Author Topic: RELEASE - Albanus Class Freighter  (Read 6118 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
RELEASE - Albanus Class Freighter
OK, so Hades modelled this a few months ago, then Quanto UVed it, and I got ahold of the UVed mesh, threw a texture on it and converted it for ingame use. So very much a joint effort this. Anyway, I'm using it as a prisoner transport, so that's what's written on the cargo and the tech description, but they're both very easily changed. If anyone wants them, I also have .pspimage files for the three textures, with layers intact.

NB - the side pods probably wont have thrusters for you, unless you're using a nightly build (i.e. not RC2). They will eventually work (you can check PCS2 to see that they do exist), but until Zookeeper's changes to the code allowing rotating submodels to keep track of thrusters gets made standard, they wont show up. So yeah, wait a bit, and they'll suddenly work when you change a build one day (At least in theory - fs2downloads appears down so can't get the latest nightly, and so I haven't actually tested that aspect yet - there may be a 1.1 release before too long :))

DOWNLOAD - Sectorgame

[attachment deleted by a ninja]
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: RELEASE - Albanus Class Freighter
It looks good, but could you provide a version without the writing on the container?
Actually, it could use a variety of containers for various purposes (perhaps even some armed ones). Maybe you could make a few if you have the time.
Also, there's some odd smoothing near the front pods. And I think that the coloring could be better (blue doesn't fit too well on it, and brown could use darkening), but that relatively minor.

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Oh my god! Thank you so much for rigging it!!!
You just saved me a lot of work that i was totally putting off. I totally want to hug you right now, but I'll just give you a  :yes: instead.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Erm, just be aware I did modify the UV a tiny bit vs. your version. So make sure your maps still work. I don't think there were any big changes though.

Also, while the rigging and rotation works great, I absolutely cannot get the engine glows to follow the p\submodels. I'm hoping zookeeper will be able to take a look at it and make some suggestions.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Quanto

Erm, just be aware I did modify the UV a tiny bit vs. your version. So make sure your maps still work. I don't think there were any big changes though.

Also, while the rigging and rotation works great, I absolutely cannot get the engine glows to follow the p\submodels. I'm hoping zookeeper will be able to take a look at it and make some suggestions.

I remember Andy mentioning something about thruster glows not being able to follow subobjects, as I had planned on a vehicle with a setup such as that. Well, at least now someone else is aware of the big elephant now, maybe something will be done to improve on it.

Oh, and the UV looks fine, I cant seem to find any odd texture problems, so yes, I am quite happy with your rigging.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Can somebody please explain the layout of the UV map to me?
I'm currently trying to make a version that is more in line with the Chronos but somehow I'm missing something

(it goes without saying that this my first take on messing with a UV map)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Is it alright if I upload this to fsmods?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
No, there's a better version coming. Gotta talk to zookeeper about getting the rotating thrusters to work, and mjn made a normal map.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Quanto

Can somebody please explain the layout of the UV map to me?
I'm currently trying to make a version that is more in line with the Chronos but somehow I'm missing something

(it goes without saying that this my first take on messing with a UV map)
When texturing a model, its best to have it loaded in modeling editor that can view the texture as you go. Texture a UV Island, save a draft of the texture, load it in the modeler, look at it for a bit; go back to your image editor, mess with another island, save the draft, load it in the modeler, look at it again. Repeat, repeat, repeat, and repeat until done. Sorry, that's just how it is.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Uh...
I fully UVmap, rig everything, export the ****ing model complete with all the POF data, then move on to draw the texture.

I preview with PCS2 if needed but I don't do it too often.

I find that 3DSmax's viewport kinda sucks for previewing textures cause it makes everything have utterly **** resolution and I don't want to bother fiddling with the settings so it isn't so, as it would probably negatively impact perfomance when not trying to preview textures (it lags enough with detailed things, really)... To view it properly in Max I need to render it anyway, and a render can't be rotated like it can in PCS2. So it's best to finish everything with one program, close it, and go to the next, cause that reduces the number of windows cluttering everything, and makes sure that nothing eve gets ****ed up by accident. PCS2 can't screw up geometry or UVmapping while previewing your texture.

It's just a matter of preference.

You may bring up the fact that my UVmaps and textures suck, and that I'm a noob. Fair enough, I learned how to model, UVmap, and texture in a span of two days, self-taught following like, two online text tutorials. So I don't exactly know the conventions of the trade, nor do I give two flying ****s about that ****. I do what works for me.

Though its fairly easy to figure out what's what, just like, apply one of those "textures" with all the rainbow colors and regions and numbers and **** and look at how it looks like when applied. Simple.

Sorry for going on this rant, but that post rubbed me the wrong way. I don't quite know why.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:50:46 am by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

I'm running a self compielied build from the latest svn and the thruster pods do not show. I cant give log currently due to being on a tablet right now.
May the Force be with you

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
No, there's a better version coming. Gotta talk to zookeeper about getting the rotating thrusters to work, and mjn made a normal map.

Alright I will keep an eye on this thread. Of course you can upload it yourself at any time if you like.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Quanto

snip
Wait. My post rubbed you the wrong way? I spelled it out easy.
Though, I do admit that previewing and modifying textures and UV Maps is easier in Silo than Max (which is why I only use Max for rigging these days), but I don't think there was anything truly inflammatory in my post to result in such a rant.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
I don't know why, but this really feels like a freighter the UEF would use...
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
@Quando and Droid:
thx for the tips ...
 work is coming along nicely now... will post a WIP shot in the SoI forum soon (now)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:51:26 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."