Poll

Scary or not?

Give me a pillow to hide behind...
9 (25%)
Lights down, surround sound up, hit me!
27 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: January 04, 2003, 05:27:27 am

Author Topic: Movie Tastes  (Read 15600 times)

Offline Levyathan

• That that guy.
Originally posted by venom2506
2) I do indeed consider graphics an important factor, whats wrong with that? Try playing a VGA game on a 21" and come back to me ( very funny, I can actually draw the outlines of the pixels on the screen :doubt: ).

Very well then. How long it'll take you to consider FreeSpace 2 unplayable? Someday it'll be as old compared to that time's standards as Shock 1 is compared to today's standards.
The plain simple reason is that I got it from a CD cover ( so I should still have it somewhere ) and I couldn't figure the UI out, and alt-tabbing the game every ten seconds just to check in a txt how to swing a stupid metal bar, well, no thanks.

Well, some people do indeed consider pressing the mouse button a confusing control.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
if you want to play stupîd with me, don't expect me to reply.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I like how people try to pass off as "shallow" the  preference for good graphics, particularly since computer gaming is 90% shallow. It's like watching a Sylvester Stallone movie, and saying "Yes, but the explosions shouldn't be the only criteria you go on! Personally, I prefer Rambo II for the engaging plot, and the others are merely in poor taste." Games, none of them are Shakespeare. They aren't even Steven King, with a few notable exceptions- none of which are shooters or space sims. If you're gonna be a culture snob, games are NOT the medium to do it in. Go learn about coffee tables or something.

But anyway.

Offline 01010

Originally posted by StrykeIX
I like how people try to pass off as "shallow" the  preference for good graphics, particularly since computer gaming is 90% shallow. It's like watching a Sylvester Stallone movie, and saying "Yes, but the explosions shouldn't be the only criteria you go on! Personally, I prefer Rambo II for the engaging plot, and the others are merely in poor taste." Games, none of them are Shakespeare. They aren't even Steven King, with a few notable exceptions- none of which are shooters or space sims. If you're gonna be a culture snob, games are NOT the medium to do it in. Go learn about coffee tables or something.

But anyway.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm something..... ::drools::
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Try playing a VGA game on a 21" and come back to me

I just did that today, in fact. :D (been playing through Doom 2 again) I have always been a true old games fanatic and don't care one bit about pixellated graphics, sound driver quirks or weird interfaces, and I actually use keyboard-only in FPS games even today. :D

Anyway, I cannot get the first game to work correctly here due to EMS issues, so I am going to give the second one a shot. Didn't have any time last night (too busy with PI) but I might be able to try out that demo tonight instead.

BTW the HOTU servers are slow, despite the rest of the site being very good. I got a maximum of around 11k/sec... :doubt: (as opposed to 160 average from other sites)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2003, 04:23:30 pm by 296 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by CP5670
I have always been a true old games fanatic and don't care about pixellated graphics, sound driver quirks or weird interfaces one bit

Me too.  Yay for old games!  Sierra EGA adventure games, very fun. :yes: :cool:

Offline Levyathan

• That that guy.
I like how people try to pass off as "shallow" the  preference for good graphics, particularly since computer gaming is 90% shallow. [...] If you're gonna be a culture snob, games are NOT the medium to do it in.

It's not about being a culture snob. It's not about good graphics being bad. It's simply about not judging a book by its cover. I'd take System Shock over Unreal Tournament 2003 any day.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Anyway, I cannot get the first game to work correctly here due to EMS issues, so I am going to give the second one a shot.  

meh, EMS :shaking:
"has horrible memories of tweakings to make XWing work"

And Levyathan, I did gave the game its chance, the pb is I couldn't get the desire to play it. But if that can please you, I love a game that hardly anybody knows, it's called Shadow of the Horned Rat ( no, it's not a joke, shut up :p ), a RTS ( first 3D RTS as far as I know, btw ) based on the Wrahammer Universe. It's ugly as hell, the UI is the crappiest one could have ever thought of, but for some reason I love that game, I still play it occasionaly, and the damn thing even managed to make me try the real tabletop game ( and now I've spent fortunes for stupid metal and plastic figurines, and paint pots ).
If you read me again, all the things I said about SS1 started with "I". that means those opinions engaged only one person: myself. But you don't take opinions against the game you like better than I do for Thief, and as I'm a bit stuborn, I call this a day, coz I don't like arguments ( I have way enough arguments with Mikhael and Killmenow :lol: )
SCREW CANON!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

But anyway.

You sir, are my damn hero.  HERO, I say. :D

From Venom:

...coz I don't like arguments ( I have way enough arguments with Mikhael and Killmenow)

You know you love every moment of it. ;)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
I like how people try to pass off as "shallow" the  preference for good graphics, particularly since computer gaming is 90% shallow. It's like watching a Sylvester Stallone movie, and saying "Yes, but the explosions shouldn't be the only criteria you go on!
Let's all give Stryke a big hand for demonstrating the classic debate fallacy known as the "straw man". In other words, intentionally taking your opponent's argument, twisting it into an obviously flawed state, then knocking it down.

To reuse the cinematic analogy, it's like refusing to watch Citizen Kane (or Psycho, Casablanca, et al) because it's in black and white. Graphics are only the medium... the gameplay is the message.

Regarding getting SS1 to run under modern OS's--
The System Shock FAQ (SS1 & SS2 info)
Search the TTLG Forums

And for SS2... it's very important that you install the patch before playing.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I just did that today, in fact. :D (been playing through Doom 2 again) I have always been a true old games fanatic and don't care one bit about pixellated graphics, sound driver quirks or weird interfaces, and I actually use keyboard-only in FPS games even today. :D

Anyway, I cannot get the first game to work correctly here due to EMS issues, so I am going to give the second one a shot. Didn't have any time last night (too busy with PI) but I might be able to try out that demo tonight instead.

BTW the HOTU servers are slow, despite the rest of the site being very good. I got a maximum of around 11k/sec... :doubt: (as opposed to 160 average from other sites)

Heheheh, EMS. How much fun I've had tinkering with that. :lol: As for only 11k/sec... well, that'll be no problem for my little dialup modem. ;)

I'm familiar with that, Zeronet... but worse. I had MDK1, then bought MDK2... but then I lost MDK1. So I got a dual-pack with MDK1 & 2 in it... after which I found MDK1 again. :rolleyes: (I later gave the dual-pack to a friend for his birthday.)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

I love a game that hardly anybody knows, it's called Shadow of the Horned Rat ( no, it's not a joke, shut up :p )

I know that, but I only played the demo.

I agree with ZB, the gameplay is what matters in a game, though I wouldn't object to good graphics.

Also, some of us started playing computer games 2 decades ago and we have some good memories from old games, that relied on their gameplay, memories that sometimes can cloud our judgement.
For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
-Blaise Pascal

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man

and I actually use keyboard-only in FPS games even today. :D

Hehe

;)
Got Ether?

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Zeronet

Hehe

;)

:lol:
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by Zeronet

Hehe

;)

:lol::lol::lol:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
:lol:

Actually, I should probably be insulted by that, since I use the keyboard whenever I can avoid the mouse. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Setekh
Hmmm, does anyone sell the SSOTY Edition of FS2 online?

Dude, have someone burn and ship you a copy. Perfecty legal, even if you didn't previously own the game.

...And you of all people should be quite aware that We Know Where You Live! :D

Originally posted by Snakeseyes
Also, some of us started playing computer games 2 decades ago and we have some good memories from old games, that relied on their gameplay, memories that sometimes can cloud our judgement.

*looks at Snakeseyes' location*

And some of us can't legally buy computer games anymore, so we have to rely on the old games in the cupboard. ;) :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Sandwich

Dude, have someone burn and ship you a copy. Perfecty legal, even if you didn't previously own the game.

no it's not. source code doesn't mean the game is free now :p there' still copyrighted art, etc, in  it.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The original FS2 license agreement says that you can make copies to give to your friends and acquaintances. :nod: