Author Topic: World of Warships - Now Available  (Read 278828 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: World of Warships - Closed Beta
Kongo ironically finds it much easier now, with a speed and range advantage over every USN ship before Tier 8.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The IJN carriers thing is probably due to be fixed, the Russian forums have...exploded may not adequately convey the issue.

A Feddie Story

The Kongo was already one of the finest ships in the game and it got buffed?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Not...exactly.

You see, if you've noticed how Warspite plays ingame now, that's how USN battleships play; slow, short-ranged, but highly maneuverable. One of the reasons I got rather annoyed with ArdRaiess earlier was his contention that this was justified by the position of the main battery directors and the Japanese use of pagoda masts; hence they could supposedly see and range targets further. (This is obviously bull**** compared to many USN Cage Mast/Tripod Mast early battleships and isn't historically born out by either practice shoots or wartime experience.)

Basically until Tier 8 and North Carolina the USN battleships have a significant range deficit against their Japanese counterparts, along with worse shell dispersion. Spotting planes do not appear until Tier 7 for some reason as well (called out on this there is a claim it's a technical problem).

Kongo wasn't buffed. They introduced an entire line she is ideally suited to kite.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Have you had a chance to try out the new Minimagi Tier IV Prem?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
No. Couldn't get a game at that Tier by the time I tried.

A Feddie Story

Wait a second.  We're slow and short ranged and with worse shell dispersion than the Japanese BB's?  Slow I can sort of understand.  Short-ranged and with poor accuracy?  We had some of the best fire direction in the entire war, if not the best.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Wait a second.  We're slow and short ranged and with worse shell dispersion than the Japanese BB's?  Slow I can sort of understand.  Short-ranged and with poor accuracy?  We had some of the best fire direction in the entire war, if not the best.

Like I said, they've tried to justify it by the placement of the main battery directors; though it's very obvious that this A: ignores radar direction and B: ignores the actual placement of USN main battery directors in Sky Control on many ships, which is well over 135 feet over the waterline, making them every bit as long-ranged as Fuso by that logic and C: ignores reality, as there are multiple recorded cases of ships with low director placement engaging accurately at 20000 yards or more (c.f. Prince of Wales vs. Bismarck, Scharnhorst vs. Glorious).

We did have some fun with someone trying to assert New York's main battery director was on her second turret at the time of Pearl Harbor, though, rather than in Sky Control.

The dispersion, though? No justification at all so far. No reason why we're inaccurate.

Also ArdRaiess at one point tried to rebut a comment on non-Allied radars by linking to a page on Russian radar, so apparently Wargaming doesn't believe the Russians were part of the Allied powers.

A Feddie Story

I'm trying hard to find the logic behind making the most accurate and best-ranged cannons in WW2 short-ranged and inaccurate, and I'm not seeing it.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

True.
Yamato has a dispersion of 350m at max range.
Most larger caliber guns have around 200m+
By comparison, Iowa has only 100m of dispersion! (and faster shells, resulting in shorter flight time and less leading necessary)
That was scarily good. Such accuracy was unheard of and it's the reason Iowas were still used for precision bombardment decades later.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
3.1 dropped today. It's not ready, of course.

This...is unfortunately becoming a habit for the designers, of creating a patch that is extremely ill-received by testers and then quickly releasing it to the public. They did it moving from alpha to beta, they've done it since beta started twice now.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'll check it out after work, sounds like I will need to adjust to the extended hash marks in the gun sight.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
South Carolina is a ridiculously maneuverable ship; even at 8km it's possible to turn into incoming shellfire and cause a significant proportion of misses.

In other news, everybody in lowtier battleships again means a good time to evangelize for the One True Church of the Mark 15 Torpedo.

And then...the madness, stop the madness...

Five kills, four BBs and a carrier; two by torpedoes outright, two by torpedoes and finished with guns, and a South Carolina by gunfire outright.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

So does this mean the nightmares of ships in 3.1 doing donuts inside my torp spreads was unfounded?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Well, frankly they could have, but they chose not to. Or didn't realize they should have. I mean, the first two literally lined themselves up so I could torpedo them, and the only reason I didn't kill both instantly was one of them ran aground.

SoCar should totally be able to turn inside a spread at 5.5km and at least minimize damage. They didn't even try. The Kawachi...well he came around the island at 2km and at that range there's nobody who can turn inside a spread. Not him, not Jesus, not David Farragut himself.

A Feddie Story

I'm about to head into the U.S. BB line.  Any tips on how to play them?

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Dodge a lot, even if it seems hopeless; your maneuverability before Tier 8 will surprise even you. Angle your armor as much as you can; your belt's lacking a certain something in the early tiers. This is usually accomplished more easily by putting a target more astern. You're very maneuverable and you have long reloads for the most part; don't be afraid in early tiers to turn off broadside while your guns reload and turn back to fire.

Also, use HE against other American BBs when at range. The new armor system means you will not penetrate their deck most of the time. Japanese decks can still be penetrated, but don't expect citadels at range like you used to get. You'll only see that when you're firing flat-trajectory into people's sides.

HE damage, and fire damage, has been buffed; beware of cruisers who spray your superstructure with HE.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Well Nagato is still a beast.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Forums are on fire with talk about a aimbot that's used.

Reliable citadel hits at 20km.

Taking out higher tier BB in just 3 salvos.

They better ban this sh**.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Forums are on fire with talk about a aimbot that's used.

Reliable citadel hits at 20km.

Taking out higher tier BB in just 3 salvos.

They better ban this sh**.

The majority of non cosmetic mods have been iced with 3.1 including the aim assist mod.  Modders may eventually adapt to the new system but in the meantime its out of commission.  It'll be nice getting a break from all the butt hurt accusation crap flying around when players actually have good gunnery.