Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3028428 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.
Me too. 181SE is impossible to find parts for in the UK which is strange as it was the saw of choice for the royal engineers for years.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

My doggu being silly in snow! First real snowfall here in a long while, solid foot outside right now which makes me so very happy
Not joking, I miss snow that I don't have to pay to see
"No"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Mom calls me and says she's getting some sort of burning smell from around their computer setup.  I go in and sniff around, and it smells for all the world like it's coming from the PSU.  I'll take the thing out and give it a nice blast of compressed air at least, but everything I'm reading strongly suggests to not **** around and just replace it, so looks like I get to do that.  Kind of surprised, since although the machine is a several-year-old Dell, that PSU is a legit Antec 500W model I put in a few years into the machine's lifetime when the original Dell one crapped out.  Meanwhile I have an 11-year-old Dell with its original PSU that still boots just fine last time I tried it.  Hardware's weird.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Mom calls me and says she's getting some sort of burning smell from around their computer setup.  I go in and sniff around, and it smells for all the world like it's coming from the PSU.  I'll take the thing out and give it a nice blast of compressed air at least, but everything I'm reading strongly suggests to not **** around and just replace it, so looks like I get to do that.  Kind of surprised, since although the machine is a several-year-old Dell, that PSU is a legit Antec 500W model I put in a few years into the machine's lifetime when the original Dell one crapped out.  Meanwhile I have an 11-year-old Dell with its original PSU that still boots just fine last time I tried it.  Hardware's weird.

Could be a capacitor or an IC that burned out.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Finally picked out a car.  Now if I could just muster the energy after getting off third shift to actually go buy it.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Most likely.  TIL that one can test a PSU without hooking it up to any components by inserting a bent paper clip (wrapped in electrical tape if you're not dumb) between the power-on and ground slots of the main connector.  The smell isn't as strong after some blasts of compressed air, but it's still there to some extent, so I figure I should replace it just to be safe.  I do have to risk powering the system for a bit though, since my mom has some bills due and needs access, so fingers crossed it holds up for that.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Most likely.  TIL that one can test a PSU without hooking it up to any components by inserting a bent paper clip (wrapped in electrical tape if you're not dumb) between the power-on and ground slots of the main connector.  The smell isn't as strong after some blasts of compressed air, but it's still there to some extent, so I figure I should replace it just to be safe.  I do have to risk powering the system for a bit though, since my mom has some bills due and needs access, so fingers crossed it holds up for that.

Find your nearest electronics hacker/engineer and donate it to them. They'll tell you what's wrong with it the next time you see them, and if they're generous they'll give it back.
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Trust me, I'd love to if I knew absolutely anyone with those particular talents.

Update: I had to power the thing on for my mom to do trivial little things like pay the mortgage bill.  I'm sitting in there sweating while she's dealing with some nonsense like having email access issues because she apparently tried to reset her password or something, and I'm noticing the smell growing ever-stronger from the PSU that's now sitting outside the case, and then all of a sudden the system powers off and I'm like LOLNOPE and immediately unplug the hell out of the thing.  As far as I can tell nothing shorted, and at the very least I have their HDD safely mounted in my system.  Newegg time, I guess.  I'm sure as hell not getting another Antec after this debacle; guess I'll go with an EVGA since that's what I'm running in my build.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
A little annoyed. My coworker passed his CDL test and when he went to get his license they slapped him with the "O" or No fifth wheel restriction which mine didn't have.  He complained enough to the instructor who made some calls and found out that mine were given in error and now have to be redone to include the restriction as well.

That restriction doesn't effect me at all and I will probably never drive a fifth wheel truck but it is annoying. Mostly because the restriction was only made to make the government more money.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Trust me, I'd love to if I knew absolutely anyone with those particular talents.

Update: I had to power the thing on for my mom to do trivial little things like pay the mortgage bill.  I'm sitting in there sweating while she's dealing with some nonsense like having email access issues because she apparently tried to reset her password or something, and I'm noticing the smell growing ever-stronger from the PSU that's now sitting outside the case, and then all of a sudden the system powers off and I'm like LOLNOPE and immediately unplug the hell out of the thing.  As far as I can tell nothing shorted, and at the very least I have their HDD safely mounted in my system.  Newegg time, I guess.  I'm sure as hell not getting another Antec after this debacle; guess I'll go with an EVGA since that's what I'm running in my build.

Power supplies are much safer than lithium batteries, if a component blows up inside the thing, it won't catch fire.

By the sounds of it, it's just a bad capacitor.
chief1983

------------

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I wasn't worried nearly so much about it catching on fire as it possibly frying other components in the case.  As it stands I have an order in for a replacement EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze that's going to wind up being all of $30 after a rebate, which is sweet.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I want a GTX 1070, but 6 months later and prices are STILL above MSRP.  This is insane.  I'm tempted to go back to AMD.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I want a GTX 1070, but 6 months later and prices are STILL above MSRP.  This is insane.  I'm tempted to go back to AMD.

You could just get a 1060 instead. On par with the 970, yet holds 6GB instead of 3.5+.5, while also being cheaper
"No"

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Finally quit my job.

Our supervisor proved to be a dick and caused the remaining assistants to quit in protest after announcing a gender-based quota for our department, then again the entire thing shoulda been killed after they brought in some yough-un with an MBA and San Fran grin of idiocy. It's only a matter of time before that kid gets sacked (or the company sued) after several older workers protested being phased out.

Sucks when you watch the workplace disintegrate into petty squabbling, but I'd rather leave with a shred of dignity than be forced to deal with some spoiled brat from the West Coast.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Cutting your losses is always prudent
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
My car has made it ashore, now it just needs to get from the port to the dealer.  For some reason they brought it into Boston instead of the enormous Port Norfolk a stone's throw down the road from here.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Welp, back to looking for a job XD

Sad to see my old workplace go down in flames, but it's never a good idea to phase out the most experienced workers and replace them with complete newbies. tl;dr the new supervisor made a critical blunder by trying to axe the experienced old cranks, and these are men and women who managed the office for over 15 years... you'd think it would make sense to keep some on to train the new cannon fodder.

I think after this escapade I'll look into the blue collar jobs and my retail roots.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm doing the same thing. Some people I trusted at my old place really backstabbed me and threw me under the bus. Truly the most extreme examples I've ever seen of wolves in sheep's clothing, and being the star performer apparently made me a target. I should be able to find a better job than that anyway, although it will take some time and effort.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Stomach "flu" is the absolute ****ing worst.  That is all.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Had it once.  Luckily, the tub was within puking distance to the toilet.