Author Topic: British vets want to ban homeopathy in animals  (Read 2220 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
British vets want to ban homeopathy in animals
About 1,000 of the UK's vets have signed a petition calling for a ban on homeopathy being prescribed to animals.

The petition calls on the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons to stop vets from offering homeopathy on animal welfare grounds.

But the veterinary regulator says "it is difficult to envisage any justification" for a ban.

About one in seven practices offers some form of complementary therapy.

Figures suggest about 500 farmers and 40 vets are trained in homeopathy.

Danny Chambers, the Devon vet who started the petition on Change.org, said it had been signed by more than 1,000 British vets as well as others from around the world.

There are some 22,000 vets in the UK.

"We think vets these days should be offering 21st Century medicine," he told BBC News.

"It's been shown that homeopathy doesn't work, so it probably shouldn't be offered any more even if it is offered with good intentions."

More on the actual article but the main reason I had to post this was cause of this particular gem.

"Because if you ban homeopathy through veterinary surgeons, it will only go underground."

I do have to wonder what is the dreadful future this man envisions? Does he picture drug pushers on street corners asking people if they want to buy a homeopathic dog de-wormer? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: British vets want to ban homeopathy in animals
shhhhhh, you are disrupting my carefully laid plans to sell water for millions.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

If only homeopathic stuff only had water in it.... at least that would be harmless.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well the damage homeopathy does is that it prevents people from doing something that actually might work.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
It's always upsets me when treatment is given to those who cannot choose what or how they get it and it is something like this. Kids/pets are at the mercy of their parents/owners. It does kinda make me a little upset that there are pets suffering on some scale and a person is basically doing nothing.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
shhhhhh, you are disrupting my carefully laid plans to sell water for millions.

My ditch clippings herbal supplements will outsell your water.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah, but water is way cheaper. Count me in that deal, The_E.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
"I dunno, sometimes I think a trace solution of deadly nightshade or a statistically-negligible quantity of arsenic just... isn't enough."
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The French medical system should take a lesson from British vets.

Some friends of ours moved to France last year.  Instead of actual antibiotics if the infections are bacterial, or pain meds if viral (which they can't apparently buy Tylenol or Advil in children's formulations over the counter), their doctor has been prescribing (as in a honest-to-goodness real prescription) homeopathic remedies when their 4 year old has gotten ear infections.  The mom was a registered nurse in Canada, while dad is an engineer.  Neither is impressed.

"I dunno, sometimes I think a trace solution of deadly nightshade or a statistically-negligible quantity of arsenic just... isn't enough."

Ahahahahaha.  That video is awesome.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:26:13 pm by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

It's always upsets me when treatment is given to those who cannot choose what or how they get it and it is something like this. Kids/pets are at the mercy of their parents/owners. It does kinda make me a little upset that there are pets suffering on some scale and a person is basically doing nothing.

This makes me wonder, are animals suspectible to the placebo effect?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
From what I understand it can actually work for animals but only with prior conditioning. Without that, the animal has no reason to expect the placebo to make them feel any better.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think the best way to handle this would be for this to be legally treated as if no medication is being administered at all, so if there is some neglegence law on the book, that should be applied in this case. Otherwise if there is no legal compulsion for you to treat an animal's malady, I don't see why treating it with completely ineffective treatments should be considered worse.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together