Author Topic: World of Warships - Now Available  (Read 276286 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: World of Warships - Closed Beta
It is an elaborate suicide attempt.
On that subject, does this game allow Japanese carriers to order kamikaze strikes? (I would hope not)

No. Wargaming has been extremely definite on this, and has never said anything but no; at one point they threatened to ban someone who was insistent about having it in the game under the same rules which mean they don't tolerate swastikas (and sometimes maybe don't tolerate the Japanese Naval Ensign, but they go back and forth on that one). It's historically sensitive for obvious reasons, and none of the Tokkotai (the designated Special Attack squadrons) were carrier-based anyways.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Pilots did occasionally try to ram enemy ship when hit.
You're gonna die either way, might as well do some damage.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't know anything about boats and I am a ****ing idiot but so far I'm pretty good at clicking on bots (presumably some day I will graduate to fighting other men who stare at botes)

Tell me what to spend my warbucks on

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Depends largely on what your playstyle is, though I'm kind of iffy about carriers because of their rather awkward playstyle at the moment. (Early tiers are heavily dependent on the finicky manual torpedo attack mode; divebombers are largely useless.)

Japanese DDs are a joy when they work if you like the torpedo ambush, but their lack of any useful guns and the general rise in player skill level with tiers makes them increasingly frustrating beyond Tier 6. American DDs after Tier 5 play radically different from general destroyer gameplay in their line below that and in the Japanese line, becoming tiny cruisers with the ability to alphaderp people who get too close with torps.

American cruisers are monster gun platforms but have a sharp playstyle break between Cleveland and Pensacola (Clevelands and below charge and overwhelm with rapid gunfire, Pensacolas snipe), with ships after Pensacola sliding back towards the Cleveland playstyle slowly as you advance. Japanese cruisers are generally weaker than their American counterparts but also have the torpedo alphaderp; the exception is Mogami, which plays like a giant Cleveland on speed.

Battleships stand off at range and should never accept close action, unless the only thing around is other battleships. Kawachi is okay but too-short-ranged, Myogi is suffering, Kongo is good, Fuso is amazing, Nagato is a bit of a downgrade in some respects and has to exploit its range to maximum effect against Fusos, Amagi is also amazing, Yamato is currently suffering from a bizarrely broken armor model that lets 6" guns knock its turrets out.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
+1

One of the best things going for WOWs is pretty much everything (aside from possibly carriers) can compete against the higher tiers it might face and even the grinds from stock configs aren't that bad.  None of the Tier VII 90mm on my Tier IX M46 type of shenanigans.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:11:49 pm by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I feel like there's an exception to NGTM-1R's proclamation that BBs should not accept close action.

Get two BBs next to each other and all guns blazing Age of Sail style and it's ****ing beautiful

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I feel like there's an exception to NGTM-1R's proclamation that BBs should not accept close action.

Get two BBs next to each other and all guns blazing Age of Sail style and it's ****ing beautiful

Like I said, if the only thing is other BBs. (I love having a chance to close with the Kongo, because nobody else seems to know how to citadel with flat-trajectory fire.)

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Right, that reminds me, I'm pretty much sticking to HE so fire (low tier cruisers) but I assume at some point I should figure out advanced placement (heh hoo ha heh) of AP rounds. When HE when AP

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
When HE: destroyers, battleships higher tier than you, setting carrier decks on fire
When AP: literally every other time.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
At this point I even fire AP at destroyers when using a cruiser or DD. I usually get good hits.

In other news.

Beauty shot of a fully upgraded Clemson (I've kept it forever because it's fun).

The Zombie Cleveland; secondaries did not respond to his presence, ships, shells, and torpedoes passed straight through him. But he wasn't dead, not really. Forced a draw.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Wow I've seen a friendly Mogami do that but he "died" off on one of the flanks.  It seriously wouldn't let you cap?

I am eagerly awaiting the adjustments to the IJN DDs.  I am lighting myself on fire all the time but she rarely burns for me  :blah:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ugh, still waiting for my beta invite. I should probably stop reading this thread.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Wow I've seen a friendly Mogami do that but he "died" off on one of the flanks.  It seriously wouldn't let you cap?

Yeah, we have six ships parked in the cap circle, but he's there too and the game still internally counts that as "alive enemy ship in cap", so can't get it to progress.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
That must have been the longest most frustrating 2 minutes of any match.  I bet the chat stream was very colorful.

So I would like to retract my statement about BB's not doing enough damage. Been practicing my aim on the Kongo, had some great shots (learned where those citadels are  :D ).
Got myself a Fuso a few days ago. Fantastic ship, one of the most fun I've played so far.
Just played this match about 30 minutes ago, killed the twitch streamer Sidestrafe too!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Cleveland-class beauty shots; if they ever let me put hull numbers or names on them, my Cleveland's going to be CL-57 for the record.

Only so much you can do, sadly. (If the Nagato hadn't engaged me at only 2000 health left, I probably could have killed him; he was down to 10k himself. That's only a couple good salvos for me, or five bad ones; only got off two, one bad and one good.)

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
You know, I'm getting sick of not being able to carry hard enough. The Cleveland is a joy; I went 2v1 with a Kongo and a Mogami looping around an island for close action (I think at my closest approach I was 500 meters from the Kongo) sank the Mogami, messed up the Kongo, lived to tell, but the rest of the team let a battleship through the middle while I was busy trying to save our carrier by distracting the Kongo.

That didn't go so well. Ah well, I was dubbed "the most annoying Cleveland ever" by the Kongo driver.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Okay, I played a bunch! This game is not yet good, for fairly basic mechanical reasons. It could be a ton of fun with improvements to ship diversity and the citadel hit mechanic, though.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
This is true.  The framework and foundation for a good game is there, though, which is more than one can say about anything else WG has ever done, and more than another fair few MMO type games, especially free ones.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Okay, I played a bunch! This game is not yet good, for fairly basic mechanical reasons. It could be a ton of fun with improvements to ship diversity and the citadel hit mechanic, though.

Yeah, the things I could say about it if they'd take the Alpha NDA off.

Of course, if you examine the beta forums I've probably said them.

A Feddie Story