Author Topic: Possability of fan made ships for Saga mission builder?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Light

Possability of fan made ships for Saga mission builder?
I was just thinking about all of those fan made ships used in the various Freespace universe mods and a thought occurred to me. That being, at one time, Wing Commander had a lot of fan designs both as 3D models or schematics and with there own specifications. For example some of the old Aces Club designs like the TCS Fenris class carrier, TCS Direwolf class cruiser, or the Osprey and Thrakhath class fighters. When looking at what the Saga team in conjunction with the SCP have achieved it seems like the ability to bring to life all those old fan ships is now a possibility. Is it possible that the Saga/SCP platform could be a starting point to generate the kind of fan made campaigns in the WC universe that we have seen out of the FreeSpace community? It seems unfortunate that at this time Wing Commander no longer has the size of a following that it did in the 90's given the tools that are now available.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Possability of fan made ships for Saga mission builder?
Sure. There was already a fan-made campaign using the Saga Prologue as a base (see here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=62270.0 ), so doing the same thing once the full WCS is released certainly is possible.
As for converting custom ships, that too should be possible, as long as the models can be exported into something that the tools needed to get models into FreeSpace can understand.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Possability of fan made ships for Saga mission builder?
Scooby Doo is making really good ships for WCS, based on various designs from WC games, fan designs, Privateer designs and more (there's even a fighter based on Tom Clancy's vision of Nighthawk). He made a lot of models and currently works on new verisions of them, which will better fit into WCSaga.