Author Topic: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread  (Read 97380 times)

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Re: 3.6.12 MediaVPs Discussion thread
I noticed the GTF Tauret model (fighter2V-02) doesn't look right.  The cockpit canopy is opaque and the cockpit can not be seen.  In comparing the model in the MediaVP_3612 with the model that was released prior to the 3.6.12 media VPs, I noticed the one in the Media VPs has a texture labeled NoGlass while the original release of the tauret has the texture labeled Glass
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 03:03:46 pm by Macfie »
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I noticed the GTF Tauret model (fighter2V-02) doesn't look right.  The cockpit canopy is opaque and the cockpit can not be seen.  In comparing the model in the MediaVP_3612 with the model that was released prior to the 3.6.12 media VPs, I noticed the one in the Media VPs has a texture labeled NoGlass while the original release of the tauret has thr texture labeled Glass

Hang on, the Tauret had a cockpit?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The Tauret doesn't have a modeled cockpit... does it? o_O
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Macfie

Yes, according to the model it has a cockpit.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Kolgena

Confirmed that it does. Use transparent or wireframe view with the ship lab. It houses a very very rectangular zod though :D

Soz, someone needs to go back and map glass over the thing now.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Well, see...I didn't want people going on about they didn't want to see a vasudan shape in the cockpit if they were flying it as a terran. Or the insightful request of "have 2 copies, one with each for each side!"

So, I just put a texture over the glass.

And there you have it.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Kolgena

Fair enough. I didn't think of that.

Offline Macfie

Well, see...I didn't want people going on about they didn't want to see a vasudan shape in the cockpit if they were flying it as a terran. Or the insightful request of "have 2 copies, one with each for each side!"

So, I just put a texture over the glass.

And there you have it.

There are two versions

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I figured that a Vasudan costume would be provided to all Terrans flying in Vasudan wings in the officer exchange program, and vice versa.

Ya know, cause noone ever complains about there not being any Vasudans in Terran fighters.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:01:27 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ya know, cause noone ever complains about there not being any Vasudans in Terran fighters.
This. For example, in Proycon Insurgency you play as a Vasudan and fly a Pegasus (which has a cockpit with a Terran in it).

Personally I don't think it's that big of a deal if there isn't a seperate version of Vasudan fighters with Terrans in them.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
There are two versions

Right, but there are not 2 table entries to provide a Terran one for Terran Pilots and the Vasudan one for Vasudan Pilots. Which is a level of complexity (that while possible) that is annoying to have to deal with. That's what I was getting at.

As the only alteration is to the texture space in PCS, folks can feel free to substitute the model in favor for a cock pitted one if they so choose. But as for what was put in the MediaVPs (while it was a shame to do so, those are nice cockpits) at the time it wasn't felt to be a recommended solution to try and put both of them in.

This is, of course, not set in stone by any means. This is simply an outline of where and how the decision was made.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

As the only alteration is to the texture space in PCS, folks can feel free to substitute the model in favor for a cock pitted one if they so choose. But as for what was put in the MediaVPs (while it was a shame to do so, those are nice cockpits) at the time it wasn't felt to be a recommended solution to try and put both of them in.
cock pit /= cockpit.
Thank you for your time.

Offline Macfie

Why wasn't the same logic applied to the Thoth and the Bakha?  Both of these have vasudan cockpits?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
How absurd. We shouldn't even have to consider officer exchange programs in the Media VPs. If there's a modeled cockpit, let us see it!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Why wasn't the same logic applied to the Thoth and the Bakha?  Both of these have vasudan cockpits?

That is a very good question. I find I don't have an answer. (Other than they possibly were not provided with an either/or option and only were provided as vasudan-only models)

Tauret will be updated accordingly for the next version.

¤[D+¬>

Offline Macfie

All the nameplates for the GTSC Faustus vessels are messed up.  In the mediavps_3612, the texture name for the nameplate was changed from "science01-name" to "nameplate".  This means the ship nameplate created for any Faustus previously will not work with the mediavps_3612 and all the affected missions will need to be revised. 

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm.

/random idea:

Have the splash screen show a random shot from the screenshots directory, and / or include several preloaded splash screens with it.  Superimpose the SCP 3.6.12 info on top of the screenshots.  Thoughts?  Good? :)  Bad?  :nervous:  Ugly?  :warp:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
All the nameplates for the GTSC Faustus vessels are messed up.  In the mediavps_3612, the texture name for the nameplate was changed from "science01-name" to "nameplate".  This means the ship nameplate created for any Faustus previously will not work with the mediavps_3612 and all the affected missions will need to be revised. 

I wouldn't say they're "messed up" but you are quite correct. The old Retail Orion-style nameplate texture is no longer used, so these science vessels will appear without nameplates. The Faustus now uses the same nameplate style as every other high-poly ship.

All FS2 and FSPort missions have been updated. This is just one of those things that project leads ought to do if they want full 3.6.12 compatibility.

Offline Kolgena

Tauret will be updated accordingly for the next version.

Any chance of a patch before then? I don't know where the SVN is.

Offline Macfie

I wouldn't say they're "messed up" but you are quite correct. The old Retail Orion-style nameplate texture is no longer used, so these science vessels will appear without nameplates. The Faustus now uses the same nameplate style as every other high-poly ship.

All FS2 and FSPort missions have been updated. This is just one of those things that project leads ought to do if they want full 3.6.12 compatibility.

yes, but it would be nice if the project leads were informed of these changes.  I don't see anything in the readme file that would tell a project lead about the change.
The old retail Orion-style nameplate texture will still work, you just have to go in and redo the texture replacement in fred to use nameplate instead of science01-name.