Author Topic: The MediaVPs 2014 Open Beta [CLOSED - 1/1/14]  (Read 60926 times)

Re: The MediaVPs 2014 Open Beta [BETA 2 - 12/7/13]
I don't know if it's been mentionned yet, but in the first Vasudan mission, it is possible to give attack orders to both the JUnit and Tatenen, potentially moving the latter out of the Sathanas' firing arcs.

this latest mediaVPs is astonishing! i actually tested BP 1st and it works quite well with it! i was able to get through AOA and came across no major issues. my 2 fav ships which were completely redone have to be the sobek and sathanas (looking in the tech room)! they look incredible! cant wait to see what else u guys have in store during this beta! 2 thumbs WAY UP so far!  :cool:

I don't know if it's been mentionned yet, but in the first Vasudan mission, it is possible to give attack orders to both the JUnit and Tatenen, potentially moving the latter out of the Sathanas' firing arcs.
Always been possible.. :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

So, it wasn't considered worth fixing then?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Not FSU's job, they make things pretty while trying to preserve Retail behaviour, like with FSPort bug fixing the original campaign is some other person's job.

you want bug fixing then that needs to be its own project as is being theoretically discussed http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86411.0
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, not entirely. We do fix some mission bugs. Bugs that are clearly bugs, we fix right up. This one could be argued either way and I have not looked at the mission to decide if it will be fixed or not.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

I tried installing the new mediaVPs today, even updated to a new nightly build (Dec 20th), and was unable to get the new mediaVPs to load. I tried two different launchers and a couple of other nightly builds to see if I could fix the problem. I thought there might be an issue with a BP build from a portion of the error, but I made sure that I had selected the mediaVP2014 mod in the launcher. Some suggestions or help on how to proceed would be appreciated! The output looks similar to an error encountered on the first page of this thread but the suggested solution of another nightly build didn't work. Here's the output code I got:

bp2-shp.tbm(line 423):
Error: Required token = [#End], [$Subsystem:], [$Name], or [$Template], found [$Glowpoint overrides: ( "blue_glow4_small_30:1" "red_glow_20:2"].

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_1_SSE-20131217_r10241.exe! <no symbol>

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is not an issue with the MediaVPs, but with the fact that BP is not compatible with standard builds out of the box. You need one of these builds to play the game
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's a little funny that your game is trying to load BP2 tables at all if you only have mediavps_2014 selected as a mod.

I downloaded The E's suggestion for the BP builds and am running at 3.7.1. Only when I run it with blueplanet2 as the mod do I get the game to start and have the option of playing the original freespace 2 campaigns along with the blue planet mods. So I changed the mod.ini file within the blueplanet2 mod directory to point to mediavps_2014_beta as the secondarylist. Will that pull in the new mediaVPs when playing the original freespace 2 missions?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
It's best if you don't do that as Blue Planet hasn't been tested with the new mediavps.  If you want to play Blue Planet, select Blue Planet as a mod.  If you want to play Freespace 2, select the mediavps.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Definitely true. Test the MVPs on their own, then test them with BP to see if there are any incompatibilities.

I'm having a problem with one of the missions being unfinishable. I'm running fs2_open_3_7_1_SSE-20131127_r10174.exe with the latest mediavps, and Feint! Parry! Riposte! (the one with Colossus vs NTD Repulse) has a couple of issues.
Sometimes, I won't get the command to go back to base. Ending the mission after the objectives are complete gives the victory briefing text, but classes it as mission failed. I've noticed this happening when one of the cruisers dies too quickly for it to be made invulnerable until after the arrival of the Repulse.
Or, if I do get the command, I get a crash to desktop.

Is this a problem with my configuration?

Running a standalone version of freespace 2 with just the new mediaVPs and was able to get everything to start just fine. Everything looks great with the new graphics, but the only problem I'm running into now is that I can't jump out at the end of a mission - or any time during a mission for that matter. I've checked the assigned keys for warpout and even swapped them just to make sure. No matter what keys I select for warp out, it brings up the communication window and I never can finish the mission.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What happens if you create a new pilot? Also post a debug log!

Well I feel kinda dumb now. I created a new pilot file, and swapped out the warpout command to Alt-2. That worked just fine!  Alt-J/Shift-J or any combination of that wouldn't work. I ran it in debug mode, but I'm not sure where to get any output to post. Maybe it was a problem with the pilot file?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The debug log is located in [your FreeSpace directory]/data/fs2_open.log. Pastebin or post it in code tags.

Does alt-J work under the new pilot file?

Alt-J didn't work under the new pilot code, but when I switched it to Alt-2 it worked as expected, and the objectives menu switched to recognize that as the warpout command. Log file is too large to post in code tags, so I attached it.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It seems quite likely that your issue is not MediaVPs related because a new pilot and/or keybind fixed the issue. That tells me that the mission logic is fine and something else is wrong with your install.

Quite separately, I do want to say that it's not ideal, but the MediaVPs_2014 Final will almost definitely require a nightly build. Under different circumstances, the FSU team would probably have waited for another SCP Release Candidate, at least, to post a Beta. But that's not how things went down. So instead of removing things that have already been tested, we'll release as is and hope a new SCP final comes soon.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If $Countermeasure Type is the only thing that requires a nightly build, and the rest will work on 3.7.0, then you could use version-specific commenting on those lines.