Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi 2nd trailer  (Read 7212 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi 2nd trailer
lets get them pew pew thats what geek culture is all about man pew pew pew shwoink bhsszz bhszz pew pew pew cant wait for it BIG LAZOORRSZ.

wait wait. I remember a joke.

Lemme say it here:

"Star Wars is Geek Culture"

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I'm plenty excited for this film. Part of the reason for that is that these new Star Wars films are remixes of the old ones: Sure, that means that they aren't ~original~, but it does mean that there's a solid base there that the prequels lacked. I'm looking forward to the story this trilogy tells; as Mikey Neumann said in his essay about TFA: This new trilogy does the right things in bringing the same feelings as the original back in a more modern format.

Wholeheartedly agree.  And since Star Wars is entirely about the whole cycle of Force balance and history repeating itself, this actually makes sense.

Meanwhile Blade Runner is actually good and interesting and is getting shredded in the theathers. So excuse the **** out of me.

Blade Runner is getting good reviews in pretty much every single review I've seen.  Not getting traction in theatres is likely due to lack of broad appeal.  A lot of people are under the impression its a reboot.

Also, my comment has to do with the fact that people are already slamming the latest SW entry on the basis of clips in a couple of trailers (which I'm betting most of aren't even in the damn film) rather than having actually seen it.  That was my criticism.  You want to argue it's bad after you actually watch it, fill your boots.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:15:10 pm by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

The original Blade Runner was also well reviewed and didn't do all that well in theatres.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
I just saw Rogue One, again, I was trying to remember why I disliked it the first time, and I did remembered: "The Force" wasn't even there it was just intelligent living beings doing the best they could with what they have, same thing as we humans do in this Universe when religions fails every time, noting but a myth, except the blind guardian guy that even being on the "Jedi Planet" and being guardians when the Jedi Temple was operational didn't have much force use, just Kung-Fu and good "aim", nothing like actually applying a force and seeing on other movies, even in little amounts it's a demonstration of it, hence worth believing in it, the girl had a crystal to make a light saber, and she didn't just looked at it twice and when getting the tape she could have use some, at least to safe herself in the end, she just died like the rest, and her mom recommendation of trust in the force was void, many physics and realistic situations failures, crappy boring dialogs and solutions to scenes and situations, you wonder I could have wrote this, I can believe this is a SW movie, it's so simple and dumb and boring, just because is in the SW universe is good? who makes this crappy movies? who let them? Mediocre at best, but people just go for the feelings and what's showing them instead of that but also the logic of things, that creates harmony and a beautiful complete experience, wow I can't believe how little demanding are people when the hype is high and something is famous for their past glories instead for current merits, but I guess that show biz and most people just fell for it, as long as it's entertaining enough... and also true what they say: mediocrity is underrated

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
Jesus, guys, could you be a more negative about a film you've seen a couple minutes of trailers for.  Honestly, this **** is entirely what's wrong with "geek culture."

To be fair, I think it's a product of the internet's influence on culture in general.  If you wanted to ***** about the Ewoks or whatever back in the day you had to hop on your bike, pedal down to the Comic Book Shop and find someone to complain to (who not necessarily was going to agree with you).  Now no matter what your opinion is you can find a community just a internet connection away to stoke those fires.  I was initially disappointed by Phantom Menace for example, but I don't think I would have developed the keen edge of vehemence for it if it had opened before the internet existed.

While its generally in good fun with pop culture crap I tend to believe the overall effect to more important societal issues is becoming detrimental.
I actually loved Phantom Menace.. One of my favorite Star Wars movies

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I actually loved Phantom Menace.. One of my favorite Star Wars movies

