Author Topic: Freespace vs. X crossover debate...sigh :D  (Read 54431 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Freespace vs. X crossover debate...sigh :D
The best Star Wars material is in the EU - Traitor, Shatterpoint, the Zahn books.

You might be forgetting the fact that EU contains also the worst SW material - enough to drown a galaxy in it. In fact, the "best" material is like a drop of water in a desert of crap.

So yea...EU suckorz.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
The best Star Wars material is in the EU - Traitor, Shatterpoint, the Zahn books.

You might be forgetting the fact that EU contains also the worst SW material - enough to drown a galaxy in it. In fact, the "best" material is like a drop of water in a desert of crap.

So yea...EU suckorz.

What's your point?  That plenty of it sucks somehow negates the works that are excellent?  If that is your reasoning then the movie franchise should be considered mediocre since the prequels are absolute bantha **** and RotJ had Ewoks.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, seriously. Two-thirds of the non-EU Star Wars material sucks. More if you count the TV shows.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
What's your point?  That plenty of it sucks somehow negates the works that are excellent?  If that is your reasoning then the movie franchise should be considered mediocre since the prequels are absolute bantha **** and RotJ had Ewoks.
'scuse me, but Ewoks rule.  Just sayin'. :p

'scuse me, but Ewoks rule.  Just sayin'. :p
Stormkeeper, I humbly request you burn this forumite for the crime of heresy.  By stating Ewoks rule, he has committed a crime for which there can be no innocence, only degrees of guilt.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Dekker, you would pull that card.  :p

And EU is good if you stick to Zahn, Stackpole, and a few others I can't remember.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Hyperspace can only go along specified routes, or you have to constantly decelerate and change your course. In addition, with subspace you can pick the point you want to travel to and almost immediately arrive there, which is a tactical boon in a combat engagement. I'd say that over long distances, the two universes' ship speeds balance out.

Oh, and the Shivans would rip the Empire+Rebelllion+Republic+Ewoks a new one. Hell, the GTVA could do it. Their shields aren't as resilient as ours, and we have plasma turrets, repeating lasers, and beam weaponry. However, it seems that all other universes can engage from longer range.
I shat all over that Shivan fighter....right up 'till his buddy got me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Nothing in that post is supported by anything in either universe.

Except for paragraph A, which is directly contradicted - hyperspace isn't restricted to particular routes, subspace is (nodes); the volume of space that the FSverse occupies could be crossed in minutes, along almost any path, by Star Wars ships.

The whole fun of crossover debates is sapped by this us/them thing. Your ego is not tied to the killing power of your universe.

He did have a point- SW ships have to come out the direction they started in. FS ships do WHAT EVER THE HECK THEY WANT.  :p

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yeah, but they can also start and finish independent of any nodes whatsoever.

And if ego were tied to the killing power of your universe, the Death Star says hi.  And the Sun Crusher.  And the Galaxy Gun.  And the other Death Star.  And the other one.  And the Eye (nostril) of Palpatine.  Can't forget the World Devastators.  Or the Eclipse and Eclipse II. (I'm missing one, I know it).

Oh, and the Shivans would rip the Empire+Rebelllion+Republic+Ewoks a new one. Hell, the GTVA could do it. Their shields aren't as resilient as ours, and we have plasma turrets, repeating lasers, and beam weaponry. However, it seems that all other universes can engage from longer range.

Turbolasers can and frequently do liquify fighters.  Their shields are on EVERYSINGLE ONE of their ships, and any resiliency differences are immeasurable.  They do have repeating lasers.  They also have incredibly badass missiles, fighters that put FS's to shame, and the Force.

They also have the little matter of an entire galaxy behind them.  the combined GTVA has, what, thirty systems?  The Hutts have several hundred more than that by themselves.

GTVA has less. And more than half are backwater systems that only have colonies for resources or simply colonies for the sake of small, pitiful colonies.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

This guy vs the massive brain trust that is GTVA Command.

Where is the betting counter?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Nightcrawler is a massive fag. . .
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Star Destroyer main battery output is only in the kiloton range from ESB. FS fighters chuck things that do as much damage as a Star Destroyer's main battery with alarming regularity. As painful as it sounds, SW's weapons are actually much more plausible...and hence much less powerful. The subspace drive nullifies the range issue. The main gun of the Eclipses cracks continents, which is more or less what a Harbinger does. If the Rebellion had any weapon remotely comparable to Harbingers, the Death Star would have been a lot easier to handle; just excavate starting at the super laser.

On the other hand, SW has a significantly deeper reserves to call on. Including their answers to Alpha 1: the guys from X-Wing and TIE Fighter.

So they have two Alpha 1s.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Don't forget the guy you play as for the last three missions of X-Wing, who is actually an EU character.  Say hi to Keyan Faralander (sp?).  THEN you have the unnamed awesomeness that is the player.

Except for paragraph A, which is directly contradicted - hyperspace isn't restricted to particular routes, subspace is (nodes); the volume of space that the FSverse occupies could be crossed in minutes, along almost any path, by Star Wars ships.

The whole fun of crossover debates is sapped by this us/them thing. Your ego is not tied to the killing power of your universe.

Paragraph A is not contradicted - it is supported. While you can make small hyperjumps, a large one requires an actual route, e.g. Perlemian Trade HS route. If you are not on a mapped route, you have to make "microjumps" which means constantly dropping out of hyperspace and jumping onto a new course to avoid becoming a crater on an asteroid or planet. I have not been deprived of the EU of SW. I know some of this (mostly useless) crap. And there are many contradictions within the SW universe that undermine the idea that they could cover the FSverse in minutes, e.g. the amount of time to travel from Point A to Point B always varies, even in SW canon sources.

Oh, and there is no way a Star Destroyer could challenge a Deimos. Those two forward guns would peel the Imp Star Deuce like an onion ;)
I shat all over that Shivan fighter....right up 'till his buddy got me.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Don't forget the guy you play as for the last three missions of X-Wing, who is actually an EU character.  Say hi to Keyan Faralander (sp?).  THEN you have the unnamed awesomeness that is the player.

Farlander is who you play for the whole campaign, except the last mission. I have the novella. I used to know the name of the guy you played in TIE Fighter too...

Kaloonzu: No, that's not how it works, sorry. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Maarek Stele

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Paragraph A is not contradicted - it is supported. While you can make small hyperjumps, a large one requires an actual route, e.g. Perlemian Trade HS route. If you are not on a mapped route, you have to make "microjumps" which means constantly dropping out of hyperspace and jumping onto a new course to avoid becoming a crater on an asteroid or planet. I have not been deprived of the EU of SW. I know some of this (mostly useless) crap. And there are many contradictions within the SW universe that undermine the idea that they could cover the FSverse in minutes, e.g. the amount of time to travel from Point A to Point B always varies, even in SW canon sources.

Oh, and there is no way a Star Destroyer could challenge a Deimos. Those two forward guns would peel the Imp Star Deuce like an onion ;)

And yet even a moderately fast Star Wars ship can cross a volume of space equal to the FreeSpace setting in minutes...maybe seconds. The fact that their galaxy is navigable by an average hyperspace-capable ship is testament to this. Subspace barely lets us hop around a tiny chunk of one spiral arm.

Assertion B (Deimos vs ISD) is one of those things we just have no way of determining...although you're giving a lot of credit to the puny TerSlash.

While a TerSlash would only do superficial damage to a SD's hull, the slash of the beam would take out a lot of turrets and surface subsystems.  While a Deimos or two wouldn't do all that much damage to a SD's hull integrity, a SD would lose a great deal of its firepower as the TerSlashes rake its hull.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems