Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3026331 times)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.
After nearly 13 years of faithful service, I am about to shut down my first computer build for the last time.  Athlon X2 3800+, DFI LanParty UT Socket 939 NF4 motherboard (modded to NF4 Ultra to enable SLI, which i never used), 2 GB Patriot DDR RAM, Windows XP.  I over-paid for the motherboard and original OCZ RAM, since they were both designed for overclocking which I rarely did; I should have saved money on those and bought a better GPU than the original 6600GT. 

Several years ago when I upgraded to a Core2 Duo, I dropped the AMD components and original PSU into a new case with a new hard drive and GPU to replace my wife's Windows 98 Dell.  I just recently upgraded again to a Core i5-6600K and 16 Gb DDR4, and I offered to give my wife the Core2 setup.  She asked why she always got the hand-me-downs, so we got her a Pentium G4560 (the cheapest dual core hyperthreaded one), a B250 motherboard, and 8 Gb DDR4.  Oh, and Windows 10.

I'm now considering getting a new case for me, and dropping my Core2 parts back into the old case and giving it to the kids.  Ore maybe making it into a NAS/media server.  I dunno.  I just hate letting parts that still work go to waste.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Why did this get unstickied?

The glue's shelf-life expired after about nine years, apparently.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
*digs around for a fresh glue stick*

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I think it happened while handling my phone  :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I think it happened while handling my phone  :lol:

Colonol Solvent....  :P

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
After nearly 13 years of faithful service, I am about to shut down my first computer build for the last time.  Athlon X2 3800+, DFI LanParty UT Socket 939 NF4 motherboard (modded to NF4 Ultra to enable SLI, which i never used), 2 GB Patriot DDR RAM, Windows XP.  I over-paid for the motherboard and original OCZ RAM, since they were both designed for overclocking which I rarely did; I should have saved money on those and bought a better GPU than the original 6600GT. 

Several years ago when I upgraded to a Core2 Duo, I dropped the AMD components and original PSU into a new case with a new hard drive and GPU to replace my wife's Windows 98 Dell.  I just recently upgraded again to a Core i5-6600K and 16 Gb DDR4, and I offered to give my wife the Core2 setup.  She asked why she always got the hand-me-downs, so we got her a Pentium G4560 (the cheapest dual core hyperthreaded one), a B250 motherboard, and 8 Gb DDR4.  Oh, and Windows 10.

I'm now considering getting a new case for me, and dropping my Core2 parts back into the old case and giving it to the kids.  Ore maybe making it into a NAS/media server.  I dunno.  I just hate letting parts that still work go to waste.

Mine gets replaced tomorrow. I didn't buy a more powerful one, it was just cheaper to buy a new one that add a bigger hard drive to this one. I'm afraid that this hard drive is about to crash and I need a much bigger hard drive for all the pictures on it. The thing made it ten years.

Don't need a more powerful build. The core2duo is plenty to run Trophy Hunter 2003 my son plays. My gaming days are long gone.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:50:08 pm by WeatherOp »
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I broke my hip yesterday. It hurt like ****.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I broke my hip yesterday. It hurt like ****.

:shaking:

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Requal exam on Monday.  Going in tomorrow to finish studying.  Have about half of my material left, and it's the hardest half.  Of course the project team wanted me to come stand watch again tomorrow instead.  **** those guys, stop planning **** to happen on the weekend when we're not adequately manned for what we're SUPPOSED to cover and then complain when there's not enough people.  I heard through the grape vine that the boss is mad I didn't even dignify his request with a "no" response.  The ship leaves in July (probably later).  They've pretty much told us no more weekends off for the project.

This exam covers the same material we spent 8 months covering in initial qual, and this time around we had 6 weeks of 'class' followed by 4 days of study time.  Actually, there's MORE material on this one, because management and our 'oversight' organizations are retards and their solution for every problem is "add that to the requal class".  Was the **** that went wrong our job in the first place?  Who cares, our problem now. :banghead:
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Had my first car accident this morning.  Everyone involved is fine with no injuries, but now I have to find a new car.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
You know it is incredibly frustrating knowing that you are a state certified operator and try to be nice, yet get ignored over the water quality of the system where your home and family are at.

Looks like I'm headed to the board meeting to blow some doors off if something isn't done about it this week
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Why am I such a social idiot.  I know what I want/need to do.  Can't make myself do it.   :banghead:
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Went in town with friends to see Kodo (Japanese Taiko Drumming)at Symphony Hall.  It was very awesome and would recommend if you like percussion.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
I am currently "rented" to a one construction yard to document the piping by drawing them on paper by hand (well as lines in axonometric projection but anyway).

Kind of nice change of pace from the normal office work I guess. The only downside is that it's a 1,5h drive here... so it takes me 3h every day just to travel. *geh*
Habeeb it...

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Finally got my Chlamydia cleared up.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

His first post in over a month, as well.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
At least we know what he was doing...

In other news, Westminster attacked.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Though pretty ineffectively, on the whole. It's really a situation where the press are going to do most of the terrorists' work for them.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.