Author Topic: Status-Report  (Read 6882 times)

Can you give a status-report for the WCS-mod (final release)?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
It will be released "when it's done". There is no exact date, and any dates currently offered by anyone are purely speculation. ;)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Next Tuesday it is then  :yes:

*runs away*

[in the distance] Great job so far by the way guys, Cheers ! [/in the distance]
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I didn´t want to get a release date of course. What would be nice, is an update of what has already been done in your final version of WCS.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Let's just say, that a lot has changed during the past 6 months. I do not want to go into details right now, but alterations have been made to the game balancing, effects, interface. Lots of new models have been added and, of course, there has been tremendous progress on the mission making front. The game installation exceeds 1 GB right now and is growing.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
It will be released "when it's done". There is no exact date, and any dates currently offered by anyone are purely speculation. ;)

... Sounds so blizzard-ish.

Gamespot: When will Starcraft 2 be released?
Blizzard: When its done. There is no exact date, and any dates offered are pure speciulation.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Ever heard of Duke Nukem Forever? No? What a shame.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Drakon

• Thud-Wielding Menace
Hmm.. sort of along the same lines, what isn't done yet? Does the team have the capability to overcome these challenges (hopefully) within the next year or two? I think what the jist of Knarf's question is if you could update the Saga page's progress bars for various game aspects, which would give many of us a clear idea of what the rate of progress is just by obervation. :)
C.M.C. "Drakon" Cunningham

Writer, WCIII/IV junkie, one-time Freelancer hotshot, and uh... quaintly eccentric.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The problem with status bars is that they give people false expectations. If everything reads 90% people think that the mod will be out in a couple of weeks and they don't realise that 10% bug testing can take months of work to complete.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

If you don't get that, Knarfe, it's called Forever because it's taking Forever to make ;). I think this is the 8th year it's been in production.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Drakon

• Thud-Wielding Menace
That's a good point... and I've seen with a few FL projects that sometimes that 10% that is getting rid of bugs can take a lot more than a couple months. :ick:

Oh well, it is what it is, and as long you as you guys have an upbeat, positive outlook on the progress being made then it's all good. As for Nukem... 8 years is a long time. I hope Saga's to the point now where the team invisions the release as happening in months, not years. ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 04:47:46 pm by Drakon »
C.M.C. "Drakon" Cunningham

Writer, WCIII/IV junkie, one-time Freelancer hotshot, and uh... quaintly eccentric.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
The problem with status bars is that they give people false expectations. If everything reads 90% people think that the mod will be out in a couple of weeks and they don't realise that 10% bug testing can take months of work to complete.

Correct. :)

If you don't get that, Knarfe, it's called Forever because it's taking Forever to make ;). I think this is the 8th year it's been in production.

To be honest, Saga has been around since 2000. Back then, we were making a mod for Conquest: Frontier Wars. As the game proved to be almost unmodable, we switched to Freespace 2 (2002). However, Saga project, as you know it today, exists since 2004.

It is always difficult to give an estimate release day. You have to keep in mind, that, although a tremendous amount of works has been done, we are still short of a few ships models. We need to program another 20-30 missions (depending on how many will have to go). Support for new SCP features has to be implemented as well. I could go on and on.

It is very unlikely that there game will be released this year. That would be a real miracle.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I have Conquest: Frontier Wars. I think that game is a bit clunky. But maybe its cause i played it in 2005 or sth.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

I didn´t expect a 2007 release but hope to see the final version next year! I even hope to see the final version of the BSG BRL-mod this year btw.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I have Conquest: Frontier Wars. I think that game is a bit clunky. But maybe its cause i played it in 2005 or sth.

It is a good game. In my oppinion it is better than Starcraft, but then again, it is just my oppinion :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!

It is a good game. In my oppinion it is better than Starcraft, but then again, it is just my oppinion :)

I like it cause its a space empire simulator, but i get a bit messed up when i get massive space battles. Although I find ramming capital ships down the enemy's backfield works just fine in winning them.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I prefere Starcraft over Conquest but I liked the battles between terran ships in Conquest multiplayer. Its about what I thought WC battles could look like. Also it got these nice jumpoints and every other WC elements.

Still when it comes to big nice looking spacebattles between capital ships I still like to play Nexus.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I didn´t expect a 2007 release but hope to see the final version next year! I even hope to see the final version of the BSG BRL-mod this year btw.

I'd be happy if it's out next year!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
However, a Prologue update might be closer than you think.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not to mention that unlike BtRL the 3rd party mission designers have enough ships in the prologue to make several campaigns with ease.