Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 908312 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Get horizontal, kevlar towards the flash which just blinded you lol.

Kids..... Back in my day we called it NBC :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Sounds like giving people a hoax-assurance. A bit like telling people to duck and cover behind a carton box when a nuclear bomb hits 5 miles away from them.
Which, funnily enough, will provide some measure of protection.  Five miles away from a modern strategic warhead (usually in the 3-500 kT range), the box won't protect you from the blast, which you probably would not die from at that distance completely unprotected, but it will take the thermal pulse for you, meaning it burns, not you.  Ionizing radiation at five miles distance is not a concern with that size warhead either.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Umm, Astro, I think the people in Nagasaki circa 1945 would disagree about the effects of ionizing rads further out than 5 miles on bombs under 1kt.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I do think he means tactical, but Fat Man was actually 21 kT

Offline Canna_Bis

• Can be hit 4 any audio stuff...
Be advised that the nuke was dropped a few miles from the city... The bomber's crew simply missed...

BTW: They would archieve the same effect dropping the Little Boy and/or Fat Man on an uninhabited island...
Sorry 4 my English... I'm just a Pole...

Umm, Astro, I think the people in Nagasaki circa 1945 would disagree about the effects of ionizing rads further out than 5 miles on bombs under 1kt.
I never said anything regarding fallout, which is a large problem just five miles from a nuclear detonation, especially a groundburst.  In terms of the initial blast, though?  An utter non-factor at that distance; in fact, the smaller the nuke is, the relatively more dangerous the ionizing radiation gets.  Read this FAQ; I've already linked to the relevant page in it.

And Mars, no I do not mean tactical; a modern strategic warhead is indeed usually 3-500 kT.  It's more efficient to use a whole bunch of smaller devices on a dispersed target like a city in a circular pattern than detonating one really big one over the target's center.  Doing so increases the area over which a large amount of blast overpressure (greater than ~10 psi) is generated, thus destroying more hard targets.  On a side note, it is a cruel irony that going with a counterforce strategy (targeting factories, military bases, railyards, etc.) over a countervalue one (targeting population) kills more people.  This is because of the heavily increased fallout from all the groundbursts needed to get the required overpressure to destroy all the targets.  A countervalue strategy is more effectively carried out using airbursts, so you can maximize the area over which the thermal pulse starts fires and inflicts lethal 3rd-degree burns.  Fun fun.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Or you could, you know, drop a rock from orbit and say it was an Act of God.  Though do it too much and they might catch on...
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
My understanding is that strategic nukes start at 100 kT and work their way up.
Strategic Nuclear Weapon

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
That must be a relatively recent classification, because the bombs dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were less than 20 kTs, yet were strategic.
Perhaps it depends where you drop them?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

That must be a relatively recent classification, because the bombs dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were less than 20 kTs, yet were strategic.
Perhaps it depends where you drop them?
No, it's actually been around for a while.  Following the wiki link Mars posted, it really depends on what the bombs are used for; tactical nukes are used on the battlefield, while strategic ones are usually used for targeting logistics and command and control assets.  The yields of each tend to separate out naturally because of these different missions.  You want a small nuke on the battlefield to avoid killing your own troops and minimize collateral damage, while when you're going after the enemy's industry, a much larger yield per weapon is more effective.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The support ship seems to be rather eager to rearm me if I fly the Atalanta. :p

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
You sure know how to run your ship down... :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Not willing to touch that dirty Tev hardware me suspects...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
speed 303

:wtf:

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
All rockets and bombs inside the support-ship fired without releasing them :nod:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
speed 303

Perhaps it just came out from subspace, but then again, the Sathanas barely manages 837, and it slows down very fast the moment it fully appears.

Yeah. :wtf:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
speed 303

Perhaps it just came out from subspace, but then again, the Sathanas barely manages 837, and it slows down very fast the moment it fully appears.

Nope, it's not to do with subspace. I tried again to see if the Hygeia suffers the same problem. It came out of subspace at normal speed (about 20mps) and then immediately accelerated to around 330mps. So I believe it is something to do with the Atalanta's (and by extension, the original Kvasir's) paths.

You sure know how to run your ship down... :p

Haha; I've been trying that mission again to try the Tev ships out - while I was able to complete it originally in the Draco, I got killed multiple times in that and the Nyx when I retried it. I was able to complete it again when I tried the Atalanta.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
yea, Kent's a great fighter, very fast, lots of primaries and secondaries, average durability. And slammers. Draco's even faster but it's got less guns and missles; Nyx has tons of firepower and shields but the low speed hurts in the BP world (Sol theater if we want to use the in-universe terminology). Atalanta's a good mix, I always try to finish those off first, very bad to have on your tail (especially in a Uhlan), though it's not as fast as the Kent.

Of course in-universe the trade-off is that GTVA fighters have longer endurance and inter-system drives, but hey.

Come to think of it, I loved WiH's protrayal of Maxim, Balor and Treb weapon systems... here's begging for some cool new GTVA fighter weapons to fly against in R2? ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:29:45 am by Ypoknons »
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
speed 303

Nope, it's not to do with subspace. I tried again to see if the Hygeia suffers the same problem. It came out of subspace at normal speed (about 20mps) and then immediately accelerated to around 330mps. So I believe it is something to do with the Atalanta's (and by extension, the original Kvasir's) paths.
*image redacted*

Autogen paths in PCS2 and make sure they're saved, sometimes they're not. I ran into this exact issue before (mentioned in the Kvasir thread) and fixed it that way.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
yea, Kent's a great fighter, very fast, lots of primaries and secondaries, average durability. And slammers. Draco's even faster but it's got less guns and missles; Nyx has tons of firepower and shields but the low speed hurts in the BP world (Sol theater if we want to use the in-universe terminology). Atalanta's a good mix, I always try to finish those off first, very bad to have on your tail (especially in a Uhlan), though it's not as fast as the Kent.

Of course in-universe the trade-off is that GTVA fighters have longer endurance and inter-system drives, but hey.

Come to think of it, I loved WiH's protrayal of Maxim, Balor and Treb weapon systems... here's begging for some cool new GTVA fighter weapons to fly against in R2? ;)
I loved the Nyx, its pretty much an updated erinyes. I personally never got used to the Kent, I'm a heavy over speed kinda player I guess  :p
Shame you were only allowed to pick a GTVA fighter in one mission
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them