Author Topic: "The Predators"  (Read 6916 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm unconvinced that a proper military would do well vs predators. I mean, they're invisible. Mostly.

No amount of invisiblity saves you when over 300,000 MLRS bomblets drop on your posistion exterminating all living things for several acres.

The Steel Rain will find you if you fight, by no other means then the proverbial "flaming datum" when you kill something.

Seriously, the amount of destruction we're capable of, even with only conventional weapons, makes the power of many gods look like a party trick. The Greek and Roman war gods would **** themselves when dealing with modern artillery. The Gotterdammerung is a drop in the bucket compared to 73 Easting.

Yeah, but...living things exhibit a frightening tendency to survive these sorts of barrages when properly prepared.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
The thing about the shoulder cannons is they "appear" to be short ranged.  Practically speaking, a plasma weapons range is going to be very limited without a continuous fire mode ala where there is a constant stream of plasma coming from the weapon barrel(IE a beam cannon) because the range would be limited by how fast the heat bleeds away.  Not to mention the first time you fire it, you melt your face also.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
1. No Governator.

2. A chick Spec Ops.

3. That goofy looking lead guy (I keep forgetting that actors name)

I sense fail coming.

Speaking of which, we could send in marines to get rid of preddies. But not the regular ones. Or the colonial ones.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline mxlm

But then the preddies will unleash the Tyrnaids xenomorphs and that's no good for anyone.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I'm unconvinced that a proper military would do well vs predators. I mean, they're invisible. Mostly.

The Colonial Marines could, maybe, but that's because they have magic tech.

Somthin' un-nice out there can we get eyes on the area?

*snip*

Nuthin left but dreadlocks, teeth and eyeballs!

They have spaceships you know. Given that they've been able to miniaturize a plasma cannon to fit on a shoulder, that should say something as to how powerful their ship mounted weapons would be.

The thing about the shoulder cannons is they "appear" to be short ranged.  Practically speaking, a plasma weapons range is going to be very limited without a continuous fire mode ala where there is a constant stream of plasma coming from the weapon barrel(IE a beam cannon) because the range would be limited by how fast the heat bleeds away.  Not to mention the first time you fire it, you melt your face also.

They do have spearguns with lethally sharp spears. There's also the homing disc if it was thrown hard enough.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
But then the preddies will unleash the Tyrnaids xenomorphs and that's no good for anyone.

Have you no faith in the Immortal God-Emperor? HERETIC!

Let the Xenos come. They shall fall beneath our bolts! Spehs Marinz! Battle Brothas! We shall discend upon them in metal bawksez! We shall drive them before us! We are teh Emprahs Fury!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester

Predator technology is evidently more advanced than that. They exceed our current understanding of physics for one (and only one) very convincing reason: They're in a movie, not a documentary on plasma technology!
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action

Have you no faith in the Immortal God-Emperor? HERETIC!

Let the Xenos come. They shall fall beneath our bolts! Spehs Marinz! Battle Brothas! We shall discend upon them in metal bawksez! We shall drive them before us! We are teh Emprahs Fury!
That would be a good matchup.  A better matchup would be the Eldar and the Preds.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline mxlm

I would expect the eldar to pwnzor the preds, seeing as they have bother moar bettar technology and magic. Though my knowledge of 40k comes from Dawn of War and a handful of novels, so maybe they're less equipped to deal with invisibility than I think they are.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Invisibility dealing with is surprisingly limited in 40k.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

That is true.

If you wanted to be sure you killed the Predator, while we're on the subject of 40k, you could always whip out the handy-dandy virus bomb. Not saying that would be too good for other people though.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, I don't know about the Eldar,  but the SM's would probably level the entire area from orbit.  They're real big on overkill.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, I don't know about the Eldar,  but the SM's would probably level the entire area from orbit.  They're real big on overkill.

:yes:

Hence the virus bomb. But then again, the first time a lightning bolt struck, the entire planet would go up in a gigantic fireball. oops :lol:

The eldar would probably figure out a way to stuff the Predator in some prison in the Warp.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Hence the virus bomb. But then again, the first time a lightning bolt struck, the entire planet would go up in a gigantic fireball. oops :lol:

The eldar would probably figure out a way to stuff the Predator in some prison in the Warp.
I was thinking surface bombardment cannons, total destruction over a controlled area.

Both the Imperium and the Eldar have a counter to Predators: Eldar have Eldrad and the Imperium has Creed.  Eldrad will have some ridiculously dickish plan already prepared due to his prescience and him anticipating the arrival of the Predator, including every move he makes, and Creed will make use of his Tactical Genius and will have hidden Baneblades and other tanks throughout the terrain.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I think my brain melted a bit from being linked to 4chan, but thank God I had my NoScript shields up!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
You were not linked to 4chan.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

I can link to 4chan (/tg/ actually, so not that bad if you can stand nerd rage), and I sort of have to since it is where the Creed meme started.

Somewhat safe for work.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Pffft...even the lousiest chapter would cream predators.

But methinks the Angry Marines would be best for that.
"POWERFEET ARE FOR KICKING PUSSIES IN THE ASS!!!"