Author Topic: *SPOILER THREAD* Star Wars: The Last Jedi  (Read 105098 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: *SPOILER THREAD* Star Wars: The Last Jedi
If the best defence the movie can claim is "it's jokes aren't as bad as those in TPM", then it's probably not in a good place. :P And at least TPM largely kept the "jokey" behaviour confined to Jar Jar. Here they spread it out, and forced it onto characters who didn't need it, and in scenes it really spoiled.

Besides, it's about volume. I may be off on the specifics with dozens (I only saw the movie once and aren't particularly keen for a re watch in the short term) but my impression on walking out was that there were lots and lots of examples of bad jokes (or foolish/unbelievable behaviour played as jokes) that fell flat. If it turns out there were only 10 or 15 of them instead of 24, my opinion and impressions won't change.

Ultimately, this probably isn't a debate that can be resolved over text on a forum. Film is subjective. People like and dislike different things for all sorts of different reasons (for example, I actually harbour a fair bit of goodwill for Phantom Menace, largely because I first saw it at exactly the right age so that I have maximum nostalgia for it, plus I think that visually and musically it's still spectacular 20 years later).

Maybe minds will be changed over time: I think Empire was largely considered a competent sequel at the time of it's release, rather than the rarefied sci-fi masterpiece people think of it as now. Maybe in the context of episode 9 some of Last Jedi will be improved and fans will overlook some of the elements that are currently disliked. Maybe things like hyperspace ramming will be folded into Star Wars the way force lightning and other things introduced by later movies have been. Or maybe, on the other hand, over time it'll fade into insignificance - a weird little quirk of history where Star Wars tried to be too much of a comedy before righting the ship and moving on. Who knows? Whatever happens, I doubt that I'm going to convince anyone who enjoyed TLJ that they were wrong for enjoying it, and I know nobody is going to be able to change the way I felt walking out of the theatre at 3AM after watching it.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
"Comedy" is the last thing I'd describe TLJ as.  See, this is the sort of thing where I feel like people are watching two completely-different films.  I just cannot grok some of the reactions I've read.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
"Comedy" is the last thing I'd describe TLJ as.  See, this is the sort of thing where I feel like people are watching two completely-different films.  I just cannot grok some of the reactions I've read.

If anything it's more like a Shakespeare tragedy where you can get both a monologue about suicide and a scene with puns about the C-word.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The funny thing about it being subjective is how people can complain about Luke's character not fitting his character arc, yet no one seems to care that the previous film took a massive **** on Han's. Smuggler to hero to rebel to rebel general to right back to where he ****ing started with the added bonus of having dumped Leia.

I don't think I've once heard how having Han leave Leia was a betrayal of their childhood. Even though for most people that was one of their biggest childhood romance stories. Luke becoming an embittered old man for reasons which are explained in the film, that's somehow worse.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:54:45 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I dunno.. maybe it's me, but Luke's reasons felt lazy. (still the least of TLJ's problems) Han leaving Leia and going back to his old life made a lot of sense to me. Couples who lose a kid often lose their relationship. I know Kylo didn't die, but they sure seemed to deal with him as if he was almost nearly gone. That whole thing never bothered me. Maybe it's because the characters had better written scenes and dialog to get the emotions across. Luke's whole thing felt like Rian just needed to luke to be a failure because the plot needed him to. JJ is a better writer and director than Rian (IMO by far) so I'm not really surprised.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Okay. You're allowed to think that, but I think you're misguided.

To me, the title is a minor element compared with the narrative structure of the films, both as individual elements and combined into a series. Ask yourself the question: Would your opinion be so radically changed if they'd just called it Star Wars 7, instead of episode 7? Or just Star Wars: The Force Awakens? Everything else stays the same, just those two words are removed, and your opinion completely changes?

No, the only way I would enjoy TFA is if it had a different writer&director.  JJ Abrams is a terrible story-teller, only cares about getting to the next scene and doesn't give two ****s about how we get there.  All he does is pander to fans by liberally stealing old stories and making them more "super". 

I fully expect to be disappointed by Episode IX as well since he'll be back in the chair.

PS - Also I suspect that a good chunk of his ideas came directly from the Red Letter Media reviews.  He pandered to fans so hard even the RLM guy got duped. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:38:19 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, Abrams is not remotely a good storyteller.  Did no one else sit through a significant chunk of Lost?

