Author Topic: New WCS player  (Read 4406 times)

Alright, if any of you have seen me in TBP forum, it's the same here. I need a good introduction into the WCS series, simply because i'm bored enough to try something new. So i'm assuming the prologue will tell me everything i need to know about the story, is there anything else i should know about WCS?

thanks in advance.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline CKid

Don't get hit by missiles.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline nowd

I need a good introduction into the WCS series
Currently, there isn't such thing as a WcSaga series. The WCS-team is working on the main WCSaga campaign but right now the prologue is the only WCSaga part available.
The prologue takes place just before WC3 and the WC:Saga mod uses the same scenario (ships, weapons etc.) but tells the story from another perspective.
If you are new to the Wing Commander Universe in general then you should await some long answers.

If you are new to the Wing Commander Universe in general then you should await some long answers.

Then i'm waiting.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline nowd

:) OK. I'll put it in a nutshell:
The Prologue isn't related to the main Wing Commander plot so i'll simply tell you the things you should know about the story to understand the WC:Saga plot:
Story:
Humanity is in war with the Kilrathi empire (a cat-like and very aggressive species) since more than 30 years. After some important terran victories (thanks to the hero of the original games Colonel Cristopher Blair) the Kilrathi were about to lose the war.
Nevertheless they managed to fool Confed into a false armistic and launch a surprise attack on earth. After destroying a handfull inner terran colonies and hitting some of earth's most important cities, the terran fleet finally manages to beat them back and save earth but the fleet also sustained heavy casualties.
However the Confederation has never really recovered from that blow and after another few months of fighting the Kilrathi are winning major victories against Confed and now you(the heroic fighter pilot) has to do your best to help Confed in realising a daring plan to defeat the Kilrathi.....

Gameplay(compared to FS):
-Just like in Freespace there are intersystem jump nodes. However there are no insystem subspace drives (This is why you cover long distances with the autopilot).
-Capships are a lot of more fragile than in FS. One to three well-placed torpedeos can take down any capital ship. So watch out if you have to protect one.
-Missiles are deadly. Deadly for your enemy and deadly for you.
-You can't modify your gun-loadout.
-You have only a limited amount of afterburner fuel.
-Unlike the blob turrets in FS the turrets in Saga can get you killed.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 08:37:36 am by nowd »

thanks a lot. Are there countermeasures for dealing with deadly missiles? and are their shields as well?

...or how about if i just shut up and find out for myself?  ;)
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
thanks a lot. Are there countermeasures for dealing with deadly missiles? and are their shields as well?

yep/yep :)

...or how about if i just shut up and find out for myself?  ;)

excellent idea :D
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Captain Moran

• WCS Voice Actor
And Saga has better voice acting than the rest of the series  ;7 :lol:

And humbler voice actors.......
They are not toys. They are collectables.

Offline Drakon

• Thud-Wielding Menace
If you want more background into the wing commander storyline, ships, weapons, and the gist of things without having to wait for posted replies, visiting the Wing Commander CIC might be well worth your time as well - especially if you're entirely new to the franchise / mod projects. While Saga's plot is intended to be happening at the same time as other canon events, the gameplay has a lot of the same feel to it as the games it's designed to emulate, and your questions may receive more thorough answers there.

http://www.wcnews.com/encyclopedia/

As you play the Prologue though remember that it's a demo really. The final release will feature many more ships, complex missions, campaigns (probably with winning and losing tracks), and a host of ingame features that aren't available in the Prologue. While loads of fun, it's an appetizer more than anything imho. The project has been going on for a long time and when the full mod comes out it will be quite impressive. If you like it, FRED can be used to create your own missions with Prologue files that can allow you to even go so far as make your own campaigns if you like. There's nothing not to love. ^^

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:29:21 pm by Drakon »
C.M.C. "Drakon" Cunningham

Writer, WCIII/IV junkie, one-time Freelancer hotshot, and uh... quaintly eccentric.

actually i'm playing some emulations of wing commander one and two. Instant classics :yes:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Don't get hit by missiles.

Epic win advice.

I used to play a WC demo a while back, I remember that they had a mass driver and laser weapons or something, and there were weird aliens. Plus my aspect missiles could OHKO them alien fighters.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

i still can't figure out how to change the primary weapons in that game...

whenever i fly a rapier i'm stuck with my neutron guns and i can't switch to my lasers :(
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline nowd

i still can't figure out how to change the primary weapons in that game...

whenever i fly a rapier i'm stuck with my neutron guns and i can't switch to my lasers
"G" switches primary weapons. You can check out all the controls of Wing Commander here

Have fun with Wing Commander. I'm just replaying it, too.  :)

Say, how come phase shields aren't in WCS?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Say, how come phase shields aren't in WCS?

maybe because they weren't in WC3?
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

well i havn't played WC3 yet, so my bad :P
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I thought they were, but the graphic engine is quite pants, Your fighter shields operate on the same priciple as cap shields so :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png