Author Topic: Help with the graphics "Expert needed"  (Read 2449 times)

Help with the graphics "Expert needed"
Okay  so this is more of a help with question then a Issue question i just dont know where to flag thoes peeps that would know how to do this

So for Years now I've been trying to Maximise the Graphics in the Freespace Open version I have a few things
In this video, i see the guy got it looking really pretty  and fantastic looking I have contacted the guy a few times over the years and he says that he can't remember the Strings he put in to get this level of detail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXF2uHPiZoo&t=1s
Is there anyone on thsi forum thats willing to work with me to try and get this kind of detail, or even better if possible

Also, i have encountered some errors while trying to use "fs2_open_3_8_0_x64_SSE2"  it keeps telling me I have missing files
avcodec-57.dll
avformat-57.dll
avutil-55.dll
And am forced to use "fs2_open_3_7_4_RC1_SSE2"

So yeah , if there is anyone that can assist me in this that would greatly help for i want to make some updated FreeSpace Open trailers.
 :banghead:

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Help with the graphics "Expert needed"
avcodec-57.dll
avformat-57.dll
avutil-55.dll
All should be included in the 3_8_0 package, they just need to be extracted to your freespace folder. If for some reason they aren't in there, download one of the latest nightly builds, and extract them from there.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

The nightly builds? where to i get that from?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
They're regularly posted in this board.

Could that be the issue with my graphics?

This is currently what it looks like on my computer :
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/233289478

But what I want it to look like is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXF2uHPiZoo&t

Offline m!m

As far as I know, your second link is from an earlier version of BP which used custom shaders to achieve that high reflective metal look. The newest version of the engine uses a different way of rendering the surface of ships so those shaders will not work anymore.

So, to answer your original question: No, it is not possible to make the game look like the video anymore without redoing the textures of the ships BP uses.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Of course it is possible... the older builds as well the older Blueplanet2 packages are still available on the web ;)
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And you really, REALLY should not use them. For one, I am pretty sure that BP as currently released won't work with them.

Also, just for the record, this is what BP actually looks like these days, running on current builds and with a little tbl file that reenables glowpoint lighting:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:22:10 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I wonder why mine looks Different
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/233297661

it doesn't have  some of the effects, but i am now using the 2014 vp's  and the 3.8 fs

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I wonder why mine looks Different

Several reasons.

1: I am using a nightly build. We've made a few subtle lighting changes in those
2: I am using custom lighting settings. The following commandline parameters enable them:
Code: [Select]
-ambient_factor 35 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5 (you should play around with these values to find ones you like)
3: I am using the -no_emissive_light commandline parameter
4: I am using the following custom table to enable glowpoints to cast light:
Code: [Select]
#Ship Classes

$Name: GTF Aurora
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "red_glow_10:1,2" )

$Name: GTF Atalanta
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ("blue_glow4_small_40:1" )

$Name: GTF Nyx
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "blue_glow4_small_30:1" "red_glow_20:2" "green_glow_20:3" )

$Name: GTF Draco
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "blue_glow4_small_20:1" "red_glow_20:2" "green_glow_20:3" "red_glow_20:4" )

$Name: GTB Rhea
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "red_glow_20:1" "green_glow_20:2" "yellow_glow_30:3" )

$Name: GTF Seminole
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "red_glow_15:1,2" "yellow_glow_15:3" "blue_glow4_small_15:4" )

$Name: GTF Cherokee
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "green_glow_15:1" "red_glow_15:2,4,5" "blue_glow4_small_15:3" )

$Name: GTB Yurok
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "red_glow_20:1-3,7" "blue_glow4_small_15:4" "green_glow_15:5" "white_glow:6" )

$Name: GTB Navajo
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "green_glow_15:1,3,5" "blue_glow4_small_15:2" "red_glow_15:4,6" )

$Name: GTD Carthage
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "white_glow_20:1-4" "red_glow_20:5-7" "yellow_glow_30:8" "blue_glow4_small_40:9-22" )

$Name: GTI Asteria
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "yellow_glow_40:1" "white_glow_20:2,3" )

$Name: GTCv Chimera
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "teal_glow_20:1" "blue_glow4_small_30:2" "red_glow_20:3,4" )

$Name: GTCv Bellerophon
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "teal_glow_20:1,2" "blue_glow4_small_30:3" "red_glow_20:4,5" )

$Name: GTCv Diomedes
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "blue_glow4_small_40:1" "red_glow_40:2" "teal_glow_30:3,4" "white_glow_nopoint:5" )

$Name: Orion Refit
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "white_glow_15:1-4" "red_glow_30:5-7" "yellow_glow_30:8" "blue_glow4_small_30:9-22" )

$Name: UEF Uhlan
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "teal_glow_20:1" "red_glow_20:2,3" "green_glow_20:4" )

$Name: UEF Kentauroi
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "green_glow_20:1,5,6" "red_glow_20:2-4" )

$Name:                          UEF Uriel
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "teal_glow_10:1" "red_glow:2,3" "white_glow_10:4" "red_glow_10:5" "green_glow_10:6")

$Name: UEF Izra'il
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "green_glow_20:1" "red_glow_20:2-4" )

$Name: UEB Vajradhara
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "green_glow_20:1" "red_glow_20:2-6" )

$Name: UEFg Karuna
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "red_glow_20:1-3" "red_glow_10:7,9" "yellow_glow_20:4" "blue_glow4_small_10:5,6,10-15" "green_glow:8" "engine_uef:16-19")

$Name: UEFg Narayana
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "blue_glow4_small_30:1,2,9-12" "red_glow_15:3,5-7" "yellow_glow_10:4,13-16" "green_glow_15:8" "engine_uef:17-19" )

$Name: UEFg Narayana#Prefit
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "blue_glow4_small_20:1,2,8-11,16-27" "red_glow_15:3,5,6" "yellow_glow_10:4,12-15" "green_glow_15:7" "engine_uef:28-30" )

$Name: UED Solaris
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "red_glow:1,2" "blue_glow4_small:3,4,6-25" "green_glow:5,26-40,42" "yellow_glow:43,44" "engine_uef:45-47")

$Name: UEFg Karuna#Player
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "red_glow_20:1-3" "red_glow_10:7,9" "yellow_glow_20:4" "blue_glow4_small_10:5,6,10-15" "green_glow:8" "engine_uef:16-19")

$Name: UED Solaris#Toutatis
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "red_glow:1,2,35" "blue_glow4_small:3,4,6-25" "green_glow:5,26-34,26" "yellow_glow:37" "engine_uef:38-40")

$Name: UEC Sanctus
    +nocreate
$Glowpoint overrides: ( "yellow_glow_10:1,5-8" "red_glow:2,3,9-11" "blue_glow4_small_20:4" "green_glow:12" )
#End
Save this file as "bp-glowpoint-shp.tbm" in <FS2 directory>\Blue Planet Complete\data\tables

ah okay ill give that a shot, Yeah I'm using the latest Nightly as well
Thank you for the help I greatly appreciate it

Hey "The E" what are you using in "Current command line" And "Custom Command line"  your video seems rather smooth I think I have something running that's bogging down my Freespace open. I have more than enough graphical mussel but it seems to produce low frames.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've posted the relevant parts of my custom commandline under point 2 above. The only non-custom commandline parameter I'm using that's relevant to the overall look is -no_emissive_light, which is listed in the launcher under Graphics as "Disable emissive light from ships".

I would also recommend disabling both "Framebuffer shockwaves" and "Framebuffer Thrusters"; those are rather expensive effects.

As for performance: I am running FSO at 3440x1440 on a GTX 1070.

Ah  thank you, yes I shall disable "Framebuffer shockwaves" and "Framebuffer Thrusters"

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
"More than enough graphical muscle" is also a rather vague assessment, especially when you're running at 4k.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.