Author Topic: Official new people thread!  (Read 230050 times)

Re: Official new people thread!
I am officially new and trying to untangle the web of insanity I need to get Freespace Port working so I can play the Great War campaign.  Having capped satellite internet is not helping.  I get a lot of errors when trying to run it now and I'm guessing that I still need the mediavps (which I find odd since FSPort appears to come with 3.6.12). 

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:welcome:

Post in the FreeSpace Port forum and we'll try to help you out.  If you can wait a few days, we should be releasing the next version of the Port in the very near future.

Post in the FreeSpace Port forum and we'll try to help you out.  If you can wait a few days, we should be releasing the next version of the Port in the very near future.

Really? Where is the discussion of a new port? I haven't heard anything about it, what's new in it? I got my dad to start replaying the FS universe, should he wait for the release?  :o

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's a new version, not a completely new port.  It will fix a lot of bugs in the current version and add a few small new features.

If you're impatient to play, I wouldn't suggest waiting.  The new version of the Port will save you a bit of grief, but the mod install process for FS2 is already pretty grief-free when compared to some other popular games.

Thanks Goober! Wow never thought of it like that. Freespace forever!  :yes:

Offline bcKq

• yeah
Hello, I love Freespace.
nope
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:08:33 am by bcKq »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
PLEASE GOD NO

We already have the General Discussion board for that, as well as the forum IRC channels (look for the links at the top of your page) :)

Offline Nyarly

• Generic basement-dweller
Hello, good people of the HLP forums!  I actually registered on this site a little over seven years ago, but I decided to make things official since I have decided to hang out here more.  Getting involved in the FS modding community has been a goal of mine for ages, so  I thought I might as well get into now that my college career is now winding down.
Do not taunt Magic Boulder.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
And as you have officially decided to recind from the rest of your life, we recognize you as one of our kind and welcome you among the ranks of HLP.

Salute.

el hombre vicio...

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hi everyone. I've already made a few posts but I thought I'd better post in here for legal reasons.

I'm shifting over from the dead/dying Freelancer scene to here. I've already played FS1port, FS2, WC Saga, BtRL, Diaspora, Blue Planet (many many times) and I'm thinking of learning FRED and all the tricks and trades so I can create some stuff.

A lot of thanks go out to Mobius and the admins for helping me through my registration woes.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Well, it looks like this is the place for 1st posts, sooo,
Hello Everyone!

I bought FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2 off GOG earlier this year after my Descent-playing friends talked me into it. Man, am I glad I listened! I recently finished FS2 after beating all three campaigns in chronological order- in Retail. At that point, FSO's lure got to be too much. A few weeks ago, I downloaded it, read almost everything on the wiki, and I'm now trying to play through Silent Threat Reborn AND Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius at the same time. (Just beat Forced Entry today :)

Anyway, it felt wrong to be enjoying HLP's work without joining! My attempts at FRED so far have made Secrets Revealed look like Forced Entry, so I can't help much with design YET, but I'll gladly contribute new-player help, reviews, Wiki information, or other less-technical HLP things.

Apart from that... I'm a keyboarder (I have a joystick, but I can aim better with the arrow keys), I generally play missions I don't know on easy and missions I know well on medium, and heavy fighters are my forte (I like interceptors too)

Now, to find out if the Lucifer's shields can stop welcome beams... yes, I read this forum before posting  :eek2:
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Apart from that... I'm a keyboarder (I have a joystick, but I can aim better with the arrow keys), I generally play missions I don't know on easy and missions I know well on medium, and heavy fighters are my forte (I like interceptors too)

See this is somewhat interesting, for most of my time playing FS2 my preference was keyboard only.
I fared quite well on it, but since new campaigns started coming out featuring enhanced AI with crazy maneuvers, twists and agile responses I've found that keyboard isn't enough for me right now (or maybe I'm starting to loose it because of lack of practice).

That said, mouse just sucks on FS as well. Of course all of this is just a personal impression, do what you must with it.

Anyway, welcome to HLP both of you InsaneBaron, Hobbie, and here's your beam salute:

el hombre vicio...

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2

See this is somewhat interesting, for most of my time playing FS2 my preference was keyboard only.
I fared quite well on it, but since new campaigns started coming out featuring enhanced AI with crazy maneuvers, twists and agile responses I've found that keyboard isn't enough for me right now (or maybe I'm starting to loose it because of lack of practice).

That said, mouse just sucks on FS as well. Of course all of this is just a personal impression, do what you must with it.

Anyway, welcome to HLP both of you InsaneBaron, Hobbie, and here's your beam salute:

Well, it would seem I'm not such a newbie for using the keyboard after all. I agree, mouse kinda doesn't work. I'm not sure if my joystick is bad, if I'm bad at using a joystick, if all joysticks are bad for precise aiming, or all of the above, but while I can dodge well with the stick I can't get my guns pointed at anything smaller than a cruiser and I can't get aspect lock period. Be that as it may, playing keyboard never seemed to hurt me in Descent, FreeSpace, or anything except Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Anyway, thanks!
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Sp1d3r

Helloooooooooo Persons, people, pilots, places and things.
I've been stalking these forums for a while, and decided It's time to make my presence known by popping in and say Hello to all!.
I've been playing Freespace2 since the original release and then stopped for a few years, started playing again when I heard about FS2_Open, played for a year, then stopped again. Last night I finally got to download all of the awesomeness of FS2 again, and really enjoying it all over again.
I'm just having a bit of trouble deciding which mods and/or campaigns to play next! (Busy with Diaspora: Shattered Armistice at the moment) And then I don't know which one to get after that. Any recommendations? :)

Fly safe peeps! :pimp:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Helloooooooooo Persons, people, pilots, places and things.
I've been stalking these forums for a while, and decided It's time to make my presence known by popping in and say Hello to all!.
I've been playing Freespace2 since the original release and then stopped for a few years, started playing again when I heard about FS2_Open, played for a year, then stopped again. Last night I finally got to download all of the awesomeness of FS2 again, and really enjoying it all over again.
I'm just having a bit of trouble deciding which mods and/or campaigns to play next! (Busy with Diaspora: Shattered Armistice at the moment) And then I don't know which one to get after that. Any recommendations? :)

Fly safe peeps! :pimp:

This is the best guide, by the best guy

Hello.

I'm new.
This is a new people thread.
I am in the right place then!

Just had first flight. Was very fun.

Thanks.

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
:welcomesilver:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Heihaku

Hai,

Was a lurker until I became an idiot that forgot about graphic drivers.

Non-FS2 things - does anyone here play MBAACC, osu, or IAMP?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
O hai!

:welcome:

Non-FS2 things - does anyone here play MBAACC, osu, or IAMP?
no u