Author Topic: $Nav governs warpout capability issue  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
$Nav governs warpout capability issue
This feature in the AI_profiles table makes the engine require that a ship has a functional nav subsystem to warpout. I want to use this feature, but it seems that ships without a nav subsystem can still use hyperspace. As an optional feature, would it be possible to disallow ships without the subsystem from jumping instead of requiring that the ship both have it and have it be destroyed? Thanks.
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: $Nav governs warpout capability issue
Can't you just use a never-warp SEXP, or just give the ship in question no departure cue?  It's not a solution to the problem, but it is a workaround.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:wtf: Yeah, I agree with blowfish.  If a ship doesn't have that subsystem, it shouldn't be penalized.  For example, escape pods don't have engine subsystems but they can still move around.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Hmm.  Even if it was only tied to the $nav governs warpout capability flag?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There are plenty of other ways to prevent ships from warping out.  I see no reason to twist this feature into a self-contradiction.  Rule #1 in game design: Avoid violating the principle of least astonishment.

The most direct way of preventing a ship from entering subspace under all circumstances is to give it the "no subspace drive" flag, which is probably what Tempest is thinking of.  Rule #1 in requesting support: Say what you need, not what you think you need.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 12:25:41 pm by Goober5000 »