Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 15161 times)

I have a good explanation for the Star Destroyer scene, which I think you'll find satisfying:

Please excuse the shabbiness of the shopping.

Offline Mika

I have a good explanation for the Star Destroyer scene, which I think you'll find satisfying:

:D

Now that gives me an idea! What we need is Rule The Waves shifted to the Star Wars universe.

Star Destroyer = King George class of its time
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
In a sense, the whole movie is about finding the weak spot to hit for massive damage in the Death Star. :D

Offline Mika

Also, don't know which one of the following would be more terrifying from Ackbar's mouth:

This?

Or this?
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline qwadtep

As a kid I always wondered why they didn't just shoot the "neck" between the main hull and the superstructure.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773

Oh how that brings back memories on the easy way to kill a star destroyer on Rogue Squadron 2 after the shields were down. Then also how annoying it was when you missed.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
One of my favorite bits of the Thrawn trilogy was the New Republic having to cope with the fact that one of their ships, shot down early in the war, poisoned an entire planet, and that the Empire was the one providing aid in the aftermath.

Although it's later revealed in The Last Command that said space battle took place something like 50 years prior, which put it firmly into Clone Wars era, not Empire/Rebellion era. But yes, until that revelation, they still had to deal with the concept that the Empire had supposedly actually done some good.

I think I read somewhere that Saw Gerrera, who appeared in The Clone Wars TV show in season 5, was definitely considered an extremist and had had a break-up with the Rebellion due to said methods.

'Nother topic, I just finished (last night) reading the (now-Legends) "Legacy of the Force" novels, and it was really, really neat to see Darth Vader in Rogue One open up a can of Sith on the Rebel soldiers while at the same time reading of similar scenarios performed by Darth Caedus (do NOT Google that name if you don't want massive spoilers).

Kinda looking forward to the day when they make a rated-R SW movie. Lightsabers both cleave and cauterize simultaneously, right? ;7
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Computer generated Peter Cushing had too much subsurface scattering.  Part of why he was so scary looking back when he was alive was how his flesh seemed so tight over his bones.  His flesh seemed too fleshy in CG.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:04:30 am by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Computer generated Peter Cushing had too much subsurface scattering.  Part of why he was so scary looking back when he was alive was how his flesh seemed so tight over his bones.  His flesh seemed too fleshy in CG.

Ah, that makes sense. And something else I've noticed here and in Tron: Legacy was that the CG faces never look as dry as real skin, and the mo-capped motions always seem just a little off, either in timing or in smoothness.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Just watched it last night.  Two solid thumbs up, IMO.  :yes:

I saw it earlier today. Very good overall, and much better than I was expecting from the typical Star Wars fare. Most of the characters were fairly standard (with the exception of that droid, who was great), but I like how the rebels were not portrayed as just generic good guys, and it's hinted that they are motivated by revenge as much as anything else and have committed many atrocities themselves. The only thing that was a bit silly was the part with the Star Destroyer and the smaller ship. You would think it would either tear a hole in the Star Destroyer or flatten itself.

Not really.  The corvette did not engage full throttle until after contact, and then basically you would have whatever momentum the Star Destroyer could be pushed up to, backed by its mass, as well as the continued application of thrust from the corvette behind it.  What caused the mayhem was the mass and speed of the Star Destroyer, with all of the energy gained by its momentum (in the movie, the Star Destroyer looked close together.  In reality, you have to remember Star Destroyers are multiple kilometers long, so you had a distance of probably at least a couple of kilometers to accelerate that mass before impact.

Spoiler:
So they finally let 95+% of the main characters and good guys die, like would likely happen if the situation was reality.  Also showcased the Empire's brutality that drove the Rebellion to such desperation - can't risk anything escaping, just glass the city from orbit, their side, innocents, and if it's too much trouble to get them out, our side too.  Industrial accidents are on an upswing now a days...

Just watched it last night.  Two solid thumbs up, IMO.  :yes:

I saw it earlier today. Very good overall, and much better than I was expecting from the typical Star Wars fare. Most of the characters were fairly standard (with the exception of that droid, who was great), but I like how the rebels were not portrayed as just generic good guys, and it's hinted that they are motivated by revenge as much as anything else and have committed many atrocities themselves. The only thing that was a bit silly was the part with the Star Destroyer and the smaller ship. You would think it would either tear a hole in the Star Destroyer or flatten itself.

Not really.  The corvette did not engage full throttle until after contact, and then basically you would have whatever momentum the Star Destroyer could be pushed up to, backed by its mass, as well as the continued application of thrust from the corvette behind it.  What caused the mayhem was the mass and speed of the Star Destroyer, with all of the energy gained by its momentum (in the movie, the Star Destroyer looked close together.  In reality, you have to remember Star Destroyers are multiple kilometers long, so you had a distance of probably at least a couple of kilometers to accelerate that mass before impact.

Spoiler:
So they finally let 95+% of the main characters and good guys die, like would likely happen if the situation was reality.  Also showcased the Empire's brutality that drove the Rebellion to such desperation - can't risk anything escaping, just glass the city from orbit, their side, innocents, and if it's too much trouble to get them out, our side too.  Industrial accidents are on an upswing now a days...

Yeah.  I've heard a lot of people complaining about this issue, but it doesn't seem like a problem at all to me.  It was acting like a tug boat.  Totally plausible, especially in space where it doesn't have to act against friction.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Hammerhead tugboat was fine, tho quite surprising. My main issue was that spastic hatch Jyn had to clamber through towards the end. Who the hell designs a hatch like that??!? :hopping:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hammerhead tugboat was fine, tho quite surprising. My main issue was that spastic hatch Jyn had to clamber through towards the end. Who the hell designs a hatch like that??!? :hopping:

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

The same guy that decided that imperial ships and stations don't need rails?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

My impression of the hatch was that it was malfunctioning due to the damage caused to the building. Don't ask me why a hatch would malfunction like that though...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
And here I thought Rogue One was to be a standalone film...

George Lucas to direct Rogue One sequel
*cough cough*

Hehe, got a chuckle out of that one, thanks :)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I enjoyed it and would rate it a solid "pretty good." Technically super impressive, everything looks amazing. Plot was mostly coherent, and didn't have too many painful plot holes or obnoxious fanservice. TFA was much worse in this regard. TFA, however, succeeded in making me care about the characters, and R1 did not. Emotionally I found TFA a lot more effective. R1 had a lot of characters that were almost interesting but never got enough development, so they came across mostly as soulless archetypes or one-liner generators.

Both movies are really easy to pick apart and criticize after the fact, but at the end of the day TFA is a movie I'd watch again. R1 is a movie I'd watch again only if I wanted to show off special effects on a new TV or something.

P.S. Darth Vader making a cartoon-villain "choke" pun? Really?

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
P.S. Darth Vader making a cartoon-villain "choke" pun? Really?

Yeah, that was super awkward. Dunno how they managed to make it so cheesy.

Offline Aesaar

IMO this movie was immeasurably better than TFA.  This is mainly because it actually tries to do something new (and succeeds), whereas TFA is so painfully formulaic I haven't been able to complete a second viewing.  TFA is just ANH with ****tier characters.

It feels like the creators of this movie cared, whereas TFA feels technically competent but passionless (because Abrams is a hack).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:44:41 am by Aesaar »