Author Topic: Zathras 2.3 Alpha for development  (Read 13093 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Zathras 2.3 Alpha for development
Try this version of the Sekhmet.  It should work around the null vec3d issue.   
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

Try this version of the Sekhmet.  It should work around the null vec3d issue.

Sorry, but it didn't. Unless I need to do more than just put it into the models folder...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Strange it fixes it on my end.  You put in in Zathras\data\models correct?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Slasher

Do any of you get a blank entry for the tech room description of the EA Skylark transport?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Just checked and yes it's blank.  There is on in the table so no idea why it's not showing.  I'll have to investigate further.

Offline Slasher

Yeah, that stumped me too.  I checked the old 3.4 Core ships.tbl and the one in Zathras and the Skylark entry looks correctly formatted in both.  :confused:

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Found it.  Missing $end_multi_text for the +description line.  Fixed on my end and will be in the next update.

Offline wesp5

Strange it fixes it on my end.  You put in in Zathras\data\models correct?

No, I placed it in the main models folder, I moved it into Zathras and now the issue is solved :)! So I guess this will make it into the next Zathras?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I finished another version of the Sekhmet last night that will be in the next Zathras.  It has the same fix as well as some others. 

So can you make a list of other missions where the null vec3d still happens. 

Offline wesp5

So can you make a list of other missions where the null vec3d still happens.

The only other mission where I encountered this error yet, having played all of MAGs missions, Dark Children and Guardian of light, is the last mission of the latter (GOL_4_Un_Situation.fs2), in which it happens once the Vorlon dreadnaught blows an Omega destroyer to pieces. But I haven't found any reason for this yet...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
OK is that from GOLdemo2.vp?  If not can you link the mission. 

Offline wesp5

OK is that from GOLdemo2.vp?

Exactly. It's sad Darkmaster never continued this campaign! BTW, do you think it would be possible to finish the Earth Minbari war demo campaign for the next DVD release or something? One thing that could easily be done would be to add MAGs missions that play during that time, namely Sheridan blowing up the Dark Star, and the Battle of the line. He would certainly allow them to be used, and both would kind of complete this campaign :)!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
EMW demo is finished.  It's a demo.  If you want to make a full EMW campaign you are talking a lot of work but have at it.  As far as integrating MAGs missions that is something you would need to ask him about.  You would probably still need new voice actors unless you can find the old ones to do the other missions. 

Offline wesp5

EMW demo is finished.

To me a demo is never finished. It's part of an upcoming final product, so both the EMW demo and the GOL demo are basically just mementos that the interest in TBP died before they could be completed :(. Now, while some revival of the space combat genre is visible, not only with Diaspora, but with several Kickstarters as well, it may be time to finish them!

If you want to make a full EMW campaign you are talking a lot of work but have at it.

I'm not good enough for something like this, all I can do is remove obvious mission bugs with a text editor ;).

As far as integrating MAGs missions that is something you would need to ask him about.

I'm pretty sure he would allow this, after all he allowed me to patch up his missions too :)!

You would probably still need new voice actors unless you can find the old ones to do the other missions.

MAGs missions only use sounds from the show itself, so this shouldn't be necessary. I'm only thinking, you put so much work into Zathras and if a new version of TBP should be released as TBP Zathras Edition 3.5 or DVD 2.0 or whatever, it would make a better impression to get rid of the demo label of that campaign! After all, there are short and long campaigns and I don't think Diaspora's campaign was much longer either ;)!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I think you are taking the word demo in EMW demo wrong.  It's not a demo for an upcomming campaign like GOLdemo is it's a demo of what TBP itself can do set in the EMW.  It does what it's supposed to do. 

Offline wesp5

It's a demo of what TBP itself can do set in the EMW.

Are you sure? I mean, a full campaign was never planned? It surely can be misunderstood the way I did. Maybe renaming it into mini-campaign or something would fix that, because I think the word 'demo' in the game world right now is used to mean what I thought it would mean. After all the Raider Wars campaign isn't labeled as a 'demo' in the same context, no?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Pretty sure.  EMW and RW were released as finished.  EACW, BHX and possibly something called ITF were not finished. 

Offline Slasher

I know from internal forums discussion back in late 2001 there was some very brief talk of expanding the EMW campaign, but mission design focus quickly shifted to Release 2 and campaigns that took place ~2261 and later. 

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I haven't confirmed it yet but I'm guessing that the null vec3d errors in GOL_4_Un_Situation.fs2 are caused by attempting to launch 6 fighters from ships with only 4 bay paths.  This results in 2 ships being in the exact same position.  I've run into this before in multiplayer and already have a ticket on it.  If you want to test it try either reducing those wings to 4 ships or slitting them into 2 wings of 3 with a couple of second delay between them. 

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm not good enough for something like this, all I can do is remove obvious mission bugs with a text editor ;).

Sounds like all you need to do is actually learn how to FRED. It's a lot easier to learn than most people think. Mastering it takes ages but even a few weeks of practice can get you putting out fairly solid missions if you have the talent.

And it's not like you wouldn't have experienced FREDders around to help you out if you got stuck. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]