Author Topic: Activision would like to raise game prices further!  (Read 9556 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Activision would like to raise game prices further!
Thing is, Activision posted over a Billion dollars in Profit for the last 3 months, and still they want more...

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Yeah, you'd think a nation originally colonized by criminals would be all about blowing people's heads up. :D

:lol:

Seriously though, I feel I must defend my Australian cousins regarding that, since 'criminal' in those days mostly consisted of 'The Poor' and 'People who said unpopular things' ;) Yes, there were 'real' criminals as well, but the majority of the settlers weren't really guilty of any major crimes. Except, possibly, being Poms ;)

... because iocaine comes from Austrailia, which is entirely peopled with criminals, as everyone knows. And criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me. So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

:D
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

would you believe that's on in the other room?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Yes. It is, after all, one of the best movies to ever be made.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Hey guys, do you remember this thing called the housing market bubble popping? I'm waiting for this to apply to the game industry too.

doubt it, computer games have hung around the £30-£45 pound mark for the last decade for single game non SE tbh the game market is very stable, i doubt Activision will do it as i doubt anyone else will for fears of driving their customers to piracy
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
Hey guys, do you remember this thing called the housing market bubble popping? I'm waiting for this to apply to the game industry too.

doubt it, computer games have hung around the £30-£45 pound mark for the last decade for single game non SE tbh the game market is very stable, i doubt Activision will do it as i doubt anyone else will for fears of driving their customers to piracy

I never downloaded a pirated game. All throughout my teen years, university, etc, work, always paid for my games. But if the price does go above £100, I would download games illegally just to piss off the companies. My method of protest.

Not sure that consumers are the lemmings that game publishers think we are. Most gamers would not pay that large a sum of money for a game. Dont forget we are living through a world recession. People do not have the money they used to have, to spend on luxury items.
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
So in other words, you did download pirated games.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thing is, looking at the prices via Google, it doesn't look like most companies are even taking note of the higher price. I think what this might really be about is reducing the loss-margin when selling to retailers.

For example, if your RRP is 55 quid, then you can add about 5 pounds to the market price of your goods by saying that the high RRP means more profit to the retailer. The retailer, however, knows that the game will certainly be in demand, but knows that pricing it at 15-20 pounds above everything else will pretty much isolate it from a fair segment of the market. So the retailer absorbs the extra price, and makes slightly less of a profit, but doesn't lose sales.

You can pre-order the game for about 35 pounds on quite a few sites in the UK.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
In Australia I think retailers are doing the same thing from the other direction: raising prices of everything to match the most expensive thing then adding $20-50 for no apparent reason.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Most gamers would not pay that large a sum of money for a game. Dont forget we are living through a world recession. People do not have the money they used to have, to spend on luxury items.

We will see. Seeing as how good games that need extra stuff to play, like Rockband, sell and that these aren't the cheepest ones I think people will buy these games anyway. Maybe a little less then before but not that much I think.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Well, since I finally worked past my horrible math skills and was told that 100 pounds is 166 USD, I doubt many Americans are going to pay that much for a video game in the middle of a recession.  Of course, if my assumption is right, Activision will round it to an even $169.99 as everyone loves multiples of ten.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
So in other words, you did download pirated games.

No, i havent,

But i would be seriously tempted if prices rose to that level. Not because its out of my price range or anything, could buy the item if I so wished. More the principle of it.

But surely sites like direct2drive and Steam would tell them that this just wouldnt work. Price yourself out of the market. On the other side I have heard Steam is having great success with all the smaller title releases for between €4.99-€8.99
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well, since I finally worked past my horrible math skills and was told that 100 pounds is 166 USD, I doubt many Americans are going to pay that much for a video game in the middle of a recession.  Of course, if my assumption is right, Activision will round it to an even $169.99 as everyone loves multiples of ten.

That's the thing: the game will be priced at $100 and 100 pounds overseas. Europeans and Australians (especially the latter) get ripped off horribly by game prices.

Okay, good point.  Poor non-Americans.  I still doubt many Americans are going to pay $100 for a video game.  $60 or $70, sure, $80 maybe.  $90 or $100, no freaking way.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I would never pay 60.00 USD for a single game. Ever. In fact, the only plausible explanation for people buying football games at that price is that they're being used to "move coffee".

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I'm sure if this comes to pass the price in Australia will be around $300 for no apparent reason prompting Australia to take its rightful place as world leader in piracy.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I would never pay 60.00 USD for a single game. Ever. In fact, the only plausible explanation for people buying football games at that price is that they're being used to "move coffee".
I had to pay 60 for Quake II when it was first shelved, it was worth it.
I miss the days of good games.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I think X-Plane 8 was about $80 USD when first released. 9 was around $90...  :shaking:

Given that X-Plane is usually pretty buggy when the first versions are released, you learn to be patient when deciding to file an order. Note the price also drops, too. I think I only paid about $40 for X-Plane 9. Updates are free, too (not between major versions, though).

That's the most I can ever recall spending on software. Usually it'll cost me $20-30 USD for a title. I give my humble condolances to my Australian bretheren...

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke