Poll

How much would you be willing to contribute towards a joint HLP pledge? ($2500 is the target)

$1
6 (5.6%)
$3
5 (4.7%)
$5
12 (11.2%)
$10
21 (19.6%)
$20
27 (25.2%)
$50
20 (18.7%)
$75
1 (0.9%)
$100
9 (8.4%)
$200
4 (3.7%)
More (Please Post)
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: This makes me giddy  (Read 70494 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Diaspora isn't a mod. :p

I think we should push the fact that the SCP has 3 total conversions already which don't require you to have Freespace 2 a lot harder.

"From what I've seen it appears HLP and the Source Code Project have not only kept the game engine up to date, but also created completely original campaigns, missions, and mods. They've even gone so far as to create new games based on Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, and Wing Commander, which don't need Freespace at all."

Those 3 names are big enough to attract attention from people who don't know or care about Freespace. Once they're here, we can interest them in FS. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I haven't been able to give much to the community (yet), so I thought I might as well put $30 towards this. I sent a message to Kagetsuki as well on Kickstarter. :)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Diaspora isn't a mod. :p
Technically it is. You can still play retail with the same exe you play Diaspora with. Total conversions are just a specific brand of mods.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Update posted. Current running total $1,649.75.

I purchased FS2 from GOG btw, going to start testing the build chain etc.

Offline docfu

Shouldn't he at least play through Transcend first?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Technically it is. You can still play retail with the same exe you play Diaspora with. Total conversions are just a specific brand of mods.

If you say game, people will download it and try it out. If you say mod, some people will say "Well I don't have Freespace 2, pity I can't play this" no matter how much you scream at them that you don't need FS2 to play it. Which is why we've always said Diaspora is a game (using the FS2_Open engine) and not mod.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
All good points; mentioning those games is fine with me, and I like how kara put it. However, let's keep in mind that this isn't an HLP advertising campaign - it's a mention of us as thanks for our contribution. So let's make sure that any rewording we suggest keeps that in mind. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Shouldn't he at least play through Transcend first?
He can start anywhere he wants. There are so many mods that there is no starting point (except arguably retail) that one needs to start from. I didn't start on Transcend myself, for example.

Offline Infamus

Who do I send my money to for the joint-donation? Hard-Light, SCP, or the Kickstarter?
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Added my 10$ to the HLP fund.

Infamus: You can either donate to HLP (which will then be aggregated and send over in a lump sum), or donate to the Kickstarter (Just remember to send Kagetsugi a message via Kickstarter to tell him that you want your contribution to be counted towards the HLP subtotal).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
i've tossed my $5 into hlp's donate button, so add that to the apngasm stuff that goes
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
FYI, it's better for those who can to donate directly to Kickstarter. That way you avoid PayPal transfer fees and make less work for me. :D

Which brings up a question... are all those who are donating directly to Kickstarter getting the benefits of their pledge levels? I'm guessing not, right?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken