Author Topic: Speed units, ms-1 or m/s?  (Read 40441 times)

Offline Shade

Speed units, ms-1 or m/s?
Some people have been wondering why ms-1 is used and not the more intuitive m/s, and I didn't have a good answer for them. So, anyone remember why ms-1 is used in the first place (which I don't), and which notation would you prefer be used?
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Speed units, ms-1 or m/s?
Well, ms-1 has a nice little exponent :p
I actually have no idea, but I don't mind either way. Both are understandable.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
During my career as a physics undergrad, I saw professors using both types of notation.  It seems to come down to personal preference more than anything else.  The exponent notation could be argued to be slightly clearer in a purely linear setting like browser text, since it eliminates any potential ambiguity over whether you're using the forward slash as a division sign or a separator.  Plus, exponents just look cooler. :p

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I didn't know there was such a notation as ms-1. All the teachers that taught me math and physics used the m/s way.

Isn't this used only in English-speaking countries?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I vote for m/s as it's more intuitive.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I learned both in physics, and to be honest, I really don't care either way

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Maybe its easier to keep the units in check when calculating using the exponent notation. But m/s would be more intuitive for Wiki use, imo.

Offline Topgun

I didn't know ms^-1 was ever used.
I learned something!

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
X^(-1) reads 1/X, so ms^(-1) reads m x 1/s = m/s

The exponent stuff looks so much better and more "pro".

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I've always considered m/s more common. In general, I'd feel safer with m/s than ms-1 because if one copies the text to something that doesn't understand superscripts, it'll show up as ms-1, which is kind of confusing.

Which I'd use would probably depend upon the context, and what type of calculator I was using that was most relevant. :p
-C

Offline bruce89

Some people have been wondering why ms-1 is used and not the more intuitive m/s, and I didn't have a good answer for them. So, anyone remember why ms-1 is used in the first place (which I don't), and which notation would you prefer be used?

I was the person who changed this. Just a bit of pedantry I'm afraid.