Author Topic: Choppy Gameplay  (Read 2079 times)

Hey Tolwyn and fellow WC fans!

I'm new here, wanted to say what a freakin' amazing achievement this WC Saga is! So glad that the WC universe lives on through the community!

I was having some real issues in trying to get the game to run really smoothly. I just bought a new rig: 2.4 Ghz C2D E4600, 2GB RAM, 8800GT 512MB. So I was doubting it was my hardware that was giving me much trouble. I tried every command line switch in the configuration menu. I took the resolution down, I took it up, but still I was getting these glitches in the framerate. It would be flying at either 60FPS or 120FPS (depending on vertical sync setting) and then as a cap ship would pass by my view it would drop from 120 to like 97, but there was a noticeable "pause" in the framerate as it adjusted itself. FINALLY, I tried running the game in Windows 95 compatibility mode as a last ditch effort out of frustration. PRESTO! It worked.

Hope you find this link instead of scouring the net like I did, and coming up empty!

Cheers!

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Mh your Rig shouldn't have any problems with playing the game.
What OS are you running? XP, XP64, Vista? Vista is known to have some issues.
Also are you using DX or OpenGL? DX isn't supported anymore so you shouldn't use it.
For anything else I haven't noticed anykind of these problems.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It wouldn't surprise me if win 95 compatibility mode automatically set the processor affinity. In which case it would be sorting out your problem as a side effect.

Try setting it back to normal, running the game and then setting the processor affinity using the task manager instead. If it is the processor affinity I believe that the problem is fixed in 3.6.10.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hey karajorma

Genius! It worked... Did it perhaps have something to do with my processor being a dual core and the affinity switching between the 2 cores? I'm using 3.6.10 and its running like a dream...

Thanks for your guys help

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep. I suspect that exactly that was the problem.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]