Author Topic: "Alternate history" campaigns  (Read 3097 times)

Offline CT27

"Alternate history" campaigns
Can anyone think of any campaigns/mods where the canon of what happened in FS/FS2 was changed?

I can think of two at the moment:
1-"Neo-Terra Reality"-NTF does significantly better in the war
2-"Road To Victory"-Eventually, the strike on the Lucifer in subspace partially fails.  However, a couple reactors are destroyed and the Lucifer enters Sol with the shield down.  The final mission involves you having to conventionally destroy the Lucifer before it can jump out or recharge the shield

Unfortunately, both those campaigns have a number of bugs and can be a chore to play.

Can anyone think of any FS/FS2 'alternate history' scenarios you'd like to play?  I forget the name of the project, but supposedly someone was working on a campaign where the Shivans never came and the T-V War is fought further.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: "Alternate history" campaigns
BP:AOA base premise is what happens if forces from the canon timeline end up in an alternate timeline
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Can anyone think of any FS/FS2 'alternate history' scenarios you'd like to play?  I forget the name of the project, but supposedly someone was working on a campaign where the Shivans never came and the T-V War is fought further.

There was an extremely old HLP project called Alternate Paths which explored this possibility.  I think there was also one more campaign subsequent to Alternate Paths that had the same idea.  Both, unfortunately, came to naught.

On your bullet point #1, Neo-Terra Victorious is another old HLP project that got as far as releasing a demo but not the campaign as fully envisioned.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

There was an extremely old HLP project called Alternate Paths which explored this possibility.  I think there was also one more campaign subsequent to Alternate Paths that had the same idea.  Both, unfortunately, came to naught.
He is probably talking about Twist of Fate by Woolie Wool that is still in WiP stage. Pretty cool demo still can be downloaded from fsmods.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

There was also a campaign named "Neo Terra" that was released and consisted of 30 missions that retold the whole FreeSpace 2 campaign with a victorious NTF.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

I also thought of that alturnate ending to FS1 eccept in mine, 4 reactors were gone and the 5th was so badly damaged that the shivans could not run their shield and fire their planet killing weapon at the same time. This forces the shivans into survival mode. Run the shields period until more reactors can be repaired.

In the mean time, the last reactor is so badly damaged, that with enough firepower, terran forces can ware down the shield like any other and kill the fucifer. And sense this is earth, there are enough forces on hand to do it.

Lucifer dies, earth wins. :lol:

SpaceAce.

Offline CT27

There was also a campaign named "Neo Terra" that was released and consisted of 30 missions that retold the whole FreeSpace 2 campaign with a victorious NTF.

Is that the one where the NTF pulls a Raynor/Erebus out of nowhere?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
There was a project called "What-If" that went along with the idea of the Vasudans taking the upper hand in the T-V War, wasn't there?  I don't know if it was ever released in any form though.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

He is probably talking about Twist of Fate by Woolie Wool that is still in WiP stage. Pretty cool demo still can be downloaded from fsmods.

Twist of Fate is still alive, almost met the reaper yesterday when a botched video card installation damaged the SATA port of my hard drive. Fortunately I was able to jury-rig the cable in place and I've copied all of Twist of Fate's resources to another computer.

I really should put out a new demo, the old one was made before FSO release builds would slap your hand for debug build warnings and is chock full of errors. Also the missions in it have all been replaced with much better ones, and the storyline is much better explained, and I've removed the shields subplot and replaced it with a different one that will happen in chapter 2 (2337) and you won't actually have shields until chapter 3 (2347). The old demo is kind of embarrassing, really.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
There was a project called "What-If" that went along with the idea of the Vasudans taking the upper hand in the T-V War, wasn't there?  I don't know if it was ever released in any form though.

Are you talking about "What If - Another Great War"?
If so, it has been released.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,56156.0.html
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Kie99

I should preface this by saying I haven't touched FRED in years before this weekend,, I've never been particularly good at it and I'm very lazy so it'll probably never be released, but I've started doing a what if  in the last couple of days.  The premise that the blockade pulled in The Romans Blunder was swiftly and successfully reimplemented by the Vasudan Admiral who tried to take out the Iceni in Rebels and Renegades.  With the NTF's focus more on the civil war rather than Bosch's desire to form an alliance  with the Shivans and divisions within the GTVA I'd see that conflict going significantly better for them, but the Iceni going up in smoke along with Bosch and ETAK would have a pretty serious impact the Shivan conflict.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"