Author Topic: MediaVP 3.6.7 RELEASE thread  (Read 24130 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
-C

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
MediaVP 3.6.7 RELEASE thread
YAY!! w00tage!!! Wohoo!!!

And general happiness!!
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline starfox

Finally....
I'm going to test it right away and report back !
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

I don't know how big the SCP-Community exactly is, but wouldn't it be worth to put up an torrent?

Offline starfox

Personally I would find torrents little to no help. Since only two files (mv_effects and mv_textures) are considerably larger than the rest. But is somebody would be willing to put Torrent somewhere, that would be nice to those that need it....

I may be mistaken here, but didn't TBP use torrents to download releases n'stuff ?
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
A torrent of zPack (i.e all other VP files) on the other hand wouldn't carry that objection.

As for TBP they either shut down or will shortly shut down their server.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

If someone knows how to set up a tracker, I'll try and seed when my PC is on.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline redmenace

You forgot the highpoly hornet, and other weapons.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I seem to missing all other than LOD 1 from high poly herc. Should there be other LODs?

BTW how does the the mv_detailmodels.vp differ from this one? Other that it has fully LODded herc.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 10:07:22 am by 2625 »
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline redmenace

High Poly Mara is also missing.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Wanderer
BTW how does the the mv_detailmodels.vp differ from this one? Other that it has fully LODded herc.

It's completely unofficial.

If anything goes wrong with your install make sure you remove it and try again before posting cause that's exactly what you'll be told to do.
 That said it seems perfectly fine and I've been using it myself.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CaptJosh

Does the models vp include the fancy Erinyes model with the gold shaded glass on the cockpit?
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline redmenace

The gold glass textures are also missing. and all the glow points for the fighters. Is anyone else seeing this? I think all of the animated glowmaps as well.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline CaptJosh

I'm still downloading. That's why I asked in advance.
CaptJosh

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Aren't the animated glow maps in adveffects?

Offline redmenace

Yah they are, I though I have downloaded it already. I wonder if the glow points and glass textures are there.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline CaptJosh

So far so good. Checking out the ships in the tech room without having any of the extras I downloaded around except in archives in case I needed them. Haven't seen the Erinyes yet, but I'm probably not far enough along with this pilot to have it listed.
CaptJosh

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Go to mainhall and press F3 (if you are using recent builds)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Looks good to me for the most part. Love the new nebula poofs and warp effect. I have a couple of issues/suggestions though:
  • The suns all look too small ingame; they are like half their normal size. This probably has to do with how much space the actual sun takes up inside the entire sun image.
  • The purple sun has a stray turquoise pixel in the middle of it. I can't believe I actually noticed this; I must be more anal retentive than I thought.
  • The new beam glows look fantastic, but they should be given the same filenames as the original ones to maintain maximum compatibility with the existing mods/tables out there. There is no reason to have different filenames for those.
  • The Terran thrusterglows and pretty much all the thrusters appear to be an older set that was updated a while ago. We used to have a better looking set in one of the previous vp's. I still have it lying around.
  • For the three animated beamglows, you might want to put them in adveffects rather than effects. At 11mb a piece, they might make video cards with 64mb or less memory struggle when used with all the other effects.
  • Does anyone else think the new fs2_btl_a01 soundtrack sounds rather goofy compared to the original? There are these weird trumpet-like noises in it that didn't exist in the original one.
  • I think the new maxim and circe effects looks much worse than the originals. The projectiles look really small compared to how they used to (the maxim in particular was easily the coolest looking weapon in the original game, but it looks very wimpy now). This has been in the vp's for a while, but I don't think anyone has brought it up. Anyway, this isn't really a bug, just a matter of personal preference.
Also, I tried out sm3-07 (Dunkerque) noticed quite a bit of stuttering and hard disk activity ingame with all the media vps in place, which wasn't an issue with the last set of vps. I'm guessing that it's frequently running out of video memory and is swapping to the HD. I have 256mb on a 6800 GT and another 256mb in the AGP aperture, so this may be something that needs to be addressed, as good 512mb gaming video cards don't really exist at the moment.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Glass should be in there. It's not in my FS2 directory and I could see the glass. It's technically goldglass anyways.

Torrents are fine if someone can either tell me how to setup a download or do it for me.

Rest of the stuff I'll get to later.
-C