Offline Luis Dias

I love how EC just pours videos after videos showing that the resistance isn't as stupid as the fandom rages them to be.

Incidentally, one question is why do people have a problem with Holdo not telling Poe her plan, but they don't have a problem with Han saying he'll get past the shield generator without saying how, and with Finn saying he can deal with the shield generator without saying how.   Like the entire plan to destroy the base rests on that Shield Generator getting removed and everyone's like "yeah, I trust him. Haven't seen him for years, and there's only like 3 of them and the base is a whole planet, but yeah- they said they can get it done so let's launch the attack"

One of those situations and those plans resembles a real military, the other does not.  Most fans it seems would get wrong which is which.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 11:17:54 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Snarks

Incidentally, one question is why do people have a problem with Holdo not telling Poe her plan, but they don't have a problem with Han saying he'll get past the shield generator without saying how, and with Finn saying he can deal with the shield generator without saying how.   Like the entire plan to destroy the base rests on that Shield Generator getting removed and everyone's like "yeah, I trust him. Haven't seen him for years, and there's only like 3 of them and the base is a whole planet, but yeah- they said they can get it done so let's launch the attack"

One of those situations and those plans resembles a real military, the other does not.  Most fans it seems would get wrong which is which.

It's not a matter of strategy but of morale. I'm going to quote one of my favorite scenes from Battlestar Galactica when Lee Adama gets promoted. This is following a disastrous order given by the newly promoted Commander Garner that lead to a lot of bad things happening.

Adama: In your opinion, off the record, what was Garner's flaw?
Apollo: He was used to working with machines. Command is about people.
Adama: Remember that, as you take command of "The Beast". Garner was my decision; his failures, my responsibility. Don't let me fail a second time. Congratulations, Commander.

It's important noting this last line. Even though the mistake was Garner's order, Adama held himself accountable for the actions of a subordinate under his command.

Being a leader isn't just about coming up with the best strategy. Just as important, if not arguably more so, is to know how to manage people. Holdo failed to spot the mutiny before it happened. Part of the Commanding Officer's responsibility is to ensure that their subordinates obey them, whether through trust or force.

By failing to tell anyone the plan, her subordinates felt they were doomed. What would have been the downside of her telling Poe the plan? She even had multiple opportunities to address the morale issue. And there isn't even the convenient "I don't have time to tell you. Just trust me" trope because they were literally sitting there with nothing to do.

I bring up Battlestar Galactica because Adama's command demonstrates where a conventional military structure breaks down. In both these cases, they are in extraordinary circumstances that requires violating the strict formalities of military structure. There are multiple times where Adama violates formal military conventions to address morale. Adama forgave people for disobeying orders. He even lied to his entire crew about knowing where Earth was because he understood having any plan, even if it's a fake plan, is better than nothing.

Holdo had a responsibility to demonstrate that she could be trusted and a subsequent role to understand the disposition of her subordinates. Not being one of the legends or iconic leaders surely made her job more difficult, but it doesn't change the fact that she failed to handle them. Arguably, you could even say it was Leia's fault for not introducing her properly as a contingency should she herself become incapacitated.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:20:36 am by Snarks »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Holdo had a responsibility to demonstrate that she could be trusted and a subsequent role to understand the disposition of her subordinates. Not being one of the legends or iconic leaders surely made her job more difficult, but it doesn't change the fact that she failed to handle them. Arguably, you could even say it was Leia's fault for not introducing her properly as a contingency should she herself become incapacitated.

She was the ranking officer. She was known to Poe by reputation already.
Her only failure was to underestimate the amount of bull**** Poe had in his head; She expected him to behave as an officer on a warship operating in combat conditions is supposed to and he failed spectacularly at it. Yes, she didn't explain her plans to him, but why should she? Poe, without his fighter and squadron, is dead weight; possibly useful cargo at best. She did explain her plans to the other ship captains and the transport pilots, aka the people who actually needed to know about them.

Sure, being a leader means making yourself understood and communicating your plans effectively. But that only goes so far; A fighter pilot without a fighter (who was just on the receiving end of an official reprimand due to his inability to follow orders, let's not forget) is less of a "need to convince" person than, say, a transport pilot who will be tasked with evacuating the ship and bringing its crew down to a safe base.

