Author Topic: Wing Commander Arena  (Read 16577 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_4033_en.html

On Xbox Live Arcade; I think it looks kind of messy and ugly, to be honest, a straight MP arcade game with a famous name tacked on to sell it better.

Yeah those shots certainly don't seem to have much of a connection to the series that I've heard of. (And very rarely played. Although that'll change now that I'm home and have saga to check out).
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I couldn't care less. This is not Wing Commander that I know and care about.

Speaking of Saga - we are preparing to launch some very exciting enchancements next week :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

This is definetely not wing commander. Thats like making Quake a sidescroller and then having nothing in common with the original just the names.

Those cap ships look like Imperium starships LOL

HAHA I'd like to see some poor crazy soul try to model that for FS2  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 05:38:11 am by Scooby_Doo »
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
The few pics of the fighters looked quite ok but otherwise that doesnt seem to have Wing Commanderish feeling at all. AFAIK it is a 2D multiplayer arcade shooter. A big disappointment for me at least. I had hoped for Wing Commander to be revived but not in this manner.

Those cap ships look like Imperium starships LOL

Battlefleet Gothic mod for FS2 would be cool though  :nod:
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I must admit to big concerns about this. Whilst it's nice to see Wing Commanfer appearing again, from the shots above I get the feeling it is going to be everything we were afraid FS3 would be if it were on console.

I've got a nasty suspicion that rather than being the rebirth of the series, this could very well end up the final nail in the coffin.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
[Vader]Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo![/Vader]

Offline Gai Daigoji

• Gekigangar!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/neo-terra
I think its safe to say that after this comes out it will be the end of Wing Commander.
Freespace 2: Neo-Terra - My Freespace 2 website that holds my completed FS2 campaigns.

Darkness Rising - Current campaign I'm working on.

Mission Designer for the Wing Commander Saga.

CURRENT PROJECT: Darkness Rising, WCS
COMPLETED PROJECTS: Neo-Terra, Unification Prequel, Solar Wars Chapter 1, Deep Blood, Return to Neo-Terra (Part 1).

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I think its safe to say that after this comes out it will be the end of Wing Commander.

Only over my dead body :)

*BANG*

:snipe:

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
The CIC is going crazy about this. Funny, I get unbanned and the next day, this pops up. To me, it looks like like they're leaning towards the style the movie established, which is okay (I guess) with me. Some people said there were classic WC ships (I think Rapier, Broadsword, and Dralthi were the ones noticed) in the screenshots, but I didn't see them.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
The CIC is going crazy about this. Funny, I get unbanned and the next day, this pops up. To me, it looks like like they're leaning towards the style the movie established, which is okay (I guess) with me. Some people said there were classic WC ships (I think Rapier, Broadsword, and Dralthi were the ones noticed) in the screenshots, but I didn't see them.

neither do I.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Meh, looks a lot like a spiffed up version of that multiplayer-only 2D-space-shooter from the late 90s, the name of which I forgot. It's kinda sad to watch one of the great space shooter series being mutilated in such a way.

But it's also fun to watch the CIC going absolutely ape**** over this ;)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
uh oh. you know what this means!?? FREESPACE IS NEXT!!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHAAHAHAHAHAAAAAHHH!!!! AAAAHHHAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

*dies

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Looks more like subspace/continuum than Wing Commander... :(

That reminds me, Continuum on XBLA would be lovely.

Offline Gai Daigoji

• Gekigangar!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/neo-terra
It's just a cheap attempt to milk the Wing Commander IP for money, and in the process they are ruining the games that came before it. Makes me lose my faith in some of the stupid choices Games companies make know-a-days.
Freespace 2: Neo-Terra - My Freespace 2 website that holds my completed FS2 campaigns.

Darkness Rising - Current campaign I'm working on.

Mission Designer for the Wing Commander Saga.

CURRENT PROJECT: Darkness Rising, WCS
COMPLETED PROJECTS: Neo-Terra, Unification Prequel, Solar Wars Chapter 1, Deep Blood, Return to Neo-Terra (Part 1).

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Looks more like subspace/continuum than Wing Commander... :(

Ah yes, I meant Subspace.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Meh, looks a lot like a spiffed up version of that multiplayer-only 2D-space-shooter from the late 90s, the name of which I forgot. It's kinda sad to watch one of the great space shooter series being mutilated in such a way.

But it's also fun to watch the CIC going absolutely ape**** over this ;)

The one I'm thinking of is Silpheed.

Heck CiC goes ape**** for the slightest things, guess that what happens when you have rabies  :lol:

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Battlefleet Gothic mod for FS2 would be cool though  :nod:

Ya that would be an interesting challenge.  Are there any models of the ships?

Offline Sphynx

Didn't someone make a top down game of a Herc II versus a Mara or something like that some time ago?
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.