Author Topic: 3.6.10 Media VPs Discussion Thread  (Read 303883 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: RELEASE: 3.6.10 Media VPs
And where's my Athena? :beamz:
Isn't the HTL Athena in the FSPort 3.1 MediaVPs? Unless it's not YOUR Athena.  :nervous:
There is one but it doesn't have a canopy. :lol:

Which is completely my fault..a product of a missing texture during conversion  :o
I could graft some extra greebling on it while fixing hte canopy.

However, it will have to wait until I'm in the FS vibe again. Right now I have been striken with eh Wesnoth modding vibe. ;7
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Thanks for the help.I got the nightly build to were it needs to be. The only problem it shows up as a Fred2 exe. Ive downloaded three times and get the same thing every time?

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
FRED2.exe is the retail version of FRED. In the nightly build you downloaded you should have received the following files:

fred2_open_3_6_10d-20081217_r5008.exe
fred2_open_3_6_10r-20081217_r5008.exe
fs2_open_3_6_10d-20081217_r5008.exe
fs2_open_3_6_10r-20081217_r5008.exe

Now in the launcher you want to be running the last file there.
Ignore FRED2.exe, you won't be using it unless you dont wanna use freespace open anymore.

EDIT: Have a look at this picture to see what you need to be doing.
To see the whole picture open it in a new tab or window by right clicking the picture and selecting"open in new tab" or "open in new window"
Whether you have tabs or not depends on what version of IE/Firefox you use. Get firefox if you dont have it....it pwns

[attachment stolen by Slimey Goober]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:48:45 pm by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Thanks Grimper. I seem to only have the one exe.I used extract now to extract the file.Should I use something else?

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Are you using windows? Not linux, mac etc.
I think you might be doing something wrong when extracting it. Like only extracting one file not all of them. Tell me what program you are using to extract the files as well.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:48:07 pm by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

I just found the extract tool in Free Download Manager.I didnt know it was even there.Ive only had it for three days.I have the four exe files.Thanks again.   Jim

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Which is completely my fault..a product of a missing texture during conversion  :o
I could graft some extra greebling on it while fixing hte canopy.

However, it will have to wait until I'm in the FS vibe again. Right now I have been striken with eh Wesnoth modding vibe. ;7

Looks like a number of people here know The Battle for Wesnoth... :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline sfried

I'm pretty sure I've seen another thread like this, but I'm not sure if it's been reported to Mantis yet (although somebody already has):

Sathanas beam cannons are off. Using Revision 5009.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:21:11 pm by sfried »

Offline eliex

There's a fix for it . . . stick the contents of this folder into your /mediavps/data/effects folder and the beams should look fine.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 05:12:59 pm by eliex »

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Well for some reason, I never had the beams appear like that despite so many people having that problem. Maybe it is an issue with their hardware.

It was established long ago that the issue is associated with certain ATI hardware :doubt:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Well hell, I'm fortunate to not be that guy then for once. :nod:

Well, it works.Its way better than my 3_6_9 dvd. The Freespace SPC team wins the internets. :yes:  Playing this was like watching "Star Wars" for the second time.

The only downside is I have now found a reason to upgrade my desktop.  :doubt: :nod: :nod:And the beam effects are the best yet.  Jim

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I said it affects certain ATI hardware...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It can get boring unless it is interesting stuff.

Thank you Captain Obvious.  :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I think it's pretty funny how you just zinged yourself there.

Offline sfried

It was established long ago that the issue is associated with certain ATI hardware :doubt:
But I have an nVidia GeForce Go 5200 32MB.

There's a fix for it . . . stick the contents of this folder into your /mediavps/data/effects folder and the beams should look fine.

What fol...oh there. Thanks.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That probably is old enough that it has the same problem the ATI hardware does.  The problem was with DDS files with one component of their resolution being incredibly small, like 4xsomething.  Nvidia probably just fixed it sooner, which is why you have go all the way back to a FX 5200 to see it.  And a Go at that.  I don't even know if that's like a regular 5200, cause mine has 256MB of ram.  How do the MediaVPs run on that hardware anyway?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline sfried

That probably is old enough that it has the same problem the ATI hardware does.  The problem was with DDS files with one component of their resolution being incredibly small, like 4xsomething.  Nvidia probably just fixed it sooner, which is why you have go all the way back to a FX 5200 to see it.  And a Go at that.  I don't even know if that's like a regular 5200, cause mine has 256MB of ram.  How do the MediaVPs run on that hardware anyway?
They run pretty rock solid. I'm able to run games like Half-Life 2 at 30fps with low shader settings, and I only have 32MB in this built-in card. The Media VPs run around the 50-60 mark with the occassional dip to 30-40. As I've said earlier, the normal maps don't show up, but the specular highlights and everything else still make it very good to look at.

I'm not so sure about the videos, since 3.6.9 never seemed run into the scaling problems at all.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I didn't say it was bad.  I just said it probably has the same problem that older ATI hardware has.  Both companies probably ran into the problem at some point or another and coded in fixes or fixed it in hardware, but nvidia probably just got to it sooner.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Oh, but this is a forum don't you know? People can say as they like here about's, regardless of if it actually contributes anything.

Just saying.

And that post was old enough in the grand scheme of things that it possibly did not even warrant a response.

So let's try and keep this in relation to the 3.6.10 vp's.

Which reminds me, other than the already documented (albiet now hard to find posts) issues, has any one else noticed anything else that needs to be in the patch?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys