Author Topic: questions! i have many!  (Read 1432 times)

Offline --Steve-O--

• I might be the last man on earth to use TS3.2
questions! i have many!
this is a tumultuous time in that I have upgraded my GFX card after 7...8 years :nervous: and finally get to bump up from 3.6.14 to 3.7 and enjoy all the new fangled stuff this game can do. that being said here are some issues, and a question/idea

1) why cant I see my external primaries from within the cockpit (I use "show ship" religiously)? the weapons show in the external view however.

2) the Saracen model, everything checks out in PCS, but when FSO loads it for torture testing it deletes a good portion of the geometry. oddly, most but not all of it relates to one of the texture maps ((I'll post a screen when I can, if I don't accidental fix it first). F3 main hall viewer set to wireframe shows the offending geometry in absentia. The model worked great in 3.6.14. all other models check out however.

3) what would be the possibility of having definable frame buffer shock wave distortions? thinking of something you can set in the table file to determine:
size of distortion effect
type, i.e. default/heat wave, vortex or fish eye. what I am getting at here is black hole weaponry, I want gravitation lensing damnit, fancy texture work does not cut it.
duration, does it die off quick or linger after the effect as ended.
that would be awesome.

OH...and why cant we use the graphic thruster effects used on ships with our weapons as well? I mean sure a modeled thruster has a time and place to be used. however it would be nice to have a nice flame the blends into the standard trails as well, easy to set up in the table, no extra model parts needed. could make some neat weapon effects with that...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:31:07 am by --Steve-O-- »
"And so they dwelled in filth, on worlds made of dirt and feces, and there they lay until they stumbled into the skies." --the Mad Prophet

Offline Echelon9

Re: questions! i have many!
For issue (2) with the Saracen, what does a Debug build of FS2Open 3.7.0 report in your fs2_open.log or warnings boxes?

Offline --Steve-O--

issue 2 has been resolved, there were some geometry glitches that were present.

still trying to figure out why I cant see external sub objects or weapons from inside the cockpit.
"And so they dwelled in filth, on worlds made of dirt and feces, and there they lay until they stumbled into the skies." --the Mad Prophet

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Are you using "show ship" flag or Diaspora-style cockpit model system? The latter won't show external weapon. "Show ship" should, though. Someone should check if this really works. There might be a bug in FSO.

Offline --Steve-O--

I'm using "show ship"
to clarify mostly cuz I wasn't paying close attention, the sub objects are shown from in the cockpit, the animations for said sub objects does not play though. so in cockpit view they remain static. now in external view the animation play out normally. external weapons show in external view, they do not however show from with in the cockpit. everything functioned fine with 3.6.14...a little dated I know but that should give a reference point as to when things changed with the engine.
it a little annoying, I like watching dealy jiggers move, and a day without moving dealy jiggers on my fighters is a dark bleak day indeed.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm with you on that one. :) I love watching the moving bits on your ships. Someone definitely needs to test it and fix it, because this sounds like a bug in FSO. I'd run a test bug I've got no time.