I keep coming back to this: You're taking Poe's side here, trying to excuse his behaviour by blaming Holdo for not making sure that Poe Dameron, Hero of the Republic, is kept informed at all times. Where is the condemnation for Poe deciding to do a mutiny? Why is it Holdo's responsibility to inform him of the things she's doing (in addition to all the other people she apparently briefed on her intentions), and not Poe's responsibility to get a clear picture of the situation before ****ing it all up (Incidentally, him learning to do that is his character arc for this movie!)?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Snarks

She was the ranking officer. She was known to Poe by reputation already.
Her only failure was to underestimate the amount of bull**** Poe had in his head; She expected him to behave as an officer on a warship operating in combat conditions is supposed to and he failed spectacularly at it. Yes, she didn't explain her plans to him, but why should she? Poe, without his fighter and squadron, is dead weight; possibly useful cargo at best. She did explain her plans to the other ship captains and the transport pilots, aka the people who actually needed to know about them.

Sure, being a leader means making yourself understood and communicating your plans effectively. But that only goes so far; A fighter pilot without a fighter (who was just on the receiving end of an official reprimand due to his inability to follow orders, let's not forget) is less of a "need to convince" person than, say, a transport pilot who will be tasked with evacuating the ship and bringing its crew down to a safe base.

I again come back to the BSG quote as the thesis of my argument. Command is about people. By treating Poe as being irrelevant, Holdo is treating him as a mechanical part. Yes, he doesn't have a fighter anymore. For most intents and purposes, he is irrelevant to the tactical situation. But he is still part of the overall crew and clearly has enough influence to pull off a mutiny.

I keep coming back to this: You're taking Poe's side here, trying to excuse his behaviour by blaming Holdo for not making sure that Poe Dameron, Hero of the Republic, is kept informed at all times. Where is the condemnation for Poe deciding to do a mutiny? Why is it Holdo's responsibility to inform him of the things she's doing (in addition to all the other people she apparently briefed on her intentions), and not Poe's responsibility to get a clear picture of the situation before ****ing it all up (Incidentally, him learning to do that is his character arc for this movie!)?

I never said Poe was in the right either. I specifically picked the BSG reference because Commander Garner made a bad tactical decision, and IIRC, disobeyed a direct order from Adama. Both Garner and Poe made rash decisions that resulted in tragic consequences, and their actions was the result of poor leadership on the part of their superiors. Adama picked a poor commander, and Holdo failed to either tell Poe her plan (even after he raised legitimate concerns) or to lock him up in the brig after multiple accounts of insubordination.

Why did Holdo not address a legitimate concern raised by one of her subordinates? Here's the abridged quote straight from the film.

Poe: Are you filling up the transports?
Poe: All of them?
Poe: We're abandoning ship? Is that...
Poe: That's what you got?
Poe: That's what you brought us to?
Poe: Coward.
Poe: Those transports ships are unarmed, unshielded.
Poe: We don't stand a chance.
Holdo: Get this man off my bridge.

Why Holdo couldn't just address this concern boggles my mind. To me, Holdo comes off as being prideful or too restrictive in her command style to break military protocols.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Why did Holdo not address a legitimate concern raised by one of her subordinates? Here's the abridged quote straight from the film.

Poe: Are you filling up the transports?
Poe: All of them?
Poe: We're abandoning ship? Is that...
Poe: That's what you got?
Poe: That's what you brought us to?
Poe: Coward.
Poe: Those transports ships are unarmed, unshielded.
Poe: We don't stand a chance.
Holdo: Get this man off my bridge.

Why Holdo couldn't just address this concern boggles my mind. To me, Holdo comes off as being prideful or too restrictive in her command style to break military protocols.

Holdo, again, is completely in the right. An officer enters her command bridge, takes a single look at a status display and launches into a tirade because he didn't take any time to think the situation through, consider the tactical and strategic situation, or the menu of tactical and strategic options available. Removing him from said Bridge is the correct course of action; Her mistake in this situation was being lenient on Dameron. She should've thrown him in the brig, honestly.

Poe did not "raise a legitimate concern". He barged into the situation, completely misunderstood it, and got personal and insulting with his commanding officer. In that situation, not listening to him and getting him out of there is the only course of action that makes sense if maintaining the chain of command is in any way important (which it definitely is).

TLJ, sometimes, is not very subtle in its allegories. The allegory here, of a competent woman in charge being undercut by a man just because the man was too arrogant and self-absorbed to think of any strategy besides the one he had in his head as viable, is pretty clear.

There are times where a commanding officer needs to address her crew's concerns, or even just a single officer's concerns. This was not one of those times, since while Poe's concerns were justified in his own mind, he never considered that he could have been wrong.

Command is about people, yes. And Poe needed to learn that lesson.

Offline Snarks

Her mistake in this situation was being lenient on Dameron. She should've thrown him in the brig, honestly.

...Holdo failed to either tell Poe her plan (even after he raised legitimate concerns) or to lock him up in the brig after multiple accounts of insubordination.

At least we agree on this much.

Holdo was not the right person for the circumstances. She didn't have the universal renown and respect that Leia held. She wasn't empathetic enough nor was she strict enough. Going back again to Battlestar Galactica, Adama was an extraordinary leader because he understood people and was willing to bend the rules when it was needed, thereby preventing a lot of terrible outcomes from happening. It's what makes him better than Colonel Tigh or Admiral Cain. Holdo might have been a capable tactician (assuming things like the hyperspace ram was a novel idea), but she was not the leader given the desperate situation at hand.

TLJ, sometimes, is not very subtle in its allegories. The allegory here, of a competent woman in charge being undercut by a man just because the man was too arrogant and self-absorbed to think of any strategy besides the one he had in his head as viable, is pretty clear.

The allegory is beyond obvious. There's nothing wrong with the allegory itself, but in this case, it feels tacked on and handled without any sense of tact or finesse by the film makers, especially how common this setup is played up in stories. Holdo could have been a man or a droid, and it wouldn't have done anything to change the way the character and plot was handled.

Poe's lesson comes at such an incredibly high price that he honestly should have just been sacked of his command. This is my problem with the subplot. Poe is supposed to learn a lesson, and the audience is supposed to be thinking: "Ah, I shouldn't have been supporting Poe. He was rash and got people killed!" Instead, I'm thinking to myself: "What a horrible tragedy. Poe is terrible. Holdo should have done something about it. If only Leia had the forethought to appoint a more capable leader if she were removed from command."

There are so many ways they could have done this in a more sensible manner. Holdo could have simply told Poe the plan, and he could disagree and run off to start the mutiny anyways. Holdo could have put him into the brig, and he broke out to start the mutiny. There could have been suspicion of a spy onboard that makes revealing the plan risky. Poe could have been the only person trying to usurp Holdo. Or even simply not having 2/3 of the resistance blown up because of Poe's decision.

It's not that people don't understand the idea or lesson being told. It's just handled in such a way that it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion where the director's intent was a safety video about trains, but everyone is too busy being preoccupied by the horrific crash in front of them. A lot of people claimed the casino subplot was hamfisted, but that was handled far better than the Poe/Holdo plot, which I wished was its own film.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 12:06:44 pm by Snarks »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Holdo was not the right person for the circumstances. She didn't have the universal renown and respect that Leia held. She wasn't empathetic enough nor was she strict enough. Going back again to Battlestar Galactica, Adama was an extraordinary leader because he understood people and was willing to bend the rules when it was needed, thereby preventing a lot of terrible outcomes from happening. It's what makes him better than Colonel Tigh or Admiral Cain. Holdo might have been a capable tactician (assuming things like the hyperspace ram was a novel idea), but she was not the leader given the desperate situation at hand.

Hang on, how do you know all this? Specifically the "universal renown" bit? Because the film does establish the fact that Poe has at least heard of her deeds but hasn't served under her yet; she is known by reputation by everyone in that scene (except of course, the audience).

This is the tricky bit about TLJ: The film puts you into that situation where you're inclined to side with Poe because he's the POV character and the one we already know, not because he's in the right. Everything you've seen of Holdo is colored by Poe's reactions to her, she is cast in a disfavourable light because the film pretends to show you the traditional narrative of a plucky hero who knows better than the person in command. You feel she's a bad leader because Poe thinks she's a bad leader, not because she actually shows poor leadership (She makes one mistake, yes, but one that is pretty understandable: After all, who would be stupid enough to do a mutiny while the ship is under fire?). Leia trusts Holdo. That should have been enough for Poe, why isn't it enough for you?