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I just saw Rogue One, again, I was trying to remember why I disliked it the first time, and I did remembered: "The Force" wasn't even there it was just intelligent living beings doing the best they could with what they have, same thing as we humans do in this Universe when religions fails every time, noting but a myth, except the blind guardian guy that even being on the "Jedi Planet" and being guardians when the Jedi Temple was operational didn't have much force use, just Kung-Fu and good "aim", nothing like actually applying a force and seeing on other movies, even in little amounts it's a demonstration of it, hence worth believing in it, the girl had a crystal to make a light saber, and she didn't just looked at it twice and when getting the tape she could have use some, at least to safe herself in the end, she just died like the rest, and her mom recommendation of trust in the force was void, many physics and realistic situations failures, crappy boring dialogs and solutions to scenes and situations, you wonder I could have wrote this, I can believe this is a SW movie, it's so simple and dumb and boring, just because is in the SW universe is good? who makes this crappy movies? who let them? Mediocre at best, but people just go for the feelings and what's showing them instead of that but also the logic of things, that creates harmony and a beautiful complete experience, wow I can't believe how little demanding are people when the hype is high and something is famous for their past glories instead for current merits, but I guess that show biz and most people just fell for it, as long as it's entertaining enough... and also true what they say: mediocrity is underrated
I don't even understand what you're on about here, but Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie besides ESB.  Like, I was legitimately shocked by how good it turned out.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't even understand what you're on about here, but Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie besides ESB.  Like, I was legitimately shocked by how good it turned out.

Yeah, Rogue One is the sort of adult Star Wars movie that could've been a massive disaster but instead turned out really good. Its focus on the grunts of the setting (instead of going for all that high and mighty Jedi stuff), and its showing of how the Force was treated by the non-Force users out there was just great. It showing us Vader at his most intimidating also helped to fill out a piece in the Anakin Skywalker storyline that was sort of missing. As a companion piece to ANH, it makes ANH better by establishing Vader as a holy terror that mere mortals just can't handle (something that ANH kiiiinnnndaaaaa fails at), and by showing us just how far the Republic has fallen since the end of Episode 3.

This movie didn't need to exist, but I am glad that it does.

Also, it features the single best space battle sequence of the Star Wars movies so far (the best overall battle sequence is still ROTJ's; nothing else matches the way that film intercuts the space, ground and emotional battles perfectly).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's my favourite terror sequence (vader boarding the command cruiser) true and I salute all involved in securing the plans.

#katarndiditfirstthough

Edit- autocorrect spelled vader wrong.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 03:06:23 am by Colonol Dekker »
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Highly agreed. The battle scenes were phenomenal. My favourite sequence is when the rebels try to escape only for Vader's star destroyer to warp in and just utterly shred them.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
It's my favourite terror sequence (vara boarding the command cruiser) true and I salute all involved in securing the plans.

#katarndiditfirstthough
Before katarn the guys in X-wing set up a fake imperial satellite grid to intercept the plans, everybody knows that.
#katarndiditsecond

The original Blade Runner was also well reviewed and didn't do all that well in theatres.
From what I gather reception was mixed, many critics found it boring only to course correct later when it became a cult movie.
It's a bit like what happened with ESB, the critics didn't consider it the "one of the best sequels ever" like today and lamented that it wasn't as "fun" as the first, ROTJ was reviewed better at the time because of that.
In general I feel many critics then and now have trouble with judging sci-fi, fantasy and the fantastical in general and only after a couple of decades get a better perspective.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:56:24 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
Hwat I'm about, well I'm about of what I wrote before, how much Rogue One and Episode VII The Force Awakens sucked for me, and this is all subjective, for you it was the best for you accomplish your expectation for me not. so there is no best, implying general consensus, there are critics for these movies at least on the points I made, but you clearly don't even consider those points, as I wrote you people that liked it go for the feeling and willing to forgive instantly if anything doesn't make much sense or just go for whatever plot and visuals that are not too much incoherent or forced, if it looks smooth enough and keeps your emotions at certain height then it's good, but I'm those people that are most of the time checking the coherence of something and if a movies is has flaws probably I'll spot them and here there are many, but I guess everyone needs a degree of denial and fantasy, specially when you're going to watch for 2 hours something that doesn't exist at all, I seem to have lost pretty much that, for now at least

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you're trying to claim I'm the sort of person who doesn't take a critical approach to consuming entertainment, then you're grossly mistaken.  You claim Rogue One had logical flaws, so cite them in a clear manner, and we'll see if they hold up.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm those people that are most of the time checking the coherence of something and if a movies is has flaws probably I'll spot them and here there are many

I'm just going to take this statement and contrast it with this earlier statement of yours:

