Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 617118 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
Well, that is the usual strategy: kill them with large numbers of glass cannons, but usually when the Dread Lords show up in a normal game, you've already got a decent start on tech and can quickly research the Life Support systems necessary to get everywhere on the map, making it easy to rush them.

In these missions, your ships simply don't have the range to get to the Dread Lord home systems. That means I have to colonize planets on the way there, build starbases, or spend tons of time researching life support tech. Quickly colonizing planets means the Dread Lords capture them within a few turns, and I can't defend them because the planet doesn't have enough people or infrastructure to build defenses; quickly building starbases means the Dread Lords destroy them within a few turns (I've yet to see ANY starbase survive a Dread Lord attack, even ultra-late game fully-upgraded ones). And if I wait until I have sufficient military defenses for my planets or starbases, the Dread Lords have already set up shop and are too entrenched to be dislodged.

It's a Morton's Fork situation as far as I can see. If there's a happy medium that allows you to build fast enough to maintain a minor edge, I haven't found it.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Too much Minecraft.  The Nether is a ***** and can go straight to hell and die.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Fallout: New Vegas

Cazador
Seriously, **** these things. :hopping: Crippling their wings helps, though.

But the worst is when you are our of medical supplies, the camera turns back and you hear: "DEKAISERHASMARKEDUFORDETH!"

EDIT: Scotty: Done.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:17:59 pm by An4ximandros »

Offline Lorric

Well, that is the usual strategy: kill them with large numbers of glass cannons, but usually when the Dread Lords show up in a normal game, you've already got a decent start on tech and can quickly research the Life Support systems necessary to get everywhere on the map, making it easy to rush them.

In these missions, your ships simply don't have the range to get to the Dread Lord home systems. That means I have to colonize planets on the way there, build starbases, or spend tons of time researching life support tech. Quickly colonizing planets means the Dread Lords capture them within a few turns, and I can't defend them because the planet doesn't have enough people or infrastructure to build defenses; quickly building starbases means the Dread Lords destroy them within a few turns (I've yet to see ANY starbase survive a Dread Lord attack, even ultra-late game fully-upgraded ones). And if I wait until I have sufficient military defenses for my planets or starbases, the Dread Lords have already set up shop and are too entrenched to be dislodged.

It's a Morton's Fork situation as far as I can see. If there's a happy medium that allows you to build fast enough to maintain a minor edge, I haven't found it.
I remember the Dread Lords not acting rigidly the same play to play. So they could be beaten with enough attempts.

If there's another way, I don't know what it is, their advantage seems insurmountable, all I can think of doing is throwing numbers at them and hoping they die. As you say, glass cannons.

Of course, if you simply want to win, you could always stick it on the bottom difficulty. That should slow them down. I don't know what difficulty I beat it on, it wasn't bottom, but it wasn't anywhere near top either. It was the first thing I did, so it was probably normal or maybe a notch below.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I played Galactic Civilizations once and decided it was a really crappy 4X compared to Space Empires IV. I didn't see anything about GalCiv II that made me want to play it.

Slightly more on-topic, I have been playing the Terraria 1.2 update virtually nonstop since it released. Wow.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
An4ximandros:

For the consideration of those on this board who do not wish to see profanity, please place that image behind a link, rather than embedding it in the post.

Thanks,
Scotty

Offline Lorric

I have been playing the Terraria 1.2 update virtually nonstop since it released. Wow.
Hmmm...

http://www.destructoid.com/terraria-update-1-2-is-out-today-here-s-what-s-new-262788.phtml

Wow indeed. Is that free if you already have the game?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well, that is the usual strategy: kill them with large numbers of glass cannons,

Perhaps you're not glass cannon-y enough. I typically hunted them down with merchant hulls that had a lot of guns strapped on and relied on aggressor's first shot to kill them in one blow, rather than spending the time researching combat hulls sufficiently gutsy to carry enough guns.

This also alleviates the problem of sufficient life support, to some extent.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Yep, that's what I was doing: strapping as many guns onto a Cargo hull as possible and producing them en masse.

The issue was my guns weren't powerful enough to one-shot them. I had to rely on attrition to fight them, sacrificing ten ships to blow up one. My industrial base simply couldn't sustain that long enough for me to research the real heavy hitters.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Since GTA Online had the patch out, I've been hammering away at it

Nothing is better than chain robbing stores
"No"

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Have you been hit by a car that has been hit by a plane that has been hit by a train? It's not the endgame until that happens.

Have you been hit by a car that has been hit by a plane that has been hit by a train? It's not the endgame until that happens.

Throw in an earthquake and you get this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dx0m6ZfltQQ/T0PgwYnYO_I/AAAAAAAAAfg/OQ2qEU0nvsA/s1600/calvin+and+hobbes+disaster.jpg

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
just bought descent I and II from gog.  unaltered.  i distinctly remember sniping robots from distance before they saw me when i played this as a wee lad.  i have no idea how, because now i can't see them from far away at all.  i'm also very happy that it plays out of the box on a modern system.  tried playing from a non-gog source a while back, never made it work.

anyone know how to get a joystick to work with them though?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:53:20 pm by Klaustrophobia »
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I haven't checked out the GOG versions of the games myself (still have my beloved Definitive Collection CDs lying around), but in general, the best way to run D1 and D2 these days is the DXX Rebirth source project.  The joystick config using them should be much easier than having to deal with DOSBox.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Having just finished the Thief series, I now have a conundrum... KOTOR 2, Assassin's Creed, or The Witcher.... decisions, decisions.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Lorric

Having just finished the Thief series, I now have a conundrum... KOTOR 2, Assassin's Creed, or The Witcher.... decisions, decisions.
Since there was a bit of a stink kicked up about The Witcher on here not too long ago, I'd be interested in what you thought of The Witcher.

I haven't played it btw.

Offline Husker

I don't care 1 bit bout the other 2. I'm a Star Wars geek, KOTOR all the way!!!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Assassin's Creed is gameplay excellent if you skip the first one, while the first one has (in my opinion) the better written story, or at least less of an "I can see this crashing and burning three games away" story.  Then again, if you like to like you protagonists, Al'tair (AC1) is kind of a gigantic dickwad, while Ezio (AC2/Brotherhood/Revelation) is fairly likable, if naïve.  They're pretty good games, though.  Unless you hate collection based side-quests.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Just bought myself a nice little place in GTA Online
for 205k, it's pretty solid. Ten car garage? **** yeah!

EDIT:

**** yeah stole a tank, had a friend winch it out of the airbase, and wrecked havoc upon Free Roam!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:36:35 am by deathfun »
"No"

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Back to Book of Unwritten Tales.

Even played some FS2 retail only to find how rusty I am with the CH Flightstick Pro :blah: although it seems to handle a bit weird on my Windows machine.

Also played some DDR for PS2 with a friend this past weekend. :D The community is pretty much dead, but there are still a few who play. Waaaayy out of practice though. It's been a while.