The allegory is beyond obvious. There's nothing wrong with the allegory itself, but in this case, it feels tacked on and handled without any sense of tact or finesse by the film makers, especially how common this setup is played up in stories. Holdo could have been a man or a droid, and it wouldn't have done anything to change the way the character and plot was handled.

I disagree. By making her a middle-aged woman with pink hair in a feminine dress, the film sets you up to react exactly as Poe does: Astonishment, then derision. She could've been Ackbar, yes. She could've been another character we know. But if she had been any of those, the entire arc ceases to work, because you lose the element where you're inclined to agree with Poe because of deeply ingrained stereotypes.

Poe's lesson comes at such an incredibly high price that he honestly should have just been sacked of his command.

He was, remember? After losing the bombers?

This is my problem with the subplot. Poe is supposed to learn a lesson, and the audience is supposed to be thinking: "Ah, I shouldn't have been supporting Poe. He was rash and got people killed!" Instead, I'm thinking to myself: "What a horrible tragedy. Poe is terrible. Holdo should have done something about it. If only Leia had the forethought to appoint a more capable leader if she were removed from command."

She did. You were just too absorbed in Poe's bull**** and your preconceptions of what Star Wars protagonists do to see her.

There are so many ways they could have done this in a more sensible manner. Holdo could have simply told Poe the plan, and he could disagree and run off to start the mutiny anyways. Holdo could have put him into the brig, and he broke out to start the mutiny. There could have been suspicion of a spy onboard that makes revealing the plan risky. Poe could have been the only person trying to usurp Holdo. Or even simply not having 2/3 of the resistance blown up because of Poe's decision.

Poe starting a mutiny because his ego is being threatened works just as well, IMHO.

It's not that people don't understand the idea or lesson being told. It's just handled in such a way that it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion where the director's intent was a safety video about trains, but everyone is too busy being preoccupied by the horrific crash in front of them. A lot of people claimed the casino subplot was hamfisted, but that was handled far better than the Poe/Holdo plot, which I wished was its own film.

Nope, gonna keep disagreeing on that.

Offline Snarks

Hang on, how do you know all this? Specifically the "universal renown" bit? Because the film does establish the fact that Poe has at least heard of her deeds but hasn't served under her yet; she is known by reputation by everyone in that scene (except of course, the audience).

This is the tricky bit about TLJ: The film puts you into that situation where you're inclined to side with Poe because he's the POV character and the one we already know, not because he's in the right. Everything you've seen of Holdo is colored by Poe's reactions to her, she is cast in a disfavourable light because the film pretends to show you the traditional narrative of a plucky hero who knows better than the person in command. You feel she's a bad leader because Poe thinks she's a bad leader, not because she actually shows poor leadership (She makes one mistake, yes, but one that is pretty understandable: After all, who would be stupid enough to do a mutiny while the ship is under fire?). Leia trusts Holdo. That should have been enough for Poe, why isn't it enough for you?

Three bits of info that supports this. 1) Holdo refers to Leia in her speech about having hope. This along with the other films establish Leia as a person of import and respect. If Holdo was as influential as Leia, then she didn't need to refer to Leia to supplement her authority because she should have already commanded it. 2) Poe was not the only person to mutiny against Holdo. So it's not just Poe who doesn't trust her, but all the other people who are part of the mutiny. 3) Leia is established as the head of the resistance group, not just as its top commanding officer but also as the figurehead for the overall resistance against the empire, probably thanks in part to her contributions in the original trilogy.

By default, I trusted Holdo, until she failed to contain Poe. Heck, I still assume she's a capable tactician even by the end of the film because I had no reason to assume otherwise. It was her handling of Poe that suggested to me that she was not a good leader for the situation at hand.

I disagree. By making her a middle-aged woman with pink hair in a feminine dress, the film sets you up to react exactly as Poe does: Astonishment, then derision. She could've been Ackbar, yes. She could've been another character we know. But if she had been any of those, the entire arc ceases to work, because you lose the element where you're inclined to agree with Poe because of deeply ingrained stereotypes.

Isn't this making an assumption in itself that everyone who watches the film holds these stereotypes implicitly? Stereotypes are a dime a dozen. Poe being a rash and hotshot pilot is in itself a similar sort of construct. If you don't like that kind of a personality type, then you would already be implicitly against Poe. The fact that I didn't agree with Poe (which keep in mind doesn't mean I have to agree with Holdo) might have some basis in his character archetype. As for the dress, I honestly didn't even think too much about her dress being a factor until it was brought up later. And even then, it could pass as somekind of write-off for the diverse space cultures.