I just saw Rogue One, again, I was trying to remember why I disliked it the first time, and I did remembered: "The Force" wasn't even there it was just intelligent living beings doing the best they could with what they have, same thing as we humans do in this Universe when religions fails every time, noting but a myth, except the blind guardian guy that even being on the "Jedi Planet" and being guardians when the Jedi Temple was operational didn't have much force use, just Kung-Fu and good "aim", nothing like actually applying a force and seeing on other movies, even in little amounts it's a demonstration of it, hence worth believing in it, the girl had a crystal to make a light saber, and she didn't just looked at it twice and when getting the tape she could have use some, at least to safe herself in the end, she just died like the rest, and her mom recommendation of trust in the force was void

Now, if I understand the above correctly, you disliked Rogue One because the Force was something that was reduced to merely a religious belief, not an active thing people could use as it was in the prequels.
Consider this: In Episode 4 (and, to an extent The Force Awakens), the Force was reduced to something of a religious thing. You had a high-ranking imperial officer doubting the existence of the Force in Vader's presence, despite said officer almost certainly coming of age during the latter days of the old republic. You had Han Solo doubting its existence as well, despite the same fact being true.

What does that tell us? That, for the vast majority of sentient beings in the Republic, the Jedi were not an actual presence they ever encountered in real life. If they did, their reluctance to actually use the Force in any flashy way would reduce them to being what amounts to overhyped warrior monks in the eyes of the populace.
Thus, we get people who, despite presumably having access to the official history of the Republic, have no reason to believe that the Force is anything more than a religion.

Rogue One, then, treating the Force as something that seemingly doesn't exist except to fuel Chirrut's beliefs and as something that Jyn Erso uses as a confidence building tool, is perfectly in line with (or, to use another word, perfectly coherent with) the state of the galaxy as we know it during A New Hope.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
@Mongoose I'm not going to do that, people that don't see them tend to deny them and are biased for their discussion, it's a waste of time, they're in the movie if you appreciate realism and harmonious coherence or realistic plots, you clearly don't, and you're happy with your liking of them, you might be a critic when someone pointed out but clearly not when you're emotionally invested in a movie like you have demonstrated to be; why don't you watch the movie again, this time with more realistic perspective in mind? And it's way too much to go watch it again and take note of all the flaws, they're many more than dozen I once tried to calculate and lost count.

@The_E Yes you got my point right, and your analysis IMO is correct, but as I have read in the synopsis of some games and books derived from the 3-trilogy saga, there are several types of Jedi, so the diffent light saber colors, with different types of Force use and non-Jedi Force users, and even the other extreme, Jedi with little use Force but extremely good at fencing, so it's a vast range of combinations and degrees of strength of each, so at least a small degree/ability from the Force would be there, at least the statistical bell said so, given these derived stories that assure this is the case, so yes Force Users/Jedi were rare/untrained, but in Episode 3 you see there were many Jedi, so that and many more should be around but untrained, so at least 1 character should have force use in a bare minimum, I thought was the daughter of the scientists, since she had a Light Saber crystal about the right size to start building 1, but yes it's possible that what you describe could happen, but given strong presence and influence of the force in several degrees throughout the Galaxy shouldn't be probable, so it doesn't make sense, at least not to me.

Anyway, it's sci-fi and I've been disappointed often enough to never take them for granted until they deliver and have little to no expectation to be objective about the message and delivery of it, to appreciate the effort by its merits, but I take the first released trilogy, they had almost no lack of logic, it was the way the general structure should be, not exactly, not a derivative but a the characteristics, the timing of the scenes, the speed of them, the coherence of them and their advancement, and so many details escape me now that leaves someone that tends to analyze things as they happen, convinced enough to give way to emotional investment and enjoy the movie, but so many little flaws just when they were doing OK several minutes into some parts of the movie, lazy writing or lack of creativity, anyway, as for my standards/Episode 3 standards, they're inferior quality, so this is not something we can agree on by checking the logic, in the end is subjective, you saw the same movie for me was disappointing at best, for you and others was a master piece, we clearly have different entertainment standards. People tells me I'm a perfectionist and look for even insignificant details, but it's a small thorn that even when I can't see it, it bothers you, it's there and will keep hurting until you search for it and see what why, and I know there are many small details, I don't want to go into them.

