
The quality of Star Wars is irrelevant: what matters is that all three were composed together as a single story.  FS bears the marks of having been composed the same way, thus indicating that consistency between 3 and 1&2 would be expected.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 02:12:46 am by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
There is a difference between having a mysterious enemy and just having an enemy who exists as a plot device.

Unlike FS1 which makes sense as a stand alone FS2 doesn't make sense. It's easy to see why the shivans would attack the Terran and Vasudan homeworlds first. Cut off the head and the body dies. But the destruction of Capella doesn't make much sense. Why didn't the Shivan's just wipe out the whole GTVA? They definately had the muscle for it.

That sort of thing has to be explained by a sequel. Otherwise the shivans would change from a believeable enemy into a simple plot device. If the shivans are to be believeable they need to act as though they have concrete, understandable motives or you might as well replace them with a standard mustache twiddling enemy who just does things cause he's evil.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by karajorma
There is a difference between having a mysterious enemy and just having an enemy who exists as a plot device.

Unlike FS1 which makes sense as a stand alone FS2 doesn't make sense. It's easy to see why the shivans would attack the Terran and Vasudan homeworlds first. Cut off the head and the body dies. But the destruction of Capella doesn't make much sense. Why didn't the Shivan's just wipe out the whole GTVA? They definately had the muscle for it.

That sort of thing has to be explained by a sequel. Otherwise the shivans would change from a believeable enemy into a simple plot device. If the shivans are to be believeable they need to act as though they have concrete, understandable motives or you might as well replace them with a standard mustache twiddling enemy who just does things cause he's evil.
Every character functions as a plot device.  That isn't all that can be said about a character, but it is certainly a large part of what can be said.  I have been discussing this aspect of the Shivans because it is from this aspect that I have been arguing.  I did not say this is the only aspect there is to the Shivans.

Apparently I have not been clear enough about my precise subject matter.  I am not discussing the Shivans' particular motives for particular actions (e.g. nuking Capella, destroying the GTC Lysander, firing missiles at enemy fighters, etc.), but their larger motivations.  We likely would have been given some clue why they nuked Capella in FS3.  But what drives them to do what they do, what the goals and values and desires of a Shivan are, would remain a mystery.  I haven't been taking issue with people wondering why they blew up Capella, but with people trying to draw analogies to their character from the socio-political realites of human inter-relations.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

That the Shivans are a complex destructive force, in that there are side effects that might be classed as "good", I would wholeheartedly agree. But what did the Terrans or the Vasudans do to warrant destruction? Discovered subspace and had a little spat between themselves. The Ancients may have made themselves a scourge over other races, but all we had done was simply be there. The Shivans were not destroying us because we'd commited some crime that demanded punishment, but just because we were there.

I find it difficult to classify the shivans as'good' or 'evil' as such concepts are essentially social constructions and based on your particular outlook. The ruthless efficiency of the shivans in my opinion can't really be viewed as evil as i don't think there is any instance of them exibiting any form of emotion or understanding of others suffering and the fact that the shivans were destroying the terrans just because they were there can't be described as inherently evil in the same way as i doubt you would describe the construction company that builds over an ants nest as evil, its just a fact.
DEF