Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305269 times)

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
I still have to obtain and watch 2nd GiG first. I have high hopes considering how much I enjoyed the first series.

I just finished watching Shangri-La. My overall score: 5/10 - it was not bad, but could have been much better.

Setting: Quite interesting. Near future; global warming; huge, clean city in the sky; overgrown poison forests slowly taking over the few remaining surface settlements; a world economy literally based on carbon credits. Also the huge clean city is terribly sinister. Also there's some sort of weird god thing keeping it intact, or something. Also there's a prophecy. There's always a prophecy.

Story: Convoluted. Lots of stuff happens, much of it only slightly related to the main plot. Right now, I can't really remember what much happened in the first half of the series. It takes a while to start coming together, but when it does... it's still hard to make a coherent statement about. When the climax of the story is almost literally:
Spoiler:
"a wizard did it"
then there's trouble. Ah, but such is the way these series go sometimes. It's interesting enough to move the characters along to the end, and the characters are what this is about.

Characters: Many and varied, some are fairly deep, and a good few are grating for no reason.
Karin, Kuniko, Kunihito, and Sayoko were characters I liked, with motivations, a decent bit of depth, strength, flaws, and character arcs.
Some other "main" characters were good enough, but not spectacular either way.
Many supporting characters got enough screen time of their own and mini-arcs, and generally were decent.
Some other supporting characters were just annoying (Akihibara guys), some were unpleasant (Hiruko communicates entirely by screams and seems to serve no real purpose), and some didn't really do much outstanding, though were pleasant enough.
And finally, some main characters were gratingly bad: Ryoko redefines "cartoonishly evil" and seems to be a pale, shallow imitation of Delphine from Last Exile; Momoko seems to have been specifically engineered to be as offensive and unlikeable as possible to as many different people as possible.

Overall, there's enough variety in things going on that there's bound to be something worthwhile. Unfortunately, that variety is bound to include some things that are less worthwhile to you. And if any one, large, component of the show bugs you, then it could easily spoil the whole thing.

Anyway. Next up: Continuing with Girls und Panzer, and will begin... Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (aieee, 52 episodes!?)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:51:02 am by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I have mostly quit watching anime altogether. Bottom line is, they suck for various reasons. Hence I've been mostly reading manga. Only anime worth watching are those who follow original source faithfully and have decent enough budget to carry on to the end, without cutting corners. Of course there are some exceptions, but they seem to be really rare these days.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
how about the ones based on light novels?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I have mostly quit watching anime altogether. Bottom line is, they suck for various reasons. Hence I've been mostly reading manga. Only anime worth watching are those who follow original source faithfully and have decent enough budget to carry on to the end, without cutting corners. Of course there are some exceptions, but they seem to be really rare these days.

You'll love Monster then.

It's faithful (too much IMHO) to the source material since the director behind the anime was obsessed with following the manga, and so he did... frame by frame!
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Monster was one of the best series' I've watched. If I had funds for such things, it would be a series worth getting a hard copy of. Unfortunately getting the whole of the series seems not to be an option for english-speaking audiences (well, last time I checked). However, the dub (which is very good - I never bothered to find the subtitled version) is quite easy to look up, and you should most definitely do so.

My principal complaint with just starting the series would have been that it noticeably sounds like writing within a manga, rather than a more natural script. That element fades away fairly quickly, however.

...There are a few other more amusing things to note, if you care to do so. I recall a few scenes where the protagonist is reading a book (written in german) going from right to left. It's quite an amusing and forgivable oversight on part of the animators, but for all the detail placed into the series, it is quite ironic. But yeah, watch Monster. :p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
how about the ones based on light novels?
Makes no difference whether source materials are light novels or manga. Same problems tend to apply to both.

While I don't mean you have to animate original source frame by frame, but most anime tend to cut away material that should have been animated or add their own filler for no good reason. They also may change small details here and there for whatever reason. Anime often also runs out of source material to animate if they are adapting manga or light novel that is still ongoing. You've seen results of that in Naruto, Bleach and whatever. Another shounen example is Beelzebub where anime completely and utterly screwed up the last arc that was animated. Of course manga is still ongoing and way past that arc now.

While many adaptations are indeed good, I've been disappointed so many times with anime after reading the same story in manga. Manga usually is able to convey story, characters, settings and much more better than anime does. Where anime obviously wins, is that it is animated, in color and has sounds and music. Thus much easier for general western audience to follow than manga.

Bottom line is, animating source material is lot of hard work and because anime industry likes milking money just as much as any other industry, quality of anime on average is rather bad. Might just as well read the original source instead, which almost always is better anyway.

Anime is at its best when it's anime original and not adapted from another source or when the source is finished. But since anime is more often than not treated as promotional material to the original source in Japan, this rarely happens.

You'll love Monster then.

It's faithful (too much IMHO) to the source material since the director behind the anime was obsessed with following the manga, and so he did... frame by frame!
Adaptation like that can be a little too extreme because director should also be responsible to produce animated adaptation that flows nicely in animated form. In any case, I did check out Monster when it originally aired, I didn't quite like it. It was long time ago, so maybe I should check it out again sometime.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I did say there were exceptions every now and then, one of those exceptions happens to be a recent anime called Kotoura-san. Three episodes have aired so far and I would urge you to watch the first three at the very least. Unless they drop the ball, this series should be quite exceptional and worth watching.

Edit: Then again, I can only say this because manga has not been translated so far. But I've read comparisons between manga and anime, and manga seems quite a bit heavier and darker than anime. Which again proves my point that anime is watered down way too much. Oh well...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:55:03 am by Fury »

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Last Exile.
Psycho-pass.
Kotoura-san.

that is all.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Just Psycho Pass, last episode was incredibly good.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Tamako Market feels like good KyoAni entertainment so far.

But the tightest show right now must be Inferno Cop.
Habeeb it...

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
A great movie is "Eve no Jikan" aka "The Time of Eve". An utterly brilliant movie, with a nice feel good ending :)

It deals with some pretty heavy, blade runner-esque stuff though
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
It's friday again. Which means that it's time for butts and robots again.
Habeeb it...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

That could be anything.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Finished Accel World and Sword Art Online.... and most of the translated SAO novels, probably start on the AW novels next.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle

That could be anything.

Vividred Operation and Robotics;Notes
Habeeb it...

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Just finished watching 'Kore wa Zombie: Of the Dead', and then stumbled across this. It makes me simultaneously wish to watch 'Girls Und Panzer' and (momentarily) proud of being Russian...Which is strange, seeing as I'm English.... :confused:
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I was wondering what to watch next. Thanks to the random wallpapers, I now know.

Also watched Rebuild of Evangelion over the weekend. It's more watchable than the series, but still utter crap.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Also watched Rebuild of Evangelion over the weekend. It's more watchable than the series, but still utter crap.
:yes:

As for myself, I finished watching Beast Machines. I never had the chance to do so when it aired. David Kaye's voice is always awesome.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Futurama! From start to finish! Don't ask me why!

Also finished watching Stargate Universe. Such a same it got cancelled after only two seasons. :blah: