Author Topic: Reverse thrust not working! (Update: maybe it is, maybe I forgot how it works)  (Read 1349 times)

Reverse thrust not working! (Update: maybe it is, maybe I forgot how it works)
I just noticed that Reverse Thrust isn't working for me. It doesn't matter what I bind it to, it doesn't function (nothing happens when I press it). Can you help?

Edit: It seems that I might be confusing this with a different game - perhaps Descent II? I'm not sure. Regardless, I pressed my Reverse Thrust button when I was matching my speed, and lo and behold it worked. So, I must be thinking of a different game regarding the behavior I was expecting.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:37:16 am by TwoCables »
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Reverse thrust not working! (Update: maybe it is, maybe I forgot how it works)
:welcome:

By default, the ships in FS don't have true "reverse thrust" like in Descent, just the ability to decrease or increase the throttle.  It's possible to enable that behavior by editing table files, though, and a number of mods make use of it!

Re: Reverse thrust not working! (Update: maybe it is, maybe I forgot how it works)
:welcome:
Thank you! :)

By default, the ships in FS don't have true "reverse thrust" like in Descent, just the ability to decrease or increase the throttle.  It's possible to enable that behavior by editing table files, though, and a number of mods make use of it!

Oh interesting. Can you show me where I can learn how and what to do in order to make this happen? To be honest, I don't know what table files are or how to edit them, nor do I know what changes would need to be made.

Thanks again, Mongoose!

Table files are just text files with ships, weapons, and much more data. You can find each table file description on the wiki.
You need to edit ships.tbl or better yet make a xxx-shp.tbm file with the following lines:
$Name: the name of the entry you want to modify
+nocreate (if you just modify an existing entry)
$Rear Velocity: the reverse speed you want

Using a vp editor you can find the retail ships.tbl in root-fs2.vp, also note that some mods have their own ships.tbl file and other like mediavps make use of .tbm files to just overwrite what they want to change

Edit: if you want these changes you need to put the .tbm file in data\tables in the mod you want to change or better create your own mod folder with a mod.ini that reference the mod you're changing and add the data/tables folder inside this one!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:32:17 am by krevett62 »

Table files are just text files with ships, weapons, and much more data. You can find each table file description on the wiki.
You need to edit ships.tbl or better yet make a xxx-shp.tbm file with the following lines:
$Name: the name of the entry you want to modify
+nocreate (if you just modify an existing entry)
$Rear Velocity: the reverse speed you want

Using a vp editor you can find the retail ships.tbl in root-fs2.vp, also note that some mods have their own ships.tbl file and other like mediavps make use of .tbm files to just overwrite what they want to change

Edit: if you want these changes you need to put the .tbm file in data\tables in the mod you want to change or better create your own mod folder with a mod.ini that reference the mod you're changing and add the data/tables folder inside this one!

Oh, I forgot to edit and then post a new reply in this thread. This is like riding a bike, and so I have since realized that making this change that I'm asking about would be a bad idea for me because I finally remembered that I use 'Z' to come to a complete stop when I would rather not do so by pressing Backspace (I hold it down until I'm ready to move again). This way, I can keep Auto Speed [Matching] or the full throttle setting enabled, whichever I'm currently using. So, the problem would be that I'd have to unlearn that habit and make a new one, and I spent more than a couple of years doing it that way. lol

Thank you for your time though. I have a feeling that what you taught me here will be very helpful to me in the future, perhaps for something completely unrelated to what I asked about in this thread.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:58:43 am by TwoCables »