If the intent was to make me side with Poe, then it failed to do so because I wasn't inclined to agree with him to begin with. I would raise the question of whether or not you sided with Poe initially because of implicit stereotypes and the film's point of view. My suspicion is that both you and I didn't like Poe on the onset.

Using stereotypes is bound to result in different reactions. I could argue that if Holdo was a stern, by the books male admiral, then the audience would have seen him as being part of the stereotype of "close minded military men" who are so incredibly rigid that they are incapable of coming up with creative solutions that more "erudite" individuals would develop, which by the way is a fairly common to the point of being tropish. Just insert any movie where you pit a scientist against the military when it comes to solving somekind of problem, whether it's aliens, the climate, or etc. But not everyone is going to have the same reaction to this. This is simply what I have come to expect from this particular trope. You can bet there are probably people out there who will first be astonished and then derisive about this version of Holdo.

I think relying on these kind of assumptions is a fairly weak method of narration because it can produce such varied responses based on people's experiences. I rather the characters be consistent and well developed over using assumed implicit biases. It's the same reason why I think the aesthetics of making the Empire / First Order looking like WW2 Nazis is rather lazy.

All that said, I do think it helps in terms of the film's narrative angle to have Holdo be an unknown character to the audience. We all know Leia, Han, Luke or possibly even Ackbar pretty well, so we know for sure what they are capable of. It would create some dissonance if a proven leader doesn't act in character. But you can also use a developed character that has demonstrated that they probably aren't fit the role of being leader to similar effect. In BSG, the audience probably already expected bad things to come when Colonel Tigh took over. There, we would have trusted Tigh less than say, Lee Adama automatically, in a similar manner to how we would treat a completely new character being introduced because we haven't seen proven leadership and assume they don't have it.

Poe's lesson comes at such an incredibly high price that he honestly should have just been sacked of his command.

He was, remember? After losing the bombers?

Poor word choice. I meant he should have been removed from partaking in anything, permanently. The guy is a menace, and they pamper him with a temporary suspension.

This is my problem with the subplot. Poe is supposed to learn a lesson, and the audience is supposed to be thinking: "Ah, I shouldn't have been supporting Poe. He was rash and got people killed!" Instead, I'm thinking to myself: "What a horrible tragedy. Poe is terrible. Holdo should have done something about it. If only Leia had the forethought to appoint a more capable leader if she were removed from command."

She did. You were just too absorbed in Poe's bull**** and your preconceptions of what Star Wars protagonists do to see her.

Leia was the one who actually demoted him for disobeying orders. She called him impulsive and dangerous. And then later on, she removed him from the bridge and yelled at him. None of these actions were particularly effective at restraining Poe.

In regards to people being absorbed in Poe's bull****, what exactly is Poe's bull****? I thought Poe was a disagreeable character pretty early on and figured he was going to cause trouble later on. My assumption is that Poe's bull**** refers to automatically siding or favoring an impulsive individual who refuses to cooperate with others, making decisions that sometimes pay off but can also have devastating consequences. If this is Poe's bull****, then I'm surprised that I have been absorbed in it, given that I never quite liked him to begin with.

I want to emphasize that agreeing or disagreeing with Poe's actions does not automatically mean you disagree or agree with Holdo's actions in turn. It is possible to think that Poe is irresponsible but also conclude that Holdo is an ineffectual leader.

Nope, gonna keep disagreeing on that.

My metric for a piece of art or media is whether or not it achieves the intended effect on its audience. This applies to basically everything, from poems to games to films. And to be fair, it's difficult to make a work universal. People are ridiculously diverse, and so it's incredibly unlikely that you can achieve the desired effect on everyone. Now the secondary metric that comes from this is usually measured as the proportion of people who were affected as intended by the author. If the intention of the Poe/Holdo subplot was that people realize that Poe was full of **** and that Holdo was right, followed by a realization that they were backing the wrong person, then the results seem rather mixed. You have people who supported Holdo from the beginning,  and you have people who disagree with both Poe and Holdo.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:22:25 pm by Snarks »

Offline Mika

Oh this half a year has been quite interesting on what it comes to Last Jedi apparently. I'm trying so very hard not to write half of the below as direct quotes from Star Wars, but let's see how that goes.

