Author Topic: What Happened to HADES COMBINE? Final Explanation and our future.  (Read 23690 times)

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Re: What Happened to HADES COMBINE? Final Explanation and our future.
Looking forward to it.  Archive.org shows that this was probably one of the best asset resources for HLP as a whole, sorry I missed it.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
I have one, and i believe i still have the means to upload it. Will repost with results in a few hours tops.
So... any news? Hows the rebuilding going?
The concept is there, and i have been experimenting with ideas, however i lack the skill needed to write extensive php, and no webportal I've found really provides what i was looking for.

Edit: Found a 500mb rar of the HC backup. Uploading it at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 03:31:16 pm by Krackers87 »
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I've already been uploading my backup to FSMods ;)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Well, heres the downloads file section packaged into .rar from what was sitting on my HD
Part 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VFYXNT04
Part 2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3TWJEBV1
Part 3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I4JVXC0V
Part 4: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TV6GN10I

Edit: For those interested in what i was hoping to accomplish, was to revive HC in the form of a collaborative mods project site, where mods no matter how small could be made open source, in a similar fashion the way linux is distributed and contributed to freely.

This project would have pages for each mod, such as a single fighter, where lets say a 2d artist cam and uploaded a sketch or schematic type drawing, starting the project off, then members would be able to download the current files, then upload their changes, modifications or additions as a new version, that would sit next to the old revision, similar to how wikipedia handles their old edits system. This way it keeps someone from overwriting the previous work if some duchebag comes along, or any kind of error occurs during the upload.

So lets say a 2d design artist uploads their schematic, preferably high definition images;
Next a 3d modeler comes along and lays out the basic groundwork, taking those images and crafting the general model out of it, then uploads it next to the basic schematic pictures.
several other 3d modelers come along, downloading the previously uploaded basic model, adding bits or changes they think works with the model. A vote system can help suggest which uploaded versions should continue to be worked on if there are conflicting changes.
2d design artists can then begin contributing skinning and UV wrapping, with people offering whatever they are best at.
Scripters can do their bit, and so on and so forth..

Each project would also have a mini forum or at the very least, comments section to allow contributors or interested parties to contribute or discuss suggestions. Also perhaps a voting system to determine whether different aspects or stages can be considered in a final or acceptable condition. This wouldn't prevent accessing the older revisions however, its more of a thermometer type of deal, to suggest what the collective opinion is on what needs to be worked on next to streamline time spent.

This is kind of my dead end, where i cannot find worthwhile web portals that would support something like this, even with 3rd party addons, and this kind of thing is certainly out of my coding ability.

Edit 2: The core idea of this was meant to solve some of the problems i remember plaguing the general growth of various mods of different sizes stalling or taking vast amounts of time to reach a finished state, either due to individual abilities or outside circumstance and what have you. Besides, another excuse for many a delay, including my own procrastination on generally most everything Ive tried to do here, is having RL issues, which we all have, and leaves many of our free stretches of time short and sporadic. To combat this limited free modding time availability problem, this project would allow minor contributions to be made frequently and by many, much in the way torrents distribute different pieces to many computers for the purposes of channeling massive bandwidth with many individual low bandwidth computers more efficiently.

If i could find people who could help make this a possibility i have the time and the server.

Edit 3:

So its new news? And now that means Ihave to read that big first megapost... sigh
You may have suffered, but perhaps others may be saved your fate. Compacted old news for safety purposes.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:23:28 pm by Krackers87 »
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

well listen method man

I think the open source model building might just work on freespacemods- the site has the ability to create categories/sections/etc, to upload lots of models, and there is a comments section and screenshot available for each mod.

If each model got it's own category until finished (such as "GTF Whatever"; similar to the "Fighters", "Bombers", "Small combat vessels", etc), with each newer version being uploaded to said category, this stuff will work. When the model gets finished it could get moved to the proper downloads section, and the incomplete version could be either archived or deleted- along with it's developing category.

Let's see Swantz's opinion about this though.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
The idea would require massive alteration of core e107 components, or the writing of a fairly extensive plugin, if possible. Kracker's idea basically sounds like a public mini-svn for each project. I would do it if I had the time or PHP skills. Maybe I could pitch the idea to someone I know who most certainly does have the PHP skill, he's been dying to work on something lately anyway.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I can advise on a PHP project but any time I'm doing actual PHP work for HLP it's already going towards another project.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

<3 ;D
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Maybe I could pitch the idea to someone I know who most certainly does have the PHP skill, he's been dying to work on something lately anyway.

<3 ;D

You serious? :confused:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
If I can get up with the guy I know, or even better, if QD and chief want to work on this idea; I am serious.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually QD was referring to the project I'm already working on I believe, not this one.

Exactly! :)
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
If I can get up with the guy I know, or even better, if QD and chief want to work on this idea; I am serious.

That would be quite awesome, again, i have server space on reserve, unless the plan is to host it on fsmods

well listen method man

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
*bump*

Well, the current HC status seems to be that everything in this thread is unavailable again.  I still have my backup, does anything from the old archive need to be uploaded again?

Also, as far as collaborative modeling goes, just using Github might make sense for something like that.  The branching system might work nicely for all the various aspects that go into creating a model and it has a lot of other builtin collaboration features.  I still don't have time to do any PHP work for something like this though.