Something similar with the latest Star Trek movie, analyzing later on the story was a cliche that an amateur would pull out to compensate lack of creativity and imagination, what it could have been a great movie, some movies took years even 10+ or decades to come up with a good sequel because the candidates weren't along the storyline, and generally result in great movie series, but SW case people wanted more SW, wanted the last trilogy done badly, but George Lucas was burned out and old, so something for sure was missing from the second released trilogy, so they put JJ Abrams in the pilot seat and he did what he could on his own way, not really SW and not really Star Trek, and now we have this Star Trek Black Ops called Discovery, OK, I'm sleepy and can't think clear anymore, cheers

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
@Mongoose I'm not going to do that, people that don't see them tend to deny them and are biased for their discussion, it's a waste of time, they're in the movie if you appreciate realism and harmonious coherence or realistic plots, you clearly don't, and you're happy with your liking of them, you might be a critic when someone pointed out but clearly not when you're emotionally invested in a movie like you have demonstrated to be; why don't you watch the movie again, this time with more realistic perspective in mind? And it's way too much to go watch it again and take note of all the flaws, they're many more than dozen I once tried to calculate and lost count.

You're willing to claim Rogue 1 has logical flaws, but you're not willing to cite at least one to back up your argument? If there are so many, as you claim, then surely it wouldn't be so difficult to bring up just one example to prove your point?

Rogue One, then, treating the Force as something that seemingly doesn't exist except to fuel Chirrut's beliefs and as something that Jyn Erso uses as a confidence building tool, is perfectly in line with (or, to use another word, perfectly coherent with) the state of the galaxy as we know it during A New Hope.

Very much agreed and in all honesty I think I prefer it this way. It makes a force-user that much more rare and awe-inspiring. The Vader scenes had so much weight behind them because of this.

Part of the problem of the prequels was that it didn't get this point across. At least half of the action scenes had the lightsabers coming out and jedi doing flashy force feats. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it should be done in such a way as to show that this is not a common occurrence, that any involvement of the jedi means **** is getting very very serious, which I suppose it was in the context of the prequels.

Attack of the Clones was the worst offender with the Jedi spam on Geonosis. I preferred seeing Anakin and Obi-Wan having to fight off the pit beasts using nothing but skills and guile (Padme was...also there...I guess). In this sense I think Phantom Menace actually had a better balance since it was limited to the Obi-Wan Qui-Gon duo.

Jedi are rare. We should not be seeing any great number of them outside of the academy unless there's like a horde of Sith trying to genocide some race or other.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
So in other words, you can't cite any concrete examples of flaws and are admitting that you don't have a leg to stand on in this discussion.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
So in other words, you can't cite any concrete examples of flaws and are admitting that you don't have a leg to stand on in this discussion.
And now you're trying to bite me into it, by falsely accusing me of something, same way you probably BS yourself into thinking that movie had 0 flaws and it's a great movie because you wanted to believe so, I already gave my reasons and you just validated them, I'm not going to write anymore about it

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And now you're trying to bite me into it, by falsely accusing me of something, same way you probably BS yourself into thinking that movie had 0 flaws and it's a great movie because you wanted to believe so, I already gave my reasons and you just validated them, I'm not going to write anymore about it

You cannot have it both ways. You can't accuse us of something and then abandon the thread when we're asking for clarifications on what you meant by claiming that we are falsely accusing you of something. That's not how civilized discussions work.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
Well, I thought people were commenting about it and given their takes on SW movies, not actually wanting confirmation on things, and civilized discussion work up to 1 of the parties don't want to discuss it, I don't, so it's over, see? specially in a shallow subjective subject of how did I liked a movie, The same way E, you didn't wanted to continue our conversation about the CCleaner subject, I respected that, civilized conversation doesn't mean I'm going to answer whatever you want the way you want it as much as you want it, you might request I might accept or decline, and on this subject I decline, period, I'm having it both ways. Also I'm giving my opinion what you're not seeing and I'm not asking you to prove me why you're right, your opinions why you're right are given and are cherry picked, but I'm not challenging them, I read them I disagree and I move on. I suggested to watch it again and try to be logical about it to find the errors, more often than not people forgive a lot of BS on series and movies to keep them coherent and liking them, so it's more common than not, not noticing the errors, so how about you fans go make the effort to by yourselves see what's wrong with it? odds are against you, so you're probably very biased about it

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:30:46 am by technopredator »