We have now seen some results of the film being published, including the home theater releases, so the facts are in. Guess what, the DVD sales of the Last Jedi are about -75 % compared to the Force Awakens. We also see that Solo movie has lost money instead of making it. Currently estimated to be about 50-100 millions in the negative, though this is likely an optimistic estimate, given the movie has practically been re-shot. However, Ron Howard attributed at least the right things: he is sad that the backlash of Last Jedi is affecting his movie. The sales of Star Wars merchandise has gone significantly down too.

There's been a leak from Disney that is about retiring (read: firing) Kathleen Kennedy in September. Other movie projects than Episode 9 have been put on hold, and that's including Rian "Ruin" Johnson's trilogy as is the Ben Kenobi movie. Further adding pressure to Disney's executive level is that they have invested a significant amount of money to Star Wars theme parks, which now will face a problem of missing visitors due to all time low interest in Star Wars.

Now, there was some talk here that the reception of Last Jedi may become similar to the reception of Empire Strikes Back. I'd like to know now when do people say that would happen, 'cause it's been about 7 months already and the general opinion doesn't seem to change? On the contrary, it still seems to be going to the other direction... I believe it was also me who first said here in January that Kennedy and Johnson both failed to uphold the value of the brand to the parent company, putting politics before happy customers. This, generally, is an idiotic business decision, and the results are in. What has also happened behind the scenes is that women will have harder time getting CEO level positions in the future thanks to Kennedy's legacy. It's still even more baffling Disney hasn't told LucasFilm employees to STFU in Twitter, there's still a lot of fan blaming going on, and given the Disney's public relations department, I would have expected this to stop already.

So not only have Kennedy and Johnson managed to deconstruct and subvert the Star Wars franchise, they have nearly succeeded in deconstructing the fan base, the LucasFilm company and the Disney's four billion dollar investment in the truest Elopian fashion. With this background, it's astonishing the LucasFilm board of directors is still intact, i.e. has not been fired as it should have been. It's one thing to misunderstand their target audience, but to go on and insult them is nearly unprecedented. It's tragic that they for some reason couldn't comprehend average fan is a man, and in their 30s and 40s  :lol: To get younger audience to the theater, you'll need to convince their parents first! Lando touted being pansexual certainly helped people make their decisions about watching Solo, it certainly did in my case, so thanks for the heads up! Then again, I lost my interest to Star Wars movies already. Seen from the management point of view, this is still a gold mine!

So "The Fandom Menace" is at play indeed, and Disney is about to witness the full power of a consumer boycott. It's as if millions of people had suddenly looked at each other after Last Jedi and asked "you guys see what I'm seeing?" and nodded. No further actions were planned, everybody just knew what had to be done. I'd go on and say the only way they can bring Episode 9 back is to fire Kathleen Kennedy publicly (Tip: Disney, this must be public, there's no credibility otherwise that they would have changed their ways) and bring back the original people responsible for writing and directing Episodes 4-6. Of course, nobody who is actually good in his profession would agree to work with what Ep. 8 left with, so that's pretty unlikely. So the two things above and one more episode in the trilogy might do the trick - I'm thinking somebody waking up from coma and saying "WTF was that about?"

JJ Abrams is now destined to become the fall guy. If I were him I'd actually bail out of Ep. 9 by any means necessary.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
However, Ron Howard attributed at least the right things: he is sad that the backlash of Last Jedi is affecting his movie.
you think I didn't see Solo because of The Last Jedi (which I loved), and not because I don't actually give a **** about Han Solo?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Han Solo was interesting because he's a rogue-ish character played by Harrison Ford.

That's it. That's the entire appeal. Making a movie around him could've worked after RotJ, but not now.

I liked TLJ, I didn't watch Solo. Because Solo didn't have the appeal to me as a "B-side Star Wars" since it seemed build on the notion of blatant fanservice and nothing else (unlike Rogue One, which was also a "B-Side Star Wars" but at hte very least introduced some new characters).

I have since learned that it's actually quite a decent film, so mabye I should go and watch it, but from the outside it just seemed like a blatant cashgrab. TLJ, for all of it's lovingly arguable flaws, at the very least was willing to take risks and push the franchise forward, which is something that Star Wars sorely needed imo.

(Also, where the **** does anyone in this whole ordeal "Insult